Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Update

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by sheeny, Jan 1, 2017.

1. sheeny

sheeny Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all,
    It has been quite some time since I've been on here & i thought i would give a little update.
    If you search my name you can find my complete story, pics, etc. Long story short, been suffering through hair loss & shedding for about 2 years this time, lost tons of hair & volume. Have been through 3 biopsies, have bloodwork done every 3 months, see a million drs, naturopaths, do acupuncture, western meds, eastern meds, etc & etc.
    I started using rogaine last Jan & although my hair still sheds more than I'd like, in the last month I've noticed quite an improvement. I'm starting to feel like my old self again & it feels great. My hair is still too thin for my taste, but I can wear it down again & can even feel comfortable not using toppik most days. I know this will be something I battle my whole life, but for now it is not consuming my every minute. Victory! I took a pic of my head today & I look like a chia pet. Hair sticking up all over! I can't figure out how to attach a pic using my phone, unfortunately.
    Don't give up hope, ladies! There are better days ahead!!
    Xoxo

Erika and mcat11 like this.
  2. Chasrogers01

Chasrogers01 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you so much for the update! I hope you continue to have success.

3. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Sheeny ! Congratulations first of all. So, do you think it was Rogaine which helped you ?

4. Distraughtshedder

Distraughtshedder Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to see you are seeing results and feeling better about your hair!

Its tough in the very beginning when you don't know what's going on and if anything will help. I live hearing positive updates... I wish there were more on the board.

Here's to a hair healthy 2017!

5. sheeny

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all,
    It has been about 18m since starting rogaine & things are going very well (knock on wood). I think I can get away with wearing my hair down with no toppik these days AND I fill up my ponytail rubber band when I tie my hair up. I still shed, but I think it may be "normal" amounts? Who knows. Last time I had my hair done my hair dresser said that if I didn't say something to her about my hair loss, she wouldn't have thought twice about it. I'm not sure how nice/truthful she was being because there are def thinner spots, but hey, I'll take it! If anyone can teach me how to attach a pic from my iPhone, I'll do it! Otherwise, it's too much of a pain from my laptop :/
    Hope all is well with the rest of you, remember that you are more than the hair on your head& life does get better!

mcat11 likes this.
  6. Bald eagle 1996

Bald eagle 1996 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Dear sheeny I'm so very happy for you. I pray I can say this one day. What kind of hair loss did your biopsies say u have?

7. mellie

mellie Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Sheeny, it's so good to hear from you and i am glad things are going well. I am approaching 12 months on Rogaine and I can also say that my hair improved too although I still use toppik everyday! Did you notice any texture changes though? I feel like my hair is getting dryer with more flyaways.

Also, if I am not mistaken I think you had tried Spironolactone. Do you mind telling me how your experience was? I am considering it but I am a little scared. I'd love to get your opinion.

Hope your hair continues to improve and thanks for coming back and giving us an update!

Millie

8. dvent1111

dvent1111 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sheeny- what is your typical shed these days?

9. sheeny

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, guys!
    Bald eagle- I had 3 of them. I think 2 TE & 1 inconclusive? I don't remember these days However, irregardless of them, my hair loss definitely has a hormonal component based on blood work & history.
    Mellie-
    Hi, no texture changes. When this bout first started there were changes but before rogaine. My hair feels as "normal" as I remember it now. Honestly, I think I thought it changed before but now I'm wondering if I just wasn't styling it the same & that's why it felt weird to me. I did/do use Spironolactone. Started in 7/2015 & went up to 200mg for one year. After too much weight loss, anxiety & other side effects, I decided to wean down since I had no change in shedding. My goal was to come off completely, but I still take 100mg daily. My endo says it's pointless at that dosage but harmless so she prescribes it. I think it helps with water weight & that's the main reason I take it now.
    Dvent- hey! It's hard to say about the shedding. When I wash daily maybe 30-40? When I skip days maybe 50?

10. Bald eagle 1996

Dislikes Received:
    Hi sheeny, I'm so happy for you. I'm really just beginning this horrible journey. I am jobless and can't afford a dermatologist visit right now. The battle seems endless. My hair loss started after weight loss surgery and really never stopped. It's 3 yrs later and it's become noticeable. I religiously use toppik. It's a god send. I'm just terrified I'll go bald and toppik won't work. This has consumed my world. I fight to just live. I think suicidal thoughts. I know it's dramatic but it's true. My ferritin was 13 in March. I'm afraid to overload on iron tho. I take bariatric vitamins with 100% of my iron. Do u think more iron would help? I'm just grasping at straws.

11. sheeny

Dislikes Received:
    I'm so sorry you are having those terrible thoughts. I think many of us can say we have been there. Please don't let your hair decide your happiness for you. I know how hard it is. I've lived it. But you are a beautiful person with or without hair. I'm not just saying that, it's true.
    As far as iron goes, it doesn't hurt. Maybe try one that is easily absorbed in case you are having absorption issues. Also, take your hormones into consideration. I don't remember your age or your history (kids, etc) but those hormones can have quite the effect on hair. If you have any questions about what or when to test, send me a message or post here. I'll try to check in more often❤️

12. Bald eagle 1996

Dislikes Received:
    Hi sheeny
    Please tell me what u know about testing for this.

sheeny likes this.
  13. sheeny

Dislikes Received:
    I would have all of your sex hormones tested. There are tons of them- maybe 10 or so. I always test estrogen & progesterone on day 21 of my cycle because that's when my doctor recommended testing for an accurate ratio. I have/had very high estrogen in relation to progesterone so I am on a natural progesterone cream for 12-14 days out of my cycle. I can't remember exactly how to figure out the ratio now, but if you Google I'm sure you can plug in your results. I also take the supplement DIM to help metabolize extra estrogen. Starting this has made a significant difference in my shedding.
    I would also test all of your thyroid hormones, not just tsh. There are a ton of these, too. Probably at least 8-10. If you can't afford to see an integrative or naturopathic dr right now (don't even waste your time or $ on your general practitioner or traditional caregivers because they won't order these panels for you), you can order yourself on walkinlabs.com or similar sites & get your own results. They have full panels like I mentioned above. I'm not a doctor & I would recommend working with a physician & not on your own, but it's a start. Better to go in armed with info. There is also a great Facebook group about female hormone imbalances with many experienced members that are an incredible resource. I'll come back & post the name.
    I don't know if your loss has a hormonal component, but if it does, regulating them may help!

14. dvent1111

dvent1111 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Sheeny! So happy to hear all is going well!
    I have been having a much lesser shed and seeing a decent amount of regrowth over the past 6 months since I have stopped letting my dr change thyroid meds every couple months (that was brutal!)... but what I have noticed is mid cycle my hair shedding increases. It's like clockwork, day 14 is my highest shed (around 100 ish) then goes back down to around 70 for a week or two they slowly creeps back up mid cycle.v Since you mentioned progesterone/estrogen I was wondering if you had something similar that you noticed?