Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

What does hair loss from PCOS look like?

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by MsTurk, Mar 3, 2010.

1. MsTurk

MsTurk Guest

Hi- So I've been shedding for almost a year at a rate of 150 -200 hairs a day. It's definitely slowed down since the beginning 6 months of losing around 500 hairs a day. I thought this was sprung on from using YAZ and then over-dying my hair twice in 2 days... but since it's still not letting up I think my PCOS could be the culprit. I'm having serious diffuse loss all over and all the doctors I've visited seem to think it's not the PCOS. Can someone who has hair loss from PCOS tell me their experience?

2. GINAA

GINAA Guest

well I dont know if I have but some docs think I have some dont.
    all I know is that after you stop bcp they dx you with pcos since all your hormones go crazy.
    I first thought I had TE from 3 months of bcp but now I think it has triggered Androgenetic Alopecia forme.
    I have serious diffuse loss with more on the top and sides.the thing is once your TE changes to Androgenetic Alopecia then you can't regrow what you've lost from initial TE.
    I've bee waiting for regrowth for so long and just realized its time to treat my induced Androgenetic Alopecia.
    I dont shed alot anymore maybe aroudn 50 sometime 30 hair aday.but I can see most of it comes out from sides and the top.

3. GINAA

GINAA Guest

oh btw you can see my other thread.I've added some pics.
    I used to have hair like you (your pic)maybe even thicker.
    now it's been so thin on the top that I jut cant look at myself in the mirror.
    It still look ok to some people but I'm middle easterns and how my hair looks right now is pretty severe loss to us.

4. dying curls

dying curls Guest

hair loss from PCOS is Androgenetic Alopecia (androgenic alopecia).
    Besides Yaz are you on something to control your hormones?
    Yaz helps but it does not really regulate androgens ( well in some cases yes bt not for everybody).

I started , i think , to thin at age 17...i did nto notice until 22!!! and even by then docs were like ; "no you dont have pcos, no you dont have hair loss...you have curly hair so your hair grow like this blabla)....It turned out i had pcos but i had to see like 3 docs to get a proper diagnosis.... And for the hair loss even more!
    The problem is my hair loss was diffuse and very progressive at first, i had thick hair to start with so even when i started to thin i still had a normal amount of hair.

So hair loss pattern is different for every body but with Androgenetic Alopecia, it's often diffuse all over the scalp except at the back of the head that generally start to thin out when the hair loss is very advanced.

5. Eztli

Eztli Guest

I have Androgenetic Alopecia (PCOS causes this type of hair loss). I have been told that hairloss caused by pcos is supposed to follow male pattern baldness (i.e thinning on top and hairline). Mine has never followed this pattern and is universal all over my head.

I do have PCOS which causes the hormone changes responsible for hair loss. However, I also have an adrenal problem where I produce way too much DHT. (dht is also produced by having PCOS). I am not sure if this is true, but I feel like with all that I did for my hair, all the meds all the lifestyle changes, etc would have helped if PCOS was solely the culprit.

6. Pelin77

Pelin77 Guest

?f you pcos doctors can understand your blood test and you can easly understand LH and FSH. If LH/FSH > 3 you are probably pcos.
    Doctors want to take these tests :free testesterone, total testesterone, 17OH Progesterone, DEAS H and Cortisol