Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Using Rogaine to help TE regrowth/recovery...

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by hairtothere, Jun 18, 2015.

1. hairtothere

hairtothere Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone used Rogaine successfully to help speed regrowth/recovery from TE specifically, if so what was your TE trigger?

My Derm. recommended I use Rogaine to boost recovery and I am/was terrified to go through the dread shed. My hair loss never reached "critical mass" where I felt I didn't have much left to lose. I have alway had hair covering my scalp and could get by and now have a decent enough recovery that it is looking better than when my TE seemed to let up. Part of me is a bit greedy and thinks Rogaine can really help me get my formerly thick hair back, and the other part is thinking I should be happy with what I've got.

Anyone have thoughts or advice?

2. DonnaL

DonnaL Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    If you are going through a single TE episode (meaning you know your trigger), I personally would not use Rogaine. I would let it run it's course because the TE will end if it was triggered by something specific that isn't ongoing.

3. rva207

rva207 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Donna. I had a stress-induced TE episode 2 years ago, but it was pretty obvious it unmasked Androgenetic Alopecia. It took a while before I had a biopsy (first derm didn't even mention it), but I have obvious family history as well. If the derm didn't suggest underlying Androgenetic Alopecia and you don't have family history (especially from a female) I'd hold off. I showed slow but steady recovery from TE and noticed a big improvement at 18 months. It can take years, depending on how much you lost. My recovery wasn't what it should be, however, due to already miniaturized follicles.

4. Nerak

Nerak Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Me! My shed had a few obvious triggers that I've spoken about before and I did think there was a bit of Androgenetic Alopecia in the mix.

the shed didn't bother me as I was already in pretty bad shape with very little left to lose.

the problem is that now I don't know if my hair would have recovered without the minoxidil and I'm terrified to stop. In many ways I do wish I would have waited it out a bit. On the other hand maybe getting onto it quickly was the key to my success?

Sorry, not very helpful, is it!