Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Versacchi Warning

Discussion in 'Hats, Wraps, Cosmetic Options for Alopecians' started by hgfmama, Aug 13, 2009.

1. hgfmama

hgfmama Guest

Hello ladies,

I haven't written in a while as my father just passed away but I felt I should tell you all about my experience with Versacchi Salon in Maryland. What an awful time I have had with them.

I have had an ill parent who just passed away. During this time my hair loss became impossible to cover. Between running to the hospital and caring for my son I did not have the time to run around looking at different options. So I (and I can only blame myself) used Versacchi in Baltimore. HUGE mistake!

Here is a list as to why:

1. Refused to call the manufacture to see when and if my topper order was being made. It took several more weeks to come in then was told. Was told that they will not call "until we have several other orders". The owner Sherry never returned any calls.

2. Topper color turned red. Was told I would have to pay to have it died to match.

3. Clips tore out a quarter sized bit of hair. Sherry (the owner who took weeks to call me) said "You were doing something wrong and are to rough with it."

4. Started going to other wig places and am now aware that this topper is the most pathetic example of a topper EVER. It has 10% of the hair in it that it should, is stringy and only (according to the other wig experts that have looked at it will last about 6 months). The last lady I talked to said it looks like a topa for a man. They also say that the hair does not look like it is the European hair promised.

This was, far and away, the worst consumer experience I have ever had. I feel stupid and taken advantage of at a very rough time in my life. Not to mention that I am out 800 dollars and can not afford to replace the hair piece.

2. kimm

kimm Guest

I'm so sorry for your loss and this horrible experience!

Thanks so much for warning us about this place. It really makes me livid when people take advantage of those in a desperate place.

Don't be to hard on yourself. You were going through a difficult time and put your trust into someone for help who it turns out, didn't deserve it.

I wish I had some words of wisdom to help make this better but I can only sympathize! :(

Is there any way to recoup some of the money lost? I'd at least report them to the BBB.

At any rate, we've all seen here how a good review can boost a persons business (flora has had to have seen her business at least double in this past year!) and I'm sure the opposite holds true for those that participate and lurk here. It's just as important to know where NOT to go as well as where the good places are.

((hugs)) I hope you can find an affordable solution soon!

3. BGDL

BGDL Guest

hgfmama,

So sorry to hear those situations still occur..too often.

Pay on AMEX by any chance? I've found them good at going to bat against retailers and docking retailer's account for legitimate product or service complaints.

I'm also a fan of Angie's List....let your whole community know where the crummy ( and good) sales and service are. When I don't get the responsiveness I expect nowadays, I just say the magic words: " I post on Angie's List." Gets their attention.

Thea

4. SherryBerry

SherryBerry Guest

So sorry you have had a such a stressfu experiance. it's nice though that you have posted youe experiance so othes can learn abot different salons.

I just visited the website and almost wet my pants laughing :hairy:

5. EsmeMarie

EsmeMarie Member

Dislikes Received:
    I just stumbled across this post, and I can attest-- DO NOT EVER GO TO VERSACCHI! Sherri Romm is nothing more than a con artist, and she/this salon are all too happy to rip you off. I too was at a low point and ordered a topper from her. It was HORRID! I had to keep calling for it, and the piece was simply awful. It cost me $1500 for a topper that was way too dense for my head, was cheap course hair w/ lousy texture, did not even match my hair color, looked like a muffin-top on top of my head, and had broken clips! She wanted me to come back to spend more $$$ on a hair dye job and a hair cut. My husband convinced me not to after I was so upset at being taken by this woman, so thankfully I cancelled that appt. I hope we can save others from going here, this place truly is awful and takes advantage of women like us.

6. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am so lucky to have found my stylist. I just ordered two new HH toppers with a soft cap (hopefully a more realistic looking part) - these are custom made for my head with quality, not over-processed hair (which does turn reddish and is hard to shampoo, had that with toppers from a previous stylist) - I don't get hung up on Remy, European etc., just want good looking hair. I am paying $950 each, a slight increase from a regular mono top. This includes the cut in, thinning etc. when I go to her for my bio hair cut and color, she refreshes the topper color if needed at no extra cost, also shampoos and styles it. Wish you all lived near Charlotte NC!

7. EsmeMarie

EsmeMarie Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! Your hair stylist sounds fantastic! I have ordered 2 toppers altogether and 1 Evolve Volumizer. The 2 toppers were a total waste, and the Evolve Volumizer was a nightmare-- ripped my hair out, increased the shedding, caused my bald spots to get even bigger, and broke my hair off.

I wish we lived near you in NC b/c I would go to your hair stylist in a heartbeat.

Does anyone know of any decent reputable hair places in MD? I've been to 3 already and none of them are any good.

8. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry - used to live in PA but didn't wear hair then. You might check at heralopecia.com in the Etailer/retailer section. Not a lot of recent posts but you can go back and see what has been postd in the past.

9. EsmeMarie

EsmeMarie Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Lily,

I have seen the heralopecia.com site listed on here, so thanks :)

How did you decide "when" to start wearing hair? Do you wear hair everyday? Can you pull it up, so it's not in your face? I hope these aren't stupid ?s, but I really don't know, and I really don't know what to do. I just know my hair is super thin and awful.

Also, when you buy hair, how do you find someone to cut it? So far the only places around here only cut it if you buy the hair piece from them.

10. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I started wearing hair almost 8 years ago when I realized that my last option - avodart - wasn't going to be a miracle "cure" for me. Also, the Toppik concealer I had been using just wasn't enough anymore. I went to a stylist who also sold toppers and started with her. After she moved I found my current stylist who has been working with hair replacement clients for 20+ years. I buy my toppers through her and she does the cutting and thinning. You can look under Hair Replacement I think in the Yellow Pages. Like some other stylists trained in cutting wigs and toppers (different than a head of bio hair) she only does the ones she sells, although she did trim my older toppers when I first started with her.

11. EsmeMarie

EsmeMarie Member

Dislikes Received:
    Lily,

Ok some more ?s for you :)

1. Are you on any meds now? or anything else to help your hair?
    2. Do your toppers attach via clips? If so, how do they not pull your hair out?

It seems no one around here has a good reputation, ugh!

12. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I gave up all treatments when I started wearing hair. I've been losing hair since perimenopause (now 67) and tried everything out there, over-the-counter, prescription and snake oil. Nothing helped enough to keep me from getting the topper. I have always worn clip-on pieces, haven't been able to bring myself to bond. Although I don't think I have specific traction alopecia, I have had significant hair loss at the frontal and continued overall loss. Of course, even if I did have traction alopecia - who would see it? I do try to move the clips a bit but there aren't a lot of options in the front. I often leave the front and back clips undone depending on my activity. As my hair continues to thin, I may have to bond - my stylist doesn't think it will be a big deal for me. I'm one of her few clients that clip.

13. EsmeMarie

EsmeMarie Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Lily,

The derm I last saw said some ppl have regrowth using the hair laser helmet. Of course I thought this was bologna! Do you have any experience with that?

Is there any kind of topper that does not have clips to attach to your head? b/c that is the only kind I have seen. I'm amazed you can use clips :)

14. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I tried the lasercomb with no success, helmet wasn't out yet. My stylist does some sort of weave - makes a braid, then uses monofilament to attach the topper. She says if it is done correctly, it does not hurt bio hair. I'm tempted to try it one of these times.

15. EsmeMarie

EsmeMarie Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Lily,

How does the monofilament to attach the topper come out? So you sleep in it, then? That is VERY interesting, I've never heard of this. I think you must really have a good hair stylist. Thanks so much for all of your advice on this.

16. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    She says she sees the topper to the braid with monofilament - I'm guessing she clips the thread to remove it. If I ever try it I'll report back to the board.

17. EsmeMarie

EsmeMarie Member

Dislikes Received:
    You must really have decent hair to wear toppers for 8 years.

For someone like me who has really thin bald spots and not much hair to clip onto, would you recommend a full wig? I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet on these hair treatments to try and save my hair, but I am on the verge of needing to do something soon. Would a wig "save" the bio hair that is left? and possibly allow it to grow out? I'm so confused on what to do.

I would love to get an integration system, I just don't think I have enough hair left to do that. I tried the Evolve Volumizer and that was a total disaster, so I'm near certain I would not do anything like that again. And the 2 toppers I had hurt my head b/c the clips were digging into my scalp and they pulled out my hair, plus my head was so hot and sweaty and itched. What would you recommend?

18. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm no expert and my hair has certainly continued to thin while I've worn toppers. If you can't clip, then you have to bond or take from what I know. If by integration system you mean a top through you pull your bio four, that's how I started out. But you don't get a realistic part, although I suppose they are cooler to wear perhaps. Wearing a wig or topper doesn't destroy your bio hair and you can get a topper that covers a good deal of your scalp. Move covers the entire top of my head and down the back a bit. I'd recommend finding someone very experienced and trustworthy who deals in replacement hair. Both the stylists I've worked with did not charge for an initial consultation.

19. EsmeMarie

EsmeMarie Member

Dislikes Received:
    If you bond, how does that work? Do you have to shave your head in the areas to bond to?

Other than the 2 clip-on toppers, I tried the Evolve Volumizer, which absolutely destroyed my bio hair. It attaches to your bio hair via silicone beads that get clamped on. The thing was really tight and made my head sore. When I had it removed, the woman used pliers to break the beads, it felt like she was literally pulling/yanking my hair out. My hair fell out and was much more thin in the areas where the beads were attached, and my hair is broken. I still have a these super curly pieces everywhere that just stick up, which I never had before. My thin spots were pink after she removed the hair piece and hurt to touch. I even took my mom w/ me when I had it removed, and my mother was like-- what the #ell did you do to my daughter?!

I think you have good ppl where you live b/c I've been to 3 places here, and sadly no one is any good.

20. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I think you must shave your head in the spots you bond to. I am lucky to have found my stylist, but I drive over an hour to get there.