Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

What concealer do you use girls? :)

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by cocoa, Oct 30, 2014.

1. cocoa

cocoa Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all!

I've decided to stop feeling depressed ... and buy me a concealer! Hooray! So I'm interested in the brands you are using. I'll have to get them through amazon because they are not sold hère in France, can you believe it? Right now I'm thinking about buying both joan rivers and toppik. I need them to cover mainly the bald spot that I have at the back of my head. When I style my hair correctly i just have a spot that is approx 10cm long and maybe 5cm large round the vertex. The rest is hidden under the hair. Do you think concealers Will be enough? Or should I get a topper right away lol?

Have a Nice evening!

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I used Toppik before I realized it was time to invest in a topper. I have diffuse hair loss and found that as it got thinner and thinner Toppik worked less and less well. I would lightly spray my hair, shake on the Toppik, pat my hair and spray again. It definitely worked better when I had more hair.

3. cocoa

cocoa Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking a concealer would work more on diffuse hair loss, and not so much on a particular bald spot, am I right? Thank you for your answer!

4. speedpuppy

speedpuppy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I would agree with this, depending on the size of the spot. So far I've tried the Joan Rivers Great Hair Day & really like it. My loss is mainly diffuse at this point & a product like that (comparable to eyeshadow) works well for now. Similar products are DermMatch & Cover Your Gray. Sometimes 1 brand will have a better color match for you than another. Also, the Joan Rivers powder is a bit heavily fragranced (at least to my nose ;) Another thing with the Joan Rivers powder is that they run a bit dark - if you're a true blond, the Blond color will be dark - as I understand it's more of a medium brown. I use the Brunette & it's a good match for my chestnut brown hair which is often mistaken for black.

I bought some Toppik but haven't needed it yet. From what you describe, I think the Toppik is a good place to start for the larger area you're concerned about. But be aware if it's too far back on your head you may have some difficulty shaking the powder on the right spot & seeing what your results are. The trick will be getting it to go where you want & trying to blend with whatever natural hair you have in that area. They also sell it with a spray applicator but I haven't tried it yet so don't know if that is helpful.

In any case, I think taking some proactive steps like this will help you feel a little better - it did for me. The 1st time I tried the Joan Rivers powder I was so amazed at how well it worked. My loss is not significantly visible yet since I had sooooo much to start with, but the powder makes it virtually undetectable. I think it'll be a worthwhile experiment for you!

Good luck!

5. cocoa

cocoa Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think I'll get both Joan rivers and toppik and work them together! Thanks for your answers girls :))

6. Tara101

Tara101 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone used nanofibers?

7. ducksauce

ducksauce Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I tried Toppik, but I have blonde hair and it left a very noticeable greenish tint on my scalp. I currently use just a touch of Good Hair Day by Joan Rivers and really like it. No funky tints, and just a tiny bit goes a long way.

8. cocoa

cocoa Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you!!! I use a french équivalent if toppik and I'm quite satisfied at the moment. But I really wanna try something like dermmatch or Joan rivers to go with it , but it is a little too expensive to délivre for what it is, and so fat there are no équivalents in France.