Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Update - Androgenetic Alopecia? CTE?

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by hairlossat22, Sep 8, 2015.

1. hairlossat22

hairlossat22 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all,

I posted on here a lot last fall/winter when I first became paranoid with my hair. I suffered from one spot of Alopecia Areata that grew in size but was so stressed out I could tell I was losing more hair than normal I thought it was Androgenetic Alopecia/TE. I got a biopsy in December and it came back negative for Androgenetic Alopecia but in the spring my hair loss was just more than usual (I never noticed much hair fall in general as a woman) and I began worrying myself sick that my middle part was getting bigger and my hair was becoming see through and I wanted to get everyone's opinion.. It's been over a year since I first found my Alopecia Areata spot (its now growing back, yay!) but my hair loss still continues. It never came out in clumps, just like a few strands whenever I would run my fingers through my hair which I never noticed before. My scalp biopsy revealed no Androgenetic Alopecia but a little bit of TE. I don't think my hair has changed much since fall/winter but I feel like my overall hair has lost its thickness and volume since I graduated from college (Last May). I've noticed my temples and hair line are a little thin, but they always have been a little thinner than normal and I've ALWAYS had baby hairs. I have a lot of baby hairs at my temple now so I just want to know if thats still a good thing or if it looks like gradual thinning, or that it may just be CTE now?
    IMG_3620.jpg IMG_3619.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_3624.jpg IMG_3625.jpg

2. hairlossat22

hairlossat22 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I took some photos of my hair line which concerns me the most. As mentioned, I've always had baby hairs but I feel like this is my hairline receding. However, I was diagnosed with some TE so it may be part of that and I'm wondering if the baby hairs are miniaturized hairs or regrowth. It looks like a lot of regrowth to me but wanted to see if anyone has had a similar pattern..
    unnamed-4.jpg unnamed-3.jpg unnamed-2.jpg unnamed-1.jpg unnamed.jpg

3. NoodleHead

NoodleHead Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    We've got the same concern. I can see a lot of baby hair around my hairline and temples and I feel like it's receding too. I remember having thicker and longer hair in this area so that worries me a bit. I'm on birth control plus an anti-androgen. Still not sure whether it's working yet though. I definitely need to be more patient lol

4. Eliza1990

Eliza1990 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi there! It doesn't look like Androgenetic Alopecia to me. Curious - have you had your ferritin tested? Also, random question, but what's your exercise regimen?

5. hairlossat22

hairlossat22 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Eliza,

Yes I had my ferritin tested about 10 months ago and it was normal. My exercise regimen is vastly different in the past year. From November through July I exercised a total of maybe 5-6 times. Since July I work out 4-5 times a week. Does exercise come into play?

6. Eliza1990

Eliza1990 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Research has shown that sweating from exercise can modestly deplete iron stores (typically cardio exercise). The foot pounding mechanism of running in particular can significantly deplete iron stores. Numerous studies have shown that athletes at the end of their running season have notably lower ferritin. Mine definitely dropped as a result of upping my cardio regimen.

If you have noticed an increase in shedding or an acceleration in your hair loss since July, it couldn't hurt to get it re-tested. What was it 10 months ago?

On a separate note, have you lost weight since your hair loss began? Being underweight can contribute to thinning hair as well.

7. hairlossat22

hairlossat22 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi! Thanks for your answer. I don't do much cardio, more so strength training and yoga. I've always been underweight but there hasnt been a change in weight since I noticed my hair loss. I'm going to a dermatologist again in October (haven't been to one since May) to get some insight. I don't know if its just because I had alopecia and noticed I was shedding more I've noticed my hairline and baby hairs more or if there truly is a pattern in thinning. My hair comes out from all over but my pony tail is just as thick.. I'm just mainly concerned about my hairline. I may have another scalp biopsy to put my mind at ease.

8. ha2015

ha2015 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Me, too. Sort of.

I have a very similar pattern, myself. I sometimes wonder if the "bald" bit in the front might be some traction alopecia from wearing a high bun while I exercise. I think I had/have CTE as a result of two very stressful years. I have had quite a bit of regrowth at the temples in the past few months (though it's almost all come in grey/white), but that bit in the front hasn't "awakened" quite as much. I have a handful of baby hairs there, but not nearly as many as you.

I think my CTE was exacerbated by taking Plan B once during the winter and also by taking Glucosamine with Chondroitin for about a year after hamstring and shoulder injuries. Apparently Chondroitin, which is also in some arthritis medicines, can make hair fall out. I've stopped taking any and all supplements, and have avoided all hormonal contraceptives.

I do exercise a great deal, though have been cutting back in the past few months due to travel and injury. Most of my workouts are in the circus arts, very muscle-building. I sometimes worry that is the culprit: perhaps all that strength-training work temporarily raises my androgen levels and lowers my ferratin levels?

Have you seen any more improvement?