Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Update!

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by mrvitous26, Oct 4, 2015.

1. mrvitous26

mrvitous26 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all,

So for those of you who have been following me, you know that I don't make posts a lot. I know I should more because I have been having a lot of success and I think more of these stories need to be shared. [Some background info: Diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia and Seborrheic Dermatitis
    , used to be on a number of antidepressants, then went off, went on Accutane and was on that for about 4 months... It seems like the hair loss began shortly after Accutane when I was 23/24 or so... My mom has very thin hair, my dad has very thick hair. Currently taking vitamins, biotin, 50 mg of Spiroctalone (I have follow-up appointment on Wednesday with Endocrinologist. I am very active, I give myself head massages, since I believe that my hair loss has a lot to do with stress, I use essential oils, diffuse, light candles, EXERCISE, I pretty much do anything I can to RELAX because yes stress is no good for the hair. When I started doing these things it seemed like the dermatitis got a lot better. I have no signs of it right now but notice that it would flare a little if I was feeling more stressed.] I think in my case there is a lot going on at once so I am trying to be patient and explore one thing at a time. Honestly stress has been the common denominator overall. :ermm:
    :shakehead:
    Anyway so it has been about a year now since I began the Rogaine journey. I have had much success but two months ago started to shed after not having hardly any shed for months... This lasted the last 2 months and was pretty much horrible but luckily this last week it seems to have slowed down substantially. I see a lot of new hair coming through (short hairs) so it makes sense with the shed that I would be losing a lot of the weight/volume but still see the growth on top...

So I am guessing this is normal to periodically go through this? Hopefully not... Initially I thought it was because I went to once a day use but apparently my inconsistency doesn't seem to matter... However, I am going to try to stick with twice a day anyway but maybe do less then the 1 ML at night... (Which I think I have been doing anyway.) I am just happy to have a break from the shed and hope that it is uphill from here...:D

Other Rogaine users? Did you experience a dred shed when you were 9 months into it?

See pictures from today:

HL-01.jpg HL-02.jpg HL-03.jpg

Do I regret going on Rogaine? No... I'm not sure where I would be had I not when on it. It is a choice you have to make, then you stick with it. Period.

Thanks for looking!

-Michelle

2. bc2005

bc2005 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think your hair looks good. I was on rogaine for about 15 months and I experienced a terrible shed but it was early on. I think if you've had success on rogaine that is a great indicator. Rogaine never worked for me and the hair I shed never grew back. ...but I never had regrowth either.

3. Ruth

Ruth Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    your hair looks really good. i am happy that it is working for you!! and good to hear your periodic shed has eased up again.

i have a question though about the use of minoxidil, did/ does your regrowth start out as thinner strands or were they immediately your normal strand thickness. I ask because i noticed yesterday some of my regrowth was a lot thinner than my normal hair (all the thinner hairs were 5 to 6 cm at the most, i have been on rogaine 6 months now) IMG_7446.jpg

4. Eliza1990

Eliza1990 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the update mrvitous. Your hair looks fabulous!!!

I have read so many accounts of women who had a temporary seasonal shed in their first 12 mo on Rogaine. I think the initial dread shed puts a slightly higher % of your hair on the same shed cycle (bc it compressed the shed timeline of the hairs you were going to shed in those first few months anyway). I have never heard of seasonal shedding not reverting to normal for anyone who had success with rogaine for the first six months.

Congrats again on your success- your hair looks thick and awesome :)

5. mrvitous26

Dislikes Received:
    Ruth - Initially the hair came in thin. In the beginning they were very fine like baby hairs. I still have a lot of those but for me it got thicker as time went by. It was at its best in March/April this year. Then the beginning of August the big shed started. And now I see another cycle of hair coming through all which looks new!!! :)

- - - Updated - - -

BC2005 - I'm sorry to hear that you've had no success. What is your current regimen?

- - - Updated - - -

Eliza - That makes sense! like I said for a while I wasn't shedding barely at all which was just as weird as shedding too much...

Is there any point where the hair begins to act normal or is this just how it's going to be?

Thanks all.

6. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Mrvitous- your hair looks amazing!! Are you on 5% Rogaine? Did you experience an initial shed? If you did, how bad was it?

7. Noalani

Noalani Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    It looks really good! Keep on doing whatever you're doing. Thanks for posting update!

8. mrvitous26

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Noalani! :)

- - - Updated - - -

The initial shed was awful, but I saw a lot of hair coming in my month 3/4. Then by month 6-9 was very nice then had another shed the last two months, and now I am about a year in, maybe a little more. Need to look back, I keep forgetting if it was September or October when I started. Yes, I use the 5% Men's Liquid Rogaine.

9. hairlosshelp

hairlosshelp Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    mrvitous26, your hair looks great! I was wondering if there's any specific reason you're using the liquid over the foam?

10. mrvitous26

Dislikes Received:
    Because it is easier to apply to the scalp. I started with the foam and felt like it wasn't sticking on my scalp. It would just absorb in my hair.

11. Nerak

Nerak Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, your hair looks great!

i'm also just coming up to my first year on rogaine so need to post an update soon.

after the initial shed I lost almost no hair to daily shedding for around 10months. Just in the last month I have started to drop a few, still really low numbers though. We are just heading into spring in NZ so think it's probably. Just seasonal. Certainly not too concerned yet.

dont regret going on rogaine for a second. If I have to keep using it to keep my hair, so be it. No different from cleaning your teeth or applying moisturiser once it's part of the routine.

12. mrvitous26

Dislikes Received:
    So true Nerak... It is just part of the routine! I have lost a lot of thickness but I see it growing on top so it will take time to fill in and re-grow... I must have been on it for a little less then a year because I know you started Rogaine before me! Wow you are lucky! This was an all out dred shed... just awful. But I still see it coming in on top which reminds me of the beginning... Five months in I saw all this re-growth but it was falling out like crazy... I sure hope that I don't have to go through this every year because it affects the progress/length... ;/ I would like to be able to grow it to a decent length. I was where I wanted to be last Mayish until the hellish haircut I got 7/1... Who cuts your hair makes all the difference!!! And a nice haircut goes a long way!!!

Thank you for sharing, and keep me posted. :)

13. rachelscott8585

Dislikes Received:
    Hi mrvitous26,

Your hair really does look great! I am crossing my fingers for you to have continued success.

I also started experiencing hairloss after Accutane. How long after you started taking it did you start losing hair? How long have you been losing hair?

I just posted my story on the tell your story page, but I didn't experience hairloss until 8-9 months after I stopped Accutane. I am also losing body hair as well. Did this happen with you?

I have been on Rogaine for a year and a half and while it is helping some of the regrowth, it has not stopped the shedding at all. Therefore, it really can't keep up with the loss so it's looking pretty sparse. However, it seems like everyone reacts differently to Rogaine.

I wish you the best!

14. mrvitous26

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Rachel - I am a little self conscious with how it looks on top. I lost a lot of volume... I hope it fills in again... I am trying to be consistent with 2x a day but it is so hard. By the end of the day I just want to throw my stuff on the ground and pass out... Lol. I am not sure where exactly it started when I was on Accutane but I only took it for 4 months, so I think shortly after/even during is when I started to notice it... I was also on anti-depressants though... I think all of the drugs were too much for my system and I swear this is what caused it... Will I ever know for sure? No, but come on? It sure didn't help... My entire system was out of wack. My diet was poor, I probably wasn't taking any vitamins. And I was prone to Androgenetic Alopecia anyway from my mom's side... So it was bound to happen. I think Rogaine saved my hair. :/ Honestly.

- - - Updated - - -

Because also keep in mind after working all day then going to the gym, by the time I get home and take a shower then dry my hair. It is a long process. :( I could just get back to showering at the gym and taking care of it there but I hate when women stare at me as I am applying the Rogaine. I don't feel like getting into it. I have shared before but I just don't want to anymore...

15. hairlosshelp

hairlosshelp Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    oh :( Maybe if you can package it in something else they won't know (I'm not sure what the bottle looks like). I was actually wondering about the routine while traveling. I wonder if there are people who either went off it for that period or used it every other day and if anything happened. Just last year about a month before shedding I was on vacation for 3 weeks and washed my hair every other day, would only get back to the hotel until quite late on most nights so putting rogaine on would be difficult, though manageable if I sleep with a scarf. I'd probably just try to wash everyday during those periods if I ended up using it.

16. Wolf924

Wolf924 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    mrvitous26:

I think what you mentioned about stress is really crucial. My dad is an OBGYN, and he has shared with me several articles about how chronic stress (which I suffer from via PTSD from a very traumatizing time in my life) can actually increase your DHEAS levels--a pre-cursor to androgens. So I think when you said stress was a common denominator, it really hit home for me.

Also, I understand your frustration on the losing volume. But I thought it was interesting that JeHope, another successful Rogaine responder on this forum, discussed going through these periodic sheds and mentioned that it made no overall difference to her hair. Have you found her posts at all? They might be helpful and insightful for you.

Also, I saw photos of your hair before and I have to say a hearty congrats again--what a difference. I am so glad you have had such success, and in the photos above you look gorgeous.

17. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    mrvitous - can you please, please, please post some before pictures? I would appreciate it soo much!

18. mrvitous26

Dislikes Received:

To answer your other question, no I did not lose body hair. I felt like I was losing more Eye Lashes though...

- - - Updated - - -

I will! I will make a note of this and will try to get to today. You can see them if you look at my earlier posts from last year.

19. mrvitous26

Dislikes Received:

People don't even understand how big stress is. I mean yes, there is usually an underlying factor to consider. (i.e if Androgenetic Alopecia runs in the family chances are you will get it) but stress can really play a big role and can prematurely make hair fall out. Stress does literally make hair fall out. I am such a good example of this. I literally feel my scalp get irritated when I feel more stressed so people can't say that stress isn't a factor to consider when looking at this. Thank you for your comment. Yes I have read JeHope's posts in the past but the only difference is with me I have lost a lot and it has made a difference... the only thing I am unsure of at this point is if it is only a temporary difference which I will be sure to keep you all posted on.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Well people always ask... Am I dying my hair? Blah blah... But yeah in order for me to successfully start using this stuff twice a day again, I need to bring it to the gym with me and just get ready there. Here in WI it is starting to get cold so leaving the gym with sweaty wet hair won't work because it will freeze. I will just have to get back in the routine.