Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Undiagnosed

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by Barb711, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Barb711

Barb711 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I finally made it to the doctor (Family Practice), and she said all of these tests had been run and nothing seemed bad enough to be causing my hair loss.
    TSH
    T4
    T3
    rT3
    ferritin
    testosterone - free/total
    DHEA-S
    androstenedione
    vitamin D
    She kept mentioning that I should try minoxidil. She believed it would benefit me. I told her I was afraid to use it because I had read stories that if you quit using it, you would lose the hair you grew from it PLUS some of the hair you had BEFORE you started using it. She looked on her computer and said that it wasn't listed on side effects (or something to that effect). She mentioned I might lose a bit more hair BEFORE the new hair started growing. I told her that I couldn't try it then, because I couldn't afford to lose anymore on top, even if it would grow back. She told me to think about it.
    I told her I probably couldn't afford it anyway....but she said that Medicaid might cover it.
    What do you guys think? Has anyone had any bad experiences with minoxidil?
    And just so you know, I'm quite distrustful of the docs at Family Practice. A few days later, I had to go back to FP because I had pressure and pain in my ears and I had a bad sore throat. The doctor I saw was different than the one before. This doctor checked my ears and throat and said nothing was wrong with me and wouldn't be giving me anything. She needs to go back to school.
    I left there and went straight to the ER. The doctor at the ER said my ears were bulging from sinus pressure and had drainage causing pain, and that the back of my throat was raw (reason for sore throat). She diagnosed me with having sinusitis and prescribed:
    Zpack (Zythromycin)
    Prednisone
    Flonase

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I would be surprised if Medicaid covered Rogaine since it is a cosmetic solution and available OTC, generic is pretty reasonable. From everything I've read, it's a commitment - you do have to continue usage.

3. DisTressing

DisTressing Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    In my experience with Medicaid, I would say minoxidil is not covered. It is an OTC medication not used for a primary health issue. But you can always call your plan provider and ask anyway. It is hard enough for a reasonably skilled dermatologist to distinguish between some types of hair loss, like androgenetic alopecia and telogen effluvium, with just blood tests and sometimes even with a bunch of other tests. Would you be comfortable posting your test results here for other members to comment on? Also, can you give some background on how your hair loss happened? Is that in another thread someplace?

4. Barb711

Barb711 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I would be more than happy to post my test results, but I don't have them. They are on record at the Family Practice. I don't know if they would print out the results for me.
    I do have this posted in the section, Tell Your Story. It is where I first posted when I joined. But then looking through the different subject titles last night, I read the title, Undiagnosed. I thought I was suppose to post here to since I am undiagnosed for sure. If I should only be posting in one, please let me know which one. I only want to do what is right. :)

5. DisTressing

Dislikes Received:
    You did post in the right place, but I didn't see it until after I found this post :) !! If you call and ask for a copy of your tests, they ought to mail those out to you. We have some experts floating around here who can look at your numbers and give you good insight. You can post in both places, there is no wrong thing here! big hug to you..hang in there!

6. Barb711

Barb711 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oh my gosh, I could hug & kiss you! Do you know, for the first time since going through all this, I feel someone TRULY CARES what is happening to me! Whether or not anything can be done, the fact that someone seems GENUINELY INTERESTED gives me a feeling of hope! I don't feel lost and alone anymore. THANK YOU!
    Monday morning, I will call and ask for a copy of my tests.
    Again, THANK YOU!

7. DisTressing

Dislikes Received:
    We all care!!!! You are never going to be alone here. There isn't one person here who doesn't know the misery of losing their hair. xoxo!

8. Barb711

Barb711 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    My apologies AGAIN for disappearing for so long!
    I lost my beloved 15yr old cat, Baby, 2 weeks before Thanksgiving. Then the day before Thanksgiving, I lost my beloved 17yr old dog, Peaches. I was totally heartbroken. Then on top of that I got sick with a bad sinus infection and bronchitis. I had to take 2 doses of antibiotics in 20 days. I spent a week & half in bed (so weak). I am just now regaining my strength to get around. My cough is almost completely gone. The past few days I thought I was doing pretty good (regarding my heartbreak); however, it seems I am still very hurt over losing my pets. Cried all last night and didn't get to sleep until nearly 5am. I've been focusing on nothing but things that would make me laugh, but seems it wasn't enough. And then tonight, I am already dropping tears off and on; but I'm not going to let crying keep me up again tonight. I'll take a Xanax. It'll knock me out for sure!
    Anyways, tomorrow I will call Family Practice and request a copy of these tests that have been taken:
    TSH
    T4
    T3
    rT3
    ferritin
    DHEA-S
    androstenedione
    vitamin D
    I will post the results as soon as I get them. Now I'm just hoping I don't have any trouble getting them to mail me the results. I can raise a stink if need be. I just dread the anticipation of what may happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy Crap! Yesterday I called to get test results mailed to me. Nurse checked my records and said she didn't see any tests being done this year. Then she said I had a TSH done in 2003. I just saw a doctor in late Oct. and she saw "something" on the computer, claiming it was those particular test results, and that the levels looked normal.
    Well, I made another appointment to see that lady doctor. It is on Jan. 7th 3pm, and I am going to request a NEW test of each:
    TSH
    T4
    T3
    rT3
    ferritin
    DHEA-S
    androstenedione
    vitamin D
    Is there anything else you feel I should ask to be tested for? I am going in with "demand" to be tested and I want to be sure and have everything listed.

See how things work in my life???

9. DivyaJ

DivyaJ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Barb711,

That was pretty much what happened with me, all tests were normal, dismissive doctors, doctors who don't walk the talk (prescribing me solutions for hair growth while sporting a shiny, bald pate themselves)...

Finally, I got a scalp biopsy done and was diagnosed with Androgenic Alopecia.

What your doctor said about Minoxidil is true, and also, it can cause facial hair growth. I still use it though, and am currently trying to wean myself off it...trying to get into home and herbal remedies, that probably have the same effects (although slower) but with no side effects.

You mentioning Prednisone piqued my interest. My dermatologist prescribed that to me as an immuno-suppressant since he diagnosed my hair loss as an autoimmune disorder. But I stopped it after a month, since I fell ill more often than I normally would and later on read about Prednisone's side effects. It's funny how prednisone seems to have been mentioned here for a seemingly unrelated ailment although in a very relevant post. :)

Please find a doctor who is sympathetic to your concerns, only then would you be able to get any real answers. In my 18 years of trying different clinics and doctors, I found two who were really understanding and sympathetic, of these I should rule one out coz' she was specializing in cosmetic dermatology and hair was on of her focus areas and she was probably trying to make me wallow in self-pity so she could sell me her products and services ;)

Be wary. All the best.

10. DisTressing

Dislikes Received:
    Barb711, I'm very sorry to hear about the aggravation you experienced in trying to obtain your test results! That is the same sort of nonsense that I always run into, too. This is the list I am using for required testing -

DHEAS, Testosterone, Androstenedione, Prolactin, Follicle Stimulating and Leutinizing Hormone
    » Serum Iron, Serum Ferritin, TIBC (Total Iron Binding capacity)
    » Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH)
    » VDRL
    » Complete Blood Count (CBC)

I am also so sorry to hear about the loss of your precious companions. I know not seeing their cute furry faces every day is another major devastation. Extra hugs to you :)