Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

update

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Positive Outlook' started by neencali, Sep 4, 2012.

1. neencali

neencali Guest

Just an update for anyone interested. I went to the mountains for the 3 day weekend and it was so wonderful. It is the first time sine my loss/regrowth that I was able to go hatless, and toppik-less without washing my hair for 3 days. I probably looked terrible but I just pulled it into a pony and enjoyed my time with friends and family. I know that my crown is so thin and the white regrowth looks like crap but I was actually able to let it go and it felt great. I even went swimming and I know what my hair looks like wet. My friends didn't say a thing and neither did I. It sucks but I am not going to let it take my joy. It felt so good not to worry about it, even for three days.

2. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    That is so great! Glad to hear you had a nice weekend!! :)

3. baker mom

baker mom Guest

Where's the "like" button? :)

4. nola

nola Guest

Yay neencali!! That is great!

5. neencali

neencali Guest

Current update. Got my hair cut into a bob last week. My stylist (who is a true artist) cut it into an angled bob and low-lighted my old hair and highlighted my dark growth. the result is so pretty. I love it. After a week of having this hair I finally think I have the hang of styling it to add volume. I sent my mom pics today of the front and back of my head. She has not seen me since last November when it was at the worst. She was really impressed and said she looked and looked and could not see where the hair loss had been. :) I am trying to figure how to upload them here to show you all.
    I don't think this is over but I am glad for the reprieve. My shed is down to like 3 in the shower every day and I was filling zip-lock from my shower loss a year ago. I still have very thin spots in some areas and lots of hair ranging from 1/4 inch to 4 inches long but I feel like i am on the road to looking like me again. I have had tons of complements on my new hair from those who know and many who never knew. :)
    This thing is so unpredictable but right now I feel amazing and am so happy. I am tapering off antidepressants too. I thank God for holding me through this time. I pray for you ladies who are still in the thick (or thin) of it. I feel a sisterhood here with you all. Thanks for always being supportive and encouraging. I could not have gotten through this on my own. Blessings to you all.

6. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thats so great to here!! :) Happy for you. What kind of hair loss did you have?

7. neencali

neencali Guest

I had very diffuse Alopecia Areata with Ophasis pattern as a bonus.

8. Arisemysoul

Arisemysoul Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Neencali, I am soooo happy for you!! Congratulations!

9. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    So pleased for you! Ophasis pattern is so hard to regrow. Good news that you are feeling better and weaning of the antidepressants :) Hope you can post some pics

10. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Amazing news Neencali!!! Glad that your loving the cut and colour your hair stylist gave you and receiving many compliments on your new style. The news about how much better you're doing emotionally to the point that you can start tapering off the antidepressants is wonderful. :)

Your message will give many others hope. I can speak about hope and better tomorrows with Alopecia Areata but being able to witness and hear of your successful regrowth and remission at this time is so very positive not just for you but for all you have shared with.

I hope this is it for you and no more Alopecia Areata. It would be great to see the pictures of your new look.

Thanks again for sharing this uplifting message with us.

:grouphug: Joann

11. The Chook

The Chook Member

Dislikes Received:
    Excellent! Its amazing the differnce a good cut can make. So happy for you.

12. neencali

neencali Guest

Thanks ladies. Yes the ophasis is supposed to be hard to regrow but that is the part that grew back the thickest and healthiest. Incidentally the best spots are spots I DID NOT get shots in. So there is hope. Still have some really thin spots on sides and crown but filling in day by day.

I post these updates because during this awful time as during my years of infertility (have 2 kids now) it was the positive stories that got me through. I know for me, they helped me in my darkest hours. I hope my story will help someone even a little bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Current photos

Attached Files:

13. Lost

Lost Guest

neen I'm so happy for you!!! your new cut and color looks beautiful :)

14. neencali

neencali Guest

The crown is the best part because I looked like a monk a year ago. No hair at all on he crown. Now.... hair. It is frizzy but it is hair. :)

15. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    It looks lovely, so pleased you posted the pics :)

16. papercut

papercut Guest

You look beautiful :)

17. neencali

neencali Guest

Thanks ladies. You make a girl feel pretty. This hair loss really can get you down. I now have a new dime size spot. I am not going to panic. I will live.

18. AmyCE

AmyCE Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Your hair looks awesome! And thank you for posting positive news--it really does help us to have some hopeful stories!

Good job not panicking about the new spot, though I'm sorry you have one. I have actually been patting myself on the back this week for my attitude during my latest outbreak. I have three new spots in this go around (after my spots from early this year grew back) and after about 2 days of freaking out, I just got so level-headed about it. Went to the doctor, got my injections, look at the spots for two seconds a day to put my topical steroid on, and I just get on with it. A few weeks ago, I ended up with my first spot that is cosmetically noticeable and I just ordered some concealer online and again, just got on with it! Finally taking each day (and spot) one at a time and it feels good! Think we've finally reached our zen state? :)

19. starshine

starshine Guest

That is so encouraging Neencali. I have the same type of diffuse hairloss with ophiasis. Did you do anything special, or did it just go into remission on its own? I have had DAA for about a year now and although my hair is very thin, I still have some hair and the loss has slowed down. Do you think the antidepressants helped you to cope? I hope some day, I can feel good again too.

20. Lost

Lost Guest

awh neen sorry about your new spot!!!! glad you seem to be in a good place about it...I struggle daily still I just wish it would stop already... (((hugs))) D.