Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Wearing a wig if bald

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by MarshaMarsha, May 12, 2009.

1. MarshaMarsha

MarshaMarsha Guest

Hi ladies. I'm seriously considering going to have what little bit of hair I have remaining shaved off. It's just too depressing every day and every night to see all the strands in the shower, on the pillowcase, on my clothes.

My question is, once I go bald, how does that affect wearing a wig? Do you still wear a wig cap? Does the wig stay in place as well? I know it's got to make it a little bit cooler though, right?

Your expert opinions are soooo helpful to me!

2. meowchica

meowchica Guest

A question I can answer :)

I don't wear any kind of wig cap. There really is no reason to if you do not have hair. As long as your wig fits you or you have it adjusted to fit you, it shouldn't move around. Being bald doesn't affect that. I even own toupee tape and and one of those gel headbands to wear underneath, and I haven't worn either in months because there's really not reason to if you have a comfy enough wig.

I can't promise wearing a wig will ever be "cool" but certainly it will be cooler than with hair and a wig cap.

Are you going to get it shaved somewhere or doing it yourself? It's actually pretty easy to just take a razor to your head in the same way you would your legs. It's a really easy area to shave. (Apparently the hardest parts are behind your ears, but I never had to shave that because I didn't have hair there)

3. MarshaMarsha

MarshaMarsha Guest

Thanks meowchica, that's great to know, gives the idea an added bonus! I have found my wig to be great in so many ways, except for the fact that it is soooo hot. I have a very sensitive internal thermostat anyway, and our weather here in VA has been unseasonably warm already, and wow, that feeling of having two wool caps on my head is very uncomfortable already, so I cannot imagine how it's going to feel in August! Plus I find that the wig cap is very irritating to my scalp so it will be nice to be able to get rid of that.

I am actually planning to go to the stylist I've been using for about 5 years now - haven't made an appt. yet but plan to do so soon. She is very compassionate about my condition, and will be more than happy to "do" me without any other clients present, so I can avoid a little bit of embarrassment. I suppose I could do it myself, but I think I'd rather have her do it for me the first time, you know? Just gotta get up the nerve to go ahead and "git-r-done"!!

Thanks again for your reply.

4. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

marsha

I think its a great idea to shave your head ( I wish I would have done this when I was 14) and even though its scary and sad, I think you will feel a lot better!! :bravo:

5. MarshaMarsha

MarshaMarsha Guest

Yes, BB, I think I'll feel better too....

6. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

I know that katydid shaved her head (and posted pics) and documented her feelings about it. I've heard a lot of people say it was a good decision to make for them and the hard part was actually doing it, but after that, they were happy.

7. Vlal

Vlal Guest

I shaved my head - well my BF did it the first time - and it was the most liberating thing ever... would totally do it again. I had it like that for about 14 months and wore a wig full time to work then.

As for wearing a wig afterwards, like meowchica said, no wig cap is necessary. The only thing I noticed was that the wig did feel a lot looser afterwards so I just had to adjust the straps to make it tighter. It is definitely cooler and I personally found it A LOT more comfortable as I used to find wearing a wig with hair could be a bit itchy, whereas once I shaved there was no bio hair to move around underneath and irritate me.

8. alicat

alicat Guest

I so want to shave my head too, but I use some of my own hair when I wear my wig. I use the clips in the front to hold my wig in place when I wear it back. I also wear my hair down and incorporate some of my bio hair with my wig hair for a natural looking pony :)

9. Katydid

Katydid Guest

I hear she if very happy with her decision too ;) LOL

It really helped me get over the 'mourning' of it all. When you are losing your hair you feel helpless and out of control (I know I"m preaching to the choir here girls).

But when I shaved it, it gave ME the power for a change. Those scraps of hair was not doing anything except mocking me. I could not wear my 'real' hair in public, and I was going out of my way to save something that wasn't worth it.

I look at it this way, My hair left me, I did not leave my hair.

I never looked back girlie . .

10. nocturne

nocturne Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Katydid - love your words of wisdom!

Nocturne

11. angel706

angel706 Guest

Maybe instead of shaving your head completely smooth, you could buzz it down very short...say 1/4" to 1/2 inch long? That way, you wouldn't risk showing bald spots if you wear a wefted wig and the wind lifts up the hair. Also, hair that short can sort of act like "velcro" in a way and can actually make your wig feel more secure.

12. MarshaMarsha

MarshaMarsha Guest

I can't decide which way I want to go.....I'm afraid if I get it close-shaved, and leave 1/4 to 1/2 inch, all my bald patches will be way too noticeable and therefore too hard to ignore, you know? And heck, I figure if I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it right, so....... :dunno:

Opinions anyone?

13. Katydid

Katydid Guest

Honestly, once your head is shaved the hair grows really fast because no breakage, etc. So if you shave it closer than you like, it will grow out in a week or so. It only takes two weeks for your hair to grow 1/4 inch.

I don't like my head shaved totally smooth, and I leave a 1/4 inch or so when I do shave it. I just think totally smooth makes me look sick and I do go around with a bare head occasionally (just around the apartment complex).

Oddly when I was trying to save my little hair scraps they didn't seem to grow at all. I lost length terribly. My hair started past my waist, and when I finally shaved it, the length was to my neck. NOW that I wear it shaved, I have to shave it all the time because it grows so fast :shock: Now I get annoyed that it grows fast. LOL

Don't overthink it. I would suggest putting the razor on 1 or 2, a very close buzz cut and just shave it. Don't try to do the Mach razor deal where it's smooth as a baby butt or anything. Allow yourself to see it shaved, but still with the 'healthy' look (not the cancer patient look).

I will tell you, that I have never met one person that regrets shaving their head. If the loss is pronounced enough to be severely visually distracting, then you are only gaining ground by 'dealing with it'. I am not saying there will not be a 'shock factor' involved, but trust me you will spend a LOT more time worrying about it, BEFORE you shave, than after.

It's up to you, but this is all a process of self-acceptance. Nothing more, nothing less. Hair does not have anything to do with overall health.

Shaving your head is no different than shaving your legs. It is our culture that dictates one is odd, and the other is acceptable. There are many cultures that have just the opposite set of rules. We cause ourselves debilitating mental struggle over something that is, at it's core, no different of a personal decision that shaving your arm pits.

I am not belittling it, but I want to highlight that it is US that makes it a big deal. There is no scientific reason for it to be a concern.

14. MarshaMarsha

MarshaMarsha Guest

Katy, thanks so much for your input. You're right, shaving your head should not be any different than shaving our legs/armpits/etc.....it's just such a shame that society makes it such a big deal!

Yeah, I figured that once I do go "all the way" my hair will grow way too fast! And yeah, I've already decided not to go totally smooth at first, and see how I like it. Then if I want to take off more, I can.

I guess all in all it really doesn't matter too much. The only people who see me without either my wig or a bandana are my husband and my daughter, and they love me no matter what. I am a big beach lover though, so I've warned all my girlfriends not to be too shocked with my new look....and they've all reassured me that they too love me for me and not for my hair....aren't friends just wonderful?!

:love:

15. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Marsha, :)

Just want to add my words to everyone else's here. I have yet to hear a negative comment from anyone who's taken the plunge and shaved their head. It does give you back some of the control that having hairloss takes away. There may be some tears when you do it but you will feel a release afterwards.

I was smoothly bald but have been having to save some regrowth for a year or so now. I can't believe how fast it grows back. I could be shaving every couple days. Not only that but it seems to grow in stronger and thicker. What's up with that?

I find wigs warm to wear as well particularly in the summer months. Most body heat is released through your head so if you are wearing a wig it's holding some of that heat in. That's the one downside of wigs for me. That's why I go Alopecia Universalis natural a lot or wear a bandana . So much cooler.

Shaving your head will actually help your wig stay on more securely especially if it's a nice, snug fit. I have never worn any adhesives or tapes.

Have fun with your new look!!!

Hugs, Joann

16. MarshaMarsha

MarshaMarsha Guest

Hi Joann, thanks so much for your words of wisdom.

I am so looking forward to getting rid of this little bitty crappy looking head of hair I've got left. It's hard to believe that 3 months ago I had a full thick shiny head of hair, and now I've got like 3 strips on my entire head! I think it will be such a relief not to watch it falling out daily, as well as a bonus that I won't have to clean it up off the bathroom floor continuously as I have been doing lately!

I'll let you know how it goes, okay?