Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

what could this mean?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by hairlossmaniac, Jan 5, 2015.

1. hairlossmaniac

hairlossmaniac Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I just noticed that I shed some thin long hairs along with thicker ones. These thinner ones are of varying length n mostly tapered n I also she'd some short ones. The short ones I notice mainly on my pillow in the morning n wen I comb. Most of my she'd hairs get stuck in the ends n I pull them out. Wat could this thinner hair mean? If I shed 15 strands I 'll find about 6 of these thinner longer strands.

2. alohakels

alohakels Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    This typically indicates miniaturization. I have the same thing.

3. ducksauce

ducksauce Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    While it is indicative of miniaturization, that does NOT mean Androgenetic Alopecia. Low iron, chronic TE, recovering TE, thyroid issues…. they can ALL cause miniaturization. Some forms will recover and revert to terminal hair, some will not.

4. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've been wondering the same thing. Since I've been seeing random short thin hairs shedding along with my normal length.
    I'm hoping it's my hair trying to cycle through from a 3 year long shed from having seborrheic dermatitis.

5. hairlossmaniac

Dislikes Received:
    but i have heard that minituarised hairs dont typically grow long...but the thinner strands i shed is as long as my other strands just thinner...could they be intermediate hair? aalso i hae read that wen u recover from an extensive horrible bout of te the hair short cycles. the shorter strands i shed are not necessarily thin..i just dont know what to interpret anymore

6. Ruth

Ruth Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I also shed a lot of shorter and intermediate hairs. But they are not thin. They are still healthy looking hair.
    As my hair in general in getting a lot shorter because off all the shedding, i probably don't have that many longer hairs to shed.
    The number of hairs i am shedding have gone down a lot in the past few days, also my ferritin i up (coming from 15 3,5 months ago to 70 2 weeks ago) so hopefully my (C)TE was ferritin induced.

7. hairlossmaniac

Dislikes Received:
    wow ruth my vit d3 level was at 4 wen i last checked which was horribly low. my haemoglobin was 10 which was low and i was under horrible stress. like for months i slept everyday at 5 am. even though if i recall i was also shedding that time but nothing unbearable. things got worser in 2014 march and i went to a derm who said its cte. i tried his meds but nothing worked so i went to a govn doctor who said its fphl. i was shocked cuz i could pull out 30 hairs at one pull. morover mom doesnt have it n shes 41. dad is 53 and has a bald spot but it started later for him and as long as i can remember he had the spot. it was stable for him. grandpa has a lot of hair inhis 70s n grandma was born with thin hair. my mom is a single child but all my dad s sisters n brother hav full heads n they are all older than him. just nothing seemed right to me. i went to 7 doctors all together. one was at a hair clinic they showed my scalp under microscope and i saw so many regrowths n only maybe 2 slightly thinner strands out of 20. it was rediculous the amount of hair that was coming out. 300 to 200 plus easily. he said its Androgenetic Alopecia n i was devastated. after everythn i went to a general practitioner out of sheer desperation and he told me to use alpecin and my tsh was 4.74 slightly higher than the range so was given meds. now after 1 year i hav grown back some hair and it still sheds more than my original normal but way lesser. but now i am shedding some small strands along with longer ones. was it the alpecin working for me or was it a cte afterall i dont know...i will love to have a biopsy but here in india i dont know where its done. through my experience i will say that most doctors are clueless about hairloss especially female and they just prescribe rogaine and kick us out. for example just after march around april i went to a derm he just looked at my scalp for a min and said use minoxidil 2%. then around september went to a govn derm. these derms u dont have to pay them to show urself. they treat very poor people who cant afford. i went to him out of desperation. he saw my prescriptiuons and said use minoxidil 5% whereas i had never used the 2%.

8. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hm, I'm wondering if the short hairs I have shedding out, which the numbers have been greatly reduced for the last few days, is due to my vit. d deficiency and my scalp issues. I notice that whenever I take my vit. d3 that my hair sheds a lot less than I'm used to. Hopefully my hair is finally trying to correct itself.
    I asked my derm if he noticed any pattern of hair loss and he said no. I was kind of relieved to hear that, simply because not a single female in my family on both sides have any forms of Androgenetic Alopecia, they've only slightly thinned once they hit menopause. Same for the males, they've all dealt with minor recession as they aged.
    I was just glad my derm actually took the time to look at my scalp, or I would've probably ended up walking out of his office being told to use rogaine and that there was nothing I could do. I still think my hair loss is related to my SD, low vit. d (read a 16.8 when it was checked) and possibly my iron. While I do feel and see some regrowth, at the rate it falls out can't catch up to the growth because it's been so stunted. Hoping to see something within the next 1-3 months. Since I've gotten the inflammation down drastically since I've been treating my scalp for the last 5 months. I've also been taking my vit. d3 religiously. My pcp recommended 2000 IU's a day, but having a clinical deficiency, shouldn't I be taking more? So i went out and got 5000 IU's of D3 instead. I take 5000 4x a week, and 10000 IU's 3x a week. I've only been doing this for about a month now with some skipped days of vitamins all together. But hoping it's helping.
    Gah, why is female hair loss so complicated. Damn our hormones and complicated bodies!