Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Trying to make sense of it...again!

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by Bron, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Bron

Bron Guest

I'm still not diagnosed and keep reading conflicting stories and am just confusing myself more, so I thought I'd try and piece my hair loss saga together a bit and see what you girls think!

I only noticed my scalp peering out beneath my hair around mid-December, never before then. Since then it's gotten pretty dramatically, progressively thinner! I don't seem to have any problems around my temples, but instead at frontal area and basically all up top. I've never noticed any MAJOR shedding (I guess a few in the shower is normal...maybe not a few on my pillow?).

I went to my doctor in March or so who did blood tests but everything came back perfectly normal despite the hope that my vegetarian diet was leaving me lacking in something. She said there was a possibility of PCOS, though the only symptom I show of this is hair loss and she said my hormone levels came back ok!? I am overweight, but weirdly this started after I lost 42 pounds (in the space of about a year, nothing too sudden!). Basically she said to keep up whatever I was doing (effing starving!) and start to exercise (finding that hard!) and get back to her if there was no improvement.

Since then I've probably lost another 7 pounds or so. I blame taking 2 holidays and eating until I burst to blame on my slow progression! Recently I have noticed that it doesn't seem to be getting any worse, and I think I have some regrowth at the very front (very small amount!). Depending on the day and my mood I can feel positive and optimistic, but other days just hopeless! It didn't help matters that one morning over last weekend I found about 6 short hairs and 1 long hair on my pillow, a sight I hadn't seen for months!

I'm hoping against hope that a multitude of worries made my hair loss happen around Christmas time (boyfriend troubles, car troubles, work stress, a lot of dental work and a falling accident that left me looking like the elephant man with 5 stitches) and that it will grow back and my Mother (who's always right) said I could rule out anything genetic...I only hope it's not just wishful thinking on her part for the 1st time but I'd like to know what you girls with experience think!

Taking the following supplements (cross posted from A Positive Outlook!):
    At the moment I'm taking a daily multi-vitamin with iron, cod liver oil capsule, evening primrose oil + starflower oil capsule, 3 Spirulina tablets twice daily and 1 Nourkrin (same thing as Viviscal) tablet twice daily. I also have the Nourkrin shampoo, conditioner and scalp lotion but haven't been too meticulous with those as my hair feels a bit greasy afterwards. Just washing every second day with a baby shampoo. Also haven't used a hair dryer in months...can't quite resist the irons though, but I figure that's going nowhere near the root anyway!

Thanks, girls. Sorry about how lengthly this is, thought more info might help! :)

2. aries

aries Guest

frontal, mostly the top and gradual thinning leads me to believe Androgenetic Alopecia. You can get this nasty gene from either parent. What you describe sounds like my head. I have had Androgenetic Alopecia for ten years. I never really had handfuls or fist fulls of hair fall. I do have hair on my pillow. The short hairs, do you have bangs or layers?

3. Bron

Bron Guest

There is no hair loss on either side of my family, as far back as my great-grandparents that we know of, so I'm finding Androgenetic Alopecia a bit hard to believe!
    I have layers, but not that short. These were maybe 1-2 inches long.

4. aries

aries Guest

could you post a picture? I think I would get a second opinion too. I have seen both the endo and derm. All of my blood work came back perfect too.

5. Bron

Bron Guest

I can try! My hair's pretty flat after being under a scarf all day...oh MAN does it look bad in these pics!!! :freaked:

(PS: under natural light of a skylight window right over my head)

Attached Files:

6. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

So you are saying that this happened only since December? That is too fast for Androgenetic Alopecia I think...
    For your hair to go from "normal" to thin like that seems fast to me.....

7. Bron

Bron Guest

Yep, never crossed my mind that my hair was thinning until then. I'm guessing around mid December as I know I got my hair done on the 2nd and it certainly wasn't on my mind then, but sometime between then and New Year is when I noticed it.

8. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

well that is way too fast for Androgenetic Alopecia....

And you arent shedding?

well, points to Androgenetic Alopecia then... hmmmm...

Tell us more...

9. sadie_2008

sadie_2008 Guest

Can stress speed up Androgenetic Alopecia though ladies? Mine got worse in early 2007 after a major operation, 2 job changes, major interviews and major family concerns.

I'm just wondering if the whole "stress induced Androgenetic Alopecia" theory exists. My hair rapidly thinned within 6 months, and continues :dunno:

10. sadie_2008

sadie_2008 Guest

PS it was around the 5/6 months point that i got over the "low iron = hair loss" theory, and went to see Dr Fenton who agreed with me!

11. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

From going to not noticeing your hair thinning to in 6 months noticing a huge difference, that is too fast!!!

But Sadie, you have noticed your thinning since you were in your late 20's..yours may have gotten worse within the last 6 months but Androgenetic Alopecia can go in cycles. Like I said, you had noticed yours since your 20's, like me....bron has just noticed it in 6 months and NEVER before...

12. sadie_2008

sadie_2008 Guest

yeah, sorry, didnt catch on to that bit....mine started thinning at age 26 back in 03. God am gonna be 31 soon, single and with menopausal hair loss. Oh lordy. I've already had a good cry this evening. Best go and speak to someone, otherwise im gonna go mental researching hair loss every waking moment of my life. I was doing it at work today too. Surprised i aint sacked!

13. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

I am turning 32 on the 10th...I can relate to you...

We will find SOMETHING eventually that will help us!!!!!

HUGS

14. Bron

Bron Guest

I haven't noticed any major shedding, but maybe that's just it...not noticing..is it possible?? I do remember once on a rare time when I'd wash my hair over a bath so I could see it, and seeing quite a few hairs come out and also a few on my pillow most mornings. Last time I washed my hair like this did was a few weeks ago and saw none, which I was hoping was down to the Nourkrin. I also, like I've said, haven't noticed any on my pillow the past while except for last weekend. Actually, I just remembered washing my hair in the shower a couple of weeks ago and getting a fright to see quite a bit of hair come out in my hand. Could be my mind playing tricks. Maybe if that had happened this time last year I'd have thought nothing of it.

:lost:

15. aries

aries Guest

I'm sorry but I'm sticking with Androgenetic Alopecia. Your head looks like mine. :(

16. michelesmith

michelesmith Guest

actually its not, my Androgenetic Alopecia came out two months after a major shed from going off bcp, the big weight loss may have triggered hers, its a definite Androgenetic Alopecia pattern mines pretty much the same on top and sides............sigh......

17. sadie_2008

sadie_2008 Guest

Michelle - ive read the shed coming off from a BCP is more TE than Androgenetic Alopecia? Has your hair never recovered from coming off the pill?

18. Nikoletta

Nikoletta Guest

Ok Bron there is no way this is Androgenetic Alopecia if you say your family up to great grandparents dont have hair loss!!
    However it looks and sounds like Androgenetic Alopecia :dunno:
    The reason i say is because it's concentrated just on top, and you said your not shedding??
    How are you not shedding if it only began in Dec? You should have seen shedding to lose that much so short..
    And your hormones are fine?
    Have you checked thyroid?

Androgenetic Alopecia is polygenic you need more than one gene and you dont even have one family member balding??
    I think it is not Androgenetic Alopecia...

19. aries

aries Guest

Do you mean to tell me that not one relative had hair loss. Not an Uncle, Aunt, Mom, Dad, Grandmom, Granddad, Great-
    Aunt, etc... Women can sometimes disguise really well. By the way, my Dad has great hair and my Mom's was pretty nice also.

20. Nikoletta

Nikoletta Guest

Aries then who has hair loss in your family...