Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Truncated/thin whispy short hairs

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by hairlosshelp, Jun 20, 2015.

1. hairlosshelp

hairlosshelp Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shedding for nearly 8 months now and these pour out of my head far more than the long ones (but those are still shedding). My part seemed to be getting thinner and now suddenly it's widened out again...can't even tell if this is just my mind playing tricks on me at this point. I'm just so angry because I was trying to see the positive side of ANYTHING lately and then today after my shower when hair poured out of my head I sat with it on my shoulders waiting for it to dry and when I tied it up 30+ short thin whispy hairs were on my shoulders. This is like a cruel joke. I'm going on a short trip in August and this shedding NEEDS to resolve by then and have my gap close up a bit because I can't deal with the trauma of it during that after barricading myself from the world for the past 2 months. This can't be it, right? It has to be better than this, no one deserves to go through things like this.

2. kitty_kates

kitty_kates Member

Dislikes Received:
    Im sorry you're feeling so low. However, those little wispy hairs can indicate TE (or CTE if its going on 8+ months).

After TE, follicles often cycle through weak short growth cycles before returning to normal. That could very well be what youre seeing. If youre losing more of these than long thicker hairs, it may be an indication that your TE is ending.

I went through a bad 2 month shed about 2 months ago, due to bad SD. Now i shed a few long hairs, but most are very fine, about 2 to 3 inches long. I assume these are just from the TE affected follicles.

3. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you! I've also heard that it can indicate the ending of TE but I've also heard a lot of really unfavourable theories. I have Androgenetic Alopecia btw (but also CTE) and the reason I say that is because even though I just got diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia this year, I had actually had frontal hair loss characteristic of FPHL when I was 19 years old (got diagnosed 1 month before turning 25) and I've had sheds but nothing this bad before (like lasting less than a month) because they weren't so noticeable.

I got crown loss this year after 5 years of having Androgenetic Alopecia that's why I'm hoping it's TE loss that will come back.
    These are some pics after my Androgenetic Alopecia started (but don't be fooled - the thinning is under the bangs)
    I had to crop them because I don't have an editing tool on my laptop atm to cover my face:

My hair @ 21 years old 2 years after thinning started:
    [​IMG]

My hair @ 23 years old 4 years after thinning started:
    [​IMG]

My hair @ 24 years old nearly 5 years after thinning started and around the beginning stages of the massive shed:
    [​IMG]

There's a world of a difference (I had posted pics of what my scalp looks like now) in a few months whereas there wasn't that much difference in years (between 19-24). That's why I'm really hoping those truncated hairs are TE shed that will return...sigh.

4. Sakura

Sakura Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    barely noticeable Hairlosshelp, i'm glad this is going slow for you! i hope your TE hair comes back so the part looks even tighter =)

5. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    Sakura, unfortunately those are older pics taken June 2011, June 2013 and late 2014 when my thinning started. My crown loss is REALLY bad atm and my hair density is half as much. The only reason I know I had Androgenetic Alopecia since early 2009 though was because I started having frontal hair loss then which I covered with front bangs and side bangs. Now during this shed it's progressed to a really wide part and crown loss and I've never had a really long shed with lots of truncated hairs before that's why I'm really hoping it's a recoverable shed rather than Androgenetic Alopecia's shed if that makes sense.

Thank you though, I really really hope so!

BTW, if anyone wants to connect on social media to give each other support I can PM you my instagram (it's the only account I have open after this).

6. Sakura

Dislikes Received:
    sorry to hear that =( can you still hide your loss? i had a TE and then my bangs dissapeared, they haven't grown back so i guess i have Androgenetic Alopecia too, i also had super thick hair so the hair loss has really affected me. it came really fast! not a sign of hairloss before the TE =( i don't really want to leave my house anymore and some friends have even laughed at me. i'm thinking on clip in bangs. my part hasn't widened but i did lost 60% of my density in 4 months and regrowth has been minimal. i also shed those truncated hairs. i feel like our story is similar
    i'd love too but i deleted instagram and facebook, i don't like pictures anymore *cries* this is my only account, and another hair loss forum of spanish speakers xD lol
    but we can talk over here all you want :D

7. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    I can't hide it anymore unfortunately! That's why I'm really bummed out.. I lost more than 50%, I used to have really really thick hair too that's why the first few years of hair loss hadn't affected me and it still looked normal to others, but these last 8 months have been a nightmare. Yeah the frontal thinning tends to be a sign of Androgenetic Alopecia "FPHL" but I was pretty ignorant about it though - I had never really even researched just because my hair was able to be styled to look normal and I could also straighten it and bleach it. I only really started doing research once the part was widening.

Yeah I haven't uploaded a pic of myself since NYE minus an old selfie I took from before the hair shed. This is also the first time my hair is my natural colour (black roots growing out) since 2009 and also the first time that it's not at a really long length - pretty depressing to notice. There's not a day that I won't wish for my hair to grow back.

8. Sakura

Dislikes Received:
    i know how you feel! ( and not in the way people without hairloss tell you, i really do!) i lost 60% in months, it's a big shock to me too! it's not your fault, no young girl would consider she has Androgenetic Alopecia because a little thinning in the front. i only thinned after the shed started, a few months back i had really thick bangs, i'm screwed =(
    is there someone on your family with hairloss? i don't remember if you mentioned it. i know it is definitely NOT THE SAME, but have you considered a topper? i'm buying one, i think it will make me feel less ugly and nobody has to know i wear it.
    tell me about it, i haven't take a pic of me since december when the shed was really high, i also cut it collarbone lenght, my hair used to grow past my waist and yes it is very depressing =( i think about hair every waking moment. :/

9. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly! At the time that my hair started to thin out I was told it was stress from uni by the derms (without even REALLY looking at my hair). I didn't even know what alopecia meant and that women could lose hair before menopause (I always thought it was "natural aging" like 70s+) and only knew that male patterned baldness existed because I see that. Whenever I heard of women losing their hair it's always acute like TE style but not drastic or because of extension damage...if only this was the case.

No other woman in my family has this let alone at an early age! My mother is turning 58 in 2 months and looks like she's 40 years old with nice silky hair and my dad just turned 53 few days ago and has a whole head of THICK hair and also gets mistaken for 40 if he died his hair black he would look late 30s. And guess what...he smokes 1-2 packs a day since he was 15 years old!!! Grandfathers lost their hair (70s/80s) and Grandmother's hair is thinning (73). So hair loss in my family only came at old age, no cousins, no uncles or aunts with hair loss. Freaking ridiculous to be dealing with this at such a young age. I can't wear a topper I really want my natural hair back, it used to be my pride and joy and the only thing I liked about me. It just HAS to grow back because things can't always be this ****ty. I don't see problems like this happening to people who tend to already have everything in life. I actually know this family where dad is completely bald (probably 40s) and the son is 22 and has lost so much of his hair but the daughter has no hair loss at all - she's absolutely beautiful, looks like a model and their whole family has really beautiful blue-grey eyes. It doesn't make sense to have aggressive hair loss without parents or grandparents who have that at a young age as well. I'm thinking my hair loss is more hormonal than anything so I'm hoping it stops and I get good regrowth with a decent diet.

10. Sakura

Dislikes Received:
    same here, i was really stressed so i buyed. i often blame myself because i think i did cause it because i stress to much and that awoke the Androgenetic Alopecia mutant genes in me ¬¬
    i thought that too, really, i'm the first young woman i've seen with hair loss. i feel like an old lady, sometimes i'm jealous of old ladies with great hair
    omg =( i'm on the same boat, my mom only thinned a bit after menopause, but she had tree daughters and not a single hair was shed... and i lose my hair because some stress at 24? what the hell? xD my dad has a full head of hair at 72. grandparents died with awesome hair
    my hair was also my pride and joy, everyone commented on it, i feel like life is screaming "screw youuu" at me with this LOL xD i hope you can find a way to get your hair back though being healthier. my hair loss is not hormonal ( several tests have proven that) so i guess it's just bad luck
    i also think everyone 's happier than me now, my female friends will never worry about losing hair, even having bald dads. i just don't understand, why me??
    i hope it makes you feel better to know there's someone out there like you, and we even are the same age ( i'm 24)

11. verylonelygirl

Dislikes Received:
    I am not 24 but this post was so realistic that I had to reply. My hair never used to shed and I mean it. I would keep it open always and it gave me confidence.I had fine hair but a lot of it though it was very thin during my puberty around 13-14 years. As soon as I hit 17 it poured off my head. And though it reduced considerably but never stopped. Now I am 18 and half and I have started anathor bout of te.my mom has nice hair at 41 n dad has thinning at vertex but Hez 56. There's no female with hairloss in my family. Then why me so young!??? I have seen my hair through microscope n non of them were too thin. I have thin spots n very less volume but it's obvious I have been shedding for more than a year now with only 5 months of break. N recently more short hairs. Is this some kinda joke? I am healthy but nowadays I remain tired all the time. I sleep for hours n hours as I have my holidays now n absolutely inactive but I lost weight. I refuse to believe it's Androgenetic Alopecia. How can one fine morning my Androgenetic Alopecia gene get active and kill my hairs and lead them to fall off in huge clumps!!!! Its trying to regrow I know but there's something wrong. I can't belive it's Androgenetic Alopecia. Not this soon.

12. Sakura

Dislikes Received:
    girls i'm writing this and i'm crying, i know i have to be strong and that this is not the worst thing that can happen to someone, but it it the worst thin that has happened to me by far, i've never feel so sad and insecure before.
    verylonelygirl, i can't imagine how i had felt if this happened to me at 17, if i'm a mess at 24... i just can't imagine, surely i'd just ditched school or something like that. i'm glad that you are being strong. by everything that you say, i really don't think you have Androgenetic Alopecia, i think you have chronic TE and you haven't found what is causing it.
    i saw your pics when you told me the other day, and update on your status would he helpful
    i would try to upload pics later, but i'm a bit too embarrased to do it, i feel ugly =(

13. mvgirl

mvgirl Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have Androgenetic Alopecia too, I'm 35. First really noticed it at 28-29. Classic frontal and crown loss and thinning all over. :(( by now it's so thin all over the hairs don't even feel like real head hair. I'm down about it most days. No one in my family had it like this. My dad had some loss but no female lost hair.

I would love to connect with you guys on facebook or email or orherwise to talk. I feel I cannot talk w anyone about this. People whist brush it off saying oh you're hair looks fine. Well it doesn't.
    I don't wear hair yet but I will probably have to at some point. I use toppik every day though.

14. Sakura

Dislikes Received:
    mvgirl, is not noticeable yet? for me it wasn't gradual at all. my september, october pics... my hair looks great, super full and super thick. and then it started falling in november and by december i had lost 40%, by february 60% =( i have regrowth but its nothing like it was... and i'm still sheding truncated hairs. this is horrible, i'm ready to wear hair, i don't want anyone to comment on my hairloss, that'd be so depressing

15. mvgirl

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it's noticeable at least w my eyes. I think others tend to brush or play it off to make you feel better. I hate that.

16. Sakura

Dislikes Received:
    i hate it too, honestly i prefer the truth. i'm searching for toppers online, i won't let this take over my life D: i'll live, even if my hair is fake XD nobody has to know right? lol

17. mvgirl

Dislikes Received:
    The way I look at it is that others have other disorders, fibromyalgia, diabetes etc. I have a 'hair disorder' . I have learned to not value myself based on my hair and it's condition. And if others do that they are not my friends and I have nothing to do with them.

18. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah mvgirl I try to look at it like that at times but like this is not my only battle in life. I'm already dealing with stress from being poor and career problems and other appearance issues atm (like acne, facial hair and weight gain) and I don't even have friends anymore, just the support from my family and here. I don't need another "character building" challenge. This is just kicking someone when they're down and adding insult to injury. Other people are so happy with their lives going with ease. The last thing I need is something else to have to fix. This better resolve by summer's end, I don't need to have another year of my life ruined after spending most of last year living pretty miserably.

19. miafemme

miafemme New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I concur..

Hey there kate, i'm in the same boat.

I have had CTE for 8 years and most of the hairs that I shed now are the truncated, weak ones ranging between 2 - 8 inches long.

about 30-40% of my daily shed is long cut hairs, and the rest are the baby hairs.

It pisses me off. because I want them to just grow long. But yeah my hair cycle is totally messed up from such a drawn out period of shedding..

20. verylonelygirl

Dislikes Received:
    Miafemme does Ur scalp show or it's only the shedding? How do u know for sure it's cte without biopsy. The worst part of all this was when my Bf of 2 years left me for my hairloss.