Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Up close hair loss pics**

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by Blue Bird, May 18, 2009.

1. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

I am posting in here so I dont get any cmplaints, even though I do not feel I am mild, and I KNow I am not newly thinning, geezus...

So, here's not hiding my hair loss, pics.
    Notice in the last pic all the frizzy hairs all over

2. jande1

jande1 Guest

I notice in the one with your center part and I do see the overall thinning based on some of the other pix that you have posted.

I know it is hard and I see in a lot of your posts that you are crying out for help and I would like to send a big hug your way.

Take care and I hope you find some answers soon.

3. hopelina

hopelina Guest

BlueBird,
    I see what you mean...
    My hair loss looks similar to yours on the top but I have diffuse thinning so the hair on the sides and on the back is thin too ...
    I too manage to cover it with a side part...but my top looks really flat no matter what I do..
    It sucks ...
    I also think that "normal" people would not see the hairloss....they don't ´see it in my case and nobody would for sure see it in your case (as your overall thickness is still good)...

4. kimm

kimm Guest

Hey there -

I do see what you're saying.

I still think that although this isn't mild for you (mine isn't for me either!)

That you still qualify as mild.

I see what you're saying since you're pointing it out, but I honestly wouldn't pick you out as someone on the street who has hair loss.

I say this not to invalidate the pics you posted, but as to hopefully keep encouraging you, that even though you see the loss and know how bad it is for you, that the average person would not see it and still think you have pretty hair.

Hang in there. Hopefully this most recent shed is temporary and making room for stronger hair.

I'd also maybe consider looking into the thyroid thing again. You've tackled the hormone front. Maybe this is part of the puzzle? I know that thyroid issues can change your hair texture.

I've also noticed my texture getting worse during a shed (lately) and then getting better during more hormonally happy times.

I have a pic from a party we had for my 4 year old over the weekend that I was thinking about posting, but it makes me sad and I really don't want validation at the moment!!!

Hang in there. ((hugs))

5. GoodYear

GoodYear Guest

i see a lot of shorter hair along your long hairs. good!
    i think your hair still looks good. And no, I am no way judging you about whether you are really thinning or not. I believe you!
    I just want to cheer you up;-). You look good girl!

6. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

the frizzies are new growth.

7. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

Thanks ladies,

I always expect you all to say it's worse than you do. That is a good thing. The pic of the wide part has a flash on it, maybe its not as bad as it looks? :woot:

But anyway, the last pics I had posted were of me at the bar and the hair loss was hidden. I thought I post some that show it.

I noticed that I posted some pics last year of my side part and it was a lot tighter. I had gotten highlights...I will add it here...(see pic)
    So its proof to me that my hair is getting worse, not better. Also I have gained weight and my skin, nails, etc have gotten really bad. Maybe it is my thyroid?? But knowign my luck I would take the thyroid meds and they wouldnt help. (My thyroid isnormal, I just haver very high antibodies)

Thanks again

Attached Files:

8. brokendreams

brokendreams Guest

BB Having high anti-bodies is a problem, your tsh would and could show as a normal level. It may be something to do some research on.
    :dunno:

9. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

I spent a LONG while searching for a doctor that would treat my "thyroid".

The top endo in my county told me she does not treat antibodies. (she did a few blood panels and each time my thyroid levels were within range, despite the antibodies. Seeing this, she said she does not treat antibodies)

I guess I can keep trying other Dr's till I find one that will, but I have heard many ladies that still thin after they get put on thyroid meds...

So I am afraid of how long it will take to find someone to treat me, also all the $$ (and I just bought a home) on more lab work and office visits, and that it will not help my hair/skin/dark circles, blah blah.

10. brokendreams

brokendreams Guest

Oh I sure understand your concerns, sometimes you straighten out the thyroid and hair still doesnt respond well. It takes a long time for most people to get their numbers right.

Im lowering my meds every 6 weeks and get off of them and possible start over. The drs are a problem and some special tests he wants I would have to pay out of pocket and cant right now. :shakehead:

11. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

i was on some thyroid website or a site for endocrinologists. There were 2-3 in the LA/IE area that had amazing reviews from patients. I think the one I really wanted to try was a woman in Pasadena... or Pomona. You should start searching for endos with rave reviews. I was gonna pay cash to see one of the docs i found, but I ended up giving up.

12. Peaches

Peaches Guest

Dear Bluebird:

In the first pics I can see how you are detecting thinning. I remember when my hair looked like that. (About ten years ago). I know sometimes that this stage is the hardest and that you are grieving. I completely validate your feelings and what you are going through. I told people for years that my hair was thinning and no one believed me until they could see through my hair. In a way the beginning it was worse, at least now my family and friends acknowledge that I have a problem.

That said, you still look like you are in the "mild" category....and your hair looks absolutely awesome with the side part. I mean it...it looks like a full mane of hair!

13. GypsyKate

GypsyKate Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Hon,

Wow. You and I are really in the same boat. I don't have pics yet. But, you would see that my before and afters are so similar. I dream of feeling that beautiful hair I had before. Yes, I have hair on my head. No, people don't look at me and think, "BALD!" But, it is so hard to adjust when things keep going downhill.

And, I am one of those people who started thyroid meds and the hair thing didn't get better. Same thing with estrogen, iron, Spironolactone and all the supplements. For months now. I am not trying to be a kill-joy, because my medical issues are pretty unique. Just because it didn't work for me (yet - fingers still crossed) doesn't mean it won't work for anyone else. I really encourage you to keep seeking a doctor to treat your thyroid, as I am pretty convinced that could be a problem for you. I know of a great one in LA, so PM me if you want his name.

Aside from all that, hang in there, please. Try to live your life and be happy now (while you still have hair) and commit yourself to always doing that, hair or no hair. I am trying. It is hard and some days I fail miserably. But, I still have amazing days. Hugs, hugs, hugs.

K

14. beachlover24

beachlover24 Guest

Your hair really looks pretty good. I don't think anyone would ever notice unless they had some hair loss. I totally understand how you feel though. No one would even believe that my hair was thinning until the dermatologist agreed with me. It's hard when all my friends (well the one's I have told) tell me my hair looks good, and they don't see what I am talking about. Also, it is hard that I have no clue what is causing it at this point.

But...try to look on the Brightside. We might as well get as much use out of our hair at this point ( even if we have to side part it). My hair has gotten more difficult to manage, but people still tell me it looks good. So I know it cannot be bad at all. In addition, I see other girls and women with hair that looks so similar all the time. I wonder if they are suffering as well, or am I just crazy. I cannot believe how common hair loss must be in women and girls of all ages. It really freaks me out.

Keep your head up, and try to enjoy life! But, I totally do understand!

15. kaylee

kaylee Guest

omg I have those same crispy firzzies all over my head :( What is up with this!?!? :(

16. sadie_2008

sadie_2008 Guest

Hi BB,

I empathise as your loss is overall thinning. I too have that and also the high antibodies, but likewise, i cant get treatment for that alone in the UK.

Hmmm, i wonder, given our hair loss is thin all over, whether it is our elevated thyroid antibodies causing this. I thought the US was better at treating such things. Check the "stop the thyroid madness" website. I understand it is a US based website and there will probably be loads of US docs willing to treat your antibodies. When i posted my thyroid results on there, they were shocked i wasnt on treatment, so it seems you have better options.

17. brokendreams

brokendreams Guest

I agree Sadie high anti-bodies untreated can lead to other thyroid issues or straight to hypo thyroid. It usually will cause a hike insheds and overall thinning.

There is a good site realthyroidhelp Im not sure if it is world-wide or not.

18. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

Yes, I have been on that site many times..I just have not found a doctor that will treat me and I gave up, ya know? Just like I gave up on trying new meds, herbs, etc.

Sadie, most my thinning is on the crown, but yes it is all over too. :thumbdown2:

19. sadie_2008

sadie_2008 Guest

Hi Broken dreams - yep i have checked out that website. I've been to 3 seperate docs in England to try and get treatment, including a naturapath type one. My antibodies are over 300 when the range in England is 0-50 but i cant get anyone to listen :crazy:

BB - what have you tried? I just get the impression stateside things get dealt with (maybe cos you guys have private health insurance). What are the range and results of the antibodies you have had?

It's sad that eventually both of us will have a thyroid condition. The antibodies, rather than protecting our thyroids, are attacking them, and it's just a case of when we'll get intervention. It's like driving after the petrol guage tells you you are heading to Empty!

I personally believe thinning on the hair for me is down to my antibodies. I have other symptoms too BB, do you? Such as being tired a lot, having to sleep a lot some days and unable to sleep other days, brain fog and sometimes short term memory is bad!

20. brokendreams

brokendreams Guest

As Ive also said, even getting treated here is not easy the doctors battle each other and never put the whole picture together. I hope hope you can get some relief soon.