Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Update on SD treatment + Nizoral and Spironolactone Question

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Roxana, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Roxana

Roxana Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi ladies,

It has been a while I was not active on the forum. In the past two months that I started treating my SD, my shedding has decreased slowly.
    I had quite good times with the hair loss and as a result my depression got much better. The good thing is that now I know the anti depressant I am using (Escitalopram) was not the cause of my hair loss.
    Basically my SD cleared up up to almost 70%. but it still fluctuates and the dermatologist told me it is a long way.

In the last two months I have used Nizoral 2% only 2 times per week + some lotions.
    I did not experience extra shed during the shower when using Nizoral. but I read a lot on this forum that many people experience more shed with it and it works same as minoxidil.
    Another thing is I am using Spironolactone 100mg since Nov 2014 (~ 4 months) and it has made my periods somewhat irregular,short and mild.

Now the sad part of story is since Sunday my shed has increased again! I can think of two reasons:
    1. Nizoral: if it works same as minoxidil then I am experiencing the dread shed from Nizoral!
    2. Spironolactone has messed up my hormones thus my hair growth cycle! Having said that, my blood test results came through last week and everything is fine including hormones! I will post it when I get it from my doctor.

May I ask your opinion and thoughts on my increased shed? any experience with Nizoral or Spironolactone and messed up cycles?

Thanks in advance

2. Wolf924

Wolf924 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Have you had your hormones checked? Any extra facial or body hair? Any other weird symptoms?

I am asking because my docs think I have PCOS, and my shed is up and down due to the wacky hormones, and I am not on BC. I also have BAD seb derm, and it calms down then flares up again, taking more hair with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops I just saw you had the hormones checked....sorry about that. It could be the messed up cycles--maybe Spironolactone plus a bc can get that on track. I read that works for many women.

3. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I dont know much about Spriro but would think if you were gonna shed from it it would have happened before 4 months? Taking any vitamins at all? I found the Niz shampoo to be drying. Did you at all? What do you think helped your SD? That is the cause of my LOSS :(

4. Roxana

Roxana Member

Dislikes Received:
    mycurl hair, I am using nizoral (2-3x per week) but it is not too drying for me as my natural hair is quite greasy.
    I am taking iron supplements and vitamin D.
    I realised why I am back on high shed. I visited my deem on Friday and she said the SD is becoming active again.
    She has given me a sort of cream that is for pilling the layers of dandruff. Then the lotion (topicort) and nizoral can reach the scalp.
    Topicort is for treating the symptoms and nizoral for the removing the cause.
    I am very frustrated and hopeless now because of the steps back.
    It was getting better and I had about 2 months of little SD and low shed (40 / day). Now it is back to 80 / day.
    I can send you the name of the lotions I am using.
    How bad is your SD? How are you treating it?

5. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I need to ask my derm on my next appointment for some advice on getting rid of the excess stuck on flakes.
    The nizoral has been helping with the inflammation and red areas, but the stuck on flakes is the issue, and my now dry scalp because my scalp is no longer greasy like it used to be.
    Need to find something else to help with the inflammation, although my diet has been helping, especially cutting way back on sugar. Derm prescribed the strongest kind of topical steroid first, while it did work, it gave me steroid induced superficial folliculitis.
    3 weeks in on 50000 IU's of vitamin d and my shed is finally starting to slow down. I am seeing regrowth, but the wait time for it to grow out and see what it does is killing me.
    I feel like I've lost at least 60% of my hair by now because of this endless shed with no regrowth for the last 3 years.

I just want my hair to grow back so I can finally dye and style it again. :(

6. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    Roxana- Mine is pretty bad but not as bad as it was when I was living in the house with mold. I really think for me it is environmental. I have my worse flares when around chemicals or mold. I can smell them from a mile away! Those shampoos also dry my hair out. I was using Jason w/ sulfur and I liked it alot but stopped this week. Right now I am not using poo and doing honey and herb rinses and feeling good with it. Mine is more stuck on my scalp rather then flakey, is that how yours is?

7. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    Eunmi
    [​IMG]- How are you doing with your scalp??

8. Roxana

Roxana Member

Dislikes Received:
    My flaking fluctuates quite often. My scales where quite sticky and greasy in the beginning and now they are dry due to nizoral. My shed is not down though yet. I loose 60-80 per day. The derm said don't focus on loss but on removing the dandruff.
    I am about to loose my hope on getting this annoying SD treated!

9. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    It's doing a bit better now. It waxes and wanes. Gone for about two weeks and the scaling comes back, but not as bad as before. My scalp is a bit dry from nizoral, but I'd take that over a greasy one any day because it's easier to deal with. My last derm appointment went kind of meh. He said it looked better compared to before, and told me to use my steroid foam only twice a week, instead of daily. I haven't been using it much, only when the bumps get a little itchy. My shed has been way down since I upped my vitamin d to 50000 IU's a week. My hair texture is almost normal again as well. Just waiting patiently to see some more growth. My hair literally feels moth eaten. It's both patchy and diffuse. My sides have been hit hard, and so has my nape. It's so horrible right now. But I've just been taking it in stride for the last month. Yeah, it sucks and hurts that it's going on, but I'm doing all I can to fix it, so it's beyond my own control right now. Just trying to wait things out. Been shedding for three years straight, what more do I have to lose lol

10. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    My sides were also and after a couple of years they have been filling in a bit more. Glad yours in better. Roxana- That shed sounds very normal. They say 50-100. I lose in between that range too. I also lift the scales up and they them off gently because if not not only is it irrarating but it slows the growth. Hairs cant push though thick waxy scale! Fed up with this too... :(

11. Roxana

Roxana Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am back with some update on my SD.
    It has been about 4 months that I have started topical treatment for my SD: cream (to remove the flakes), topicort (steroid lotion), nizoral 2%.
    The results are not that great for 4 months treatment! The flakes are less but the SD is quite active yet. My hair loss is also quite high.
    In my last visit to derm, she suggested to take ITRACONAZOLE 100mg (2x) for a week. This is a quite heavy anti-fungal that works from inside-out. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3221212/)
    I am going to start it soon as I am fed up with this condition. I asked my derm why my SD is so stubborn! She said because it has left untreated for long time. She expects a good improvement in SD after one week?
    Anyone has experience with ITRACONAZOLE? I have read on this forum that it can cause hair loss!

12. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    I havent but have read on it. Most antifungals do cause hair loss and why I havent tried them. :( You could try for a week and see if what she says is correct? I just bought some caprylic acid and will try that soon. I am also so tired of this. It takes over my life!

13. Roxana

Roxana Member

Dislikes Received:
    Good news...my SD is 90% cleared! The last time I visited my derm, she said my SD was still active and recommended to increase Nizoral usage from 2 days to 7 days if it does not irritate my scalp. I did about 4-5 times/week and my SD has reduced quiet a lot. My hair loss is also less than before and in general my hair feels healthier.
    I haven't grown much hair back (due to Androgenetic Alopecia probably) but what I have looks healthier and fuller.
    In meantime the AD I started in December is giving its full effects on me and psychologically I feel much better than few months back.

14. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! So the Niz shampoo cleared it you mean? Your not doing anything else? Or taking anything? It totally dried my hair out!! How long did you use it becfore seeing results and will you continue to use it 4-5 days a week?