Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Up do for wedding - please help

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by rio, Jun 14, 2006.

1. rio

rio Guest

I'm getting married in few weeks on a beach. I need to cover some spots in the front and on the top.
    After reading posts here, I decided to go for dermatch. I still have some concerns.
    Anyone here who is a dermatch user, please please reply. Thanks a bunch for your time and eflowers to all of you.

1. I'm going to have my hair up - would it work

2. My hair color is dark brown - Should I go for Light brown or Medium brown? Dark brown looks like Gray in the color chart...

3. There's chance of rain (it's the monsoon season in Bali), would it become visible and get washed off

4. Is it easy to take off?

5. When should I apply it to get the best results?

6. Any other tips?

Thanks everyone

2. redclaire

redclaire Guest

Rio, I've never used Dermatch... I use Toppik. But, I have to say, I like the Toppik on my hair MUCH better when it's up. Just my .02.

BTW, congrats on the wedding!

3. lilmermaid

lilmermaid Guest

Let me answer since I've been using it for a couple of years now.

1. I'm going to have my hair up - would it work

Very well!

2. My hair color is dark brown - Should I go for Light brown or Medium brown? Dark brown looks like Gray in the color chart...

I'd say the dark brown because roots tend to be darker. Perhaps you can sample both.

3. There's chance of rain (it's the monsoon season in Bali), would it become visible and get washed off

No way! Unless you shampoo that stuff won't come off! I don't wash my hair daily and it still stays on fine.

4. Is it easy to take off?

Very! Just shampoo your hair and it all comes right off.

5. When should I apply it to get the best results?

You can do it on the same day. It looks best if you blow dry your hair after applying. You might want to play around with it before the big day and perfect how you apply it. It's fairly easy though compared to Toppik. Toppik is pretty good for the back, crown etc. Dermmatch is good esp for the hairline. Good Luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

4. TexasTLC223

TexasTLC223 Guest

Congrats on your wedding, Rio!

I also have been using Dermatch for awhile, and Lilmermaid was exactly right about everything. I just wanted to add a little more: If you buy Dematch from the company, they send you two colors for the price of one on your first order. I have brown hair and ordered the med brown and light brown.
    The med is definitely the better choice. If your hair is dark, I would get the med and dark brown just in case; the light would be too light.

When I wash my hair, it looks like mud in my shower, but that really is the worst part! It won't come out in the rain unless you start rubbing your head, and you just happen to have shampoo in your hand. :lol: It will get on your fingernails, though, if you scratch your head.

As for applying it- I wash and condition my hair, put mousse in it, and then apply the Dermatch while it is still damp. I separate my hair into sections so a "stripe" of scalp shows as I go along, kind of like making 10 or 11 parts in my hair. Wet the applicator, rub on the dermatch, and dab it on the "stripe". This is the tricky part where you need to play with it to get it right. If you use too much water, the stuff will be too runny and won't cover well. If you don't use enough water, it'll be too dry, etc. It took me a few times to find the right creamy consistency. After each stripe, I comb that section so it spreads out. Before I dry it, I comb it through as well.

Gosh, I hope that makes sense. This stuff was really a godsend for me, so hopefully it will be as great for you.

Good luck!

5. rio

rio Guest

Thanks everyone. Just ordered it. I will try it out before the big day to see how it goes.

BTW, you guys rock! I don't how I would have coped without your support and advice.

Mad love to all.
    xo

6. Sissy

Sissy Guest

Rio,

How big are the spots in the front? If they are bigger than the size of a silver dollar than I would suggest purchasing some hair clip ins. Claire posted a site http://www.lookoflove.com they have pieces that are just for the top of your head, to give you volume. You clip them on and then pull your own hair through. This makes the piece very light. They have synthetics and HH pieces as well.
    All different sizes and colors. The pieces are called Hair-B-Tweenz (Thanks Claire)

I love this site.....oh, sorry to sound like an infomercial. :lol:

Good luck, keep us posted on what you decide on and congrats...
    Post some pics if you can.
    Sissy

7. rio

rio Guest

Thanks Sissy. Spots in the front is not that big. So I think I will be able to cover with dermatch. But there's a huge spot on the crown. I bought this piece http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vfsh00170jj.jpg
    Hopefully it'll all workout.
    The thing is that I never ever put my hair up and I honestly think that it doesn't suite me but I will feel more secure if I have my hair tied to the back. I'm concerned if I wear a wig (or topper with short hair style) it will look weird (or even come off) with the strong wind.

8. rio

rio Guest

It's kind of a butterfly clip.

9. redclaire

redclaire Guest

Rio, I know what you mean. I like the way my hair looks in the back when it's up, but I'm not always happy with the front or the sides ( I think I have a very thick neck). I like that piece though. I am not fond of how they have the bangs straight and the back curly, but that is just a ME thing and no reflection on how pretty it actually is.

Sissy, I SOOOO want to order a couple of Hair-Betweenz. But, alas, I need to save up the cash-ola to do it. LOL! It always reads as if I'm destitute. Hubby has a great job, but with just him working it doesn't leave a lot extra for hair pieces!

10. rio

rio Guest

11. redclaire

redclaire Guest

Well, if you pull your hair through it, and maybe try adding a few of Kimby's micro links to it... and you said you're going to wear your hair up? You can anchor it and your hair together in a pretty updo with some pretty hair clips and no one would be the wiser. I'd put a few more micro links into the piece to make sure it really stays. Then I'd pull as much of my own hair through as it would allow, I'd start by pulling my own hair into the updo so that it's sort of wrapped with the piece, anchoring it to your head a bit more, then I'd slowly add the pieces hair into the mix. Does that make sense ( when I do updos I do curly, chunky sort of things, not really the sleak Jennifer Anniston look).
    When I had all my hair < add "memories" from CATS, here > and I would do updos I had to clip the holy heck outta it ( it was sooo long and HEAVY) and I would use a bazillion of those mini jaw clips in a tortoise shell color... you can hide them really well and they hold on for dear life.

12. rio

rio Guest

Thanks Claire. I have two days to decide. Wedding is in 2 weeks time. I hope all these hair pieces come with good instructions. I'm useless at this kind of things :)

13. redclaire

redclaire Guest

They'll probably have instructions on how to put them in. As far as the look, I'd have someone do it. Then, do the shake test. I mean, wiggle yourself good to make sure it's not budging.

14. rio

rio Guest

Saga continues..still looking for a integration system for a possible updo....

15. I bought the 4" human hair Hair-B-Tweenz last year. It didn't work for the length of my hair and my hairstyle. So, I took it apart and reconfigured it.

I've worn it a couple times. I think it's nice quality hair and it did come with directions. I sent a sample of my hair and the Look of Love salesperson matched my hair color pretty well. The Hair-B-Tweenz has little clip combs on the sides that hold securely and are covered by the hair. I think it would work for an updo for top fullness, but it's not configured for frontal thiness. The cords the hair is attached to are a little stretchy. I think the product would be easier to work with if they were more stretchy.

As for Dermmatch, I have light blonde hair and I use the light brown. I think it looks better if you go darker than your haircolor with it. My hair is so light the blonde Dermatch was almost like putting white baby powder on my scalp, and didn't hide anything.

With normal thickness hair, the scalp is naturally in shadow and doesn't reflect light. that's the type of illusion Dermmatch provides.

16. redclaire

redclaire Guest

Rapunzel... with a heavily layered style, do you think the Betweenz would work?

17. rio

rio Guest

18. rio

rio Guest

19. Clair, I think it would only work with short hair that is cut fuller on top, just like the woman shown using it on Look of Love's website.

Rio, I clicked on the link, but only got the home page.

20. rio

rio Guest