Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

What is the best shampoo?

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by lisalisa, Feb 7, 2009.

1. lisalisa

lisalisa Guest

I hear Wen is good, no sodium laureth sulfate. Has anyone used Viviscal Shampoo regularly? Any other suggestions for shampoo. I just heard head and shoulders causes hair loss... :freaked2:
    I am using that now!! oh no..

2. aries

aries Guest

I heard the same thing about head and shoulders.

3. finaleofseem

finaleofseem Guest

Me too, about head and shoulders.

I don't know about "best" shampoo, because I haven't tried a ton of them. But, if you have scalp pain I really do recommend Nizoral once or twice a week. It helped me.

As far as SLS-free shampoos, I've only tried two: Real Solutions moisturizing formula and my current shampoo, called Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo put out by Giovanni. I found it at my Rite Aid, and it comes in a square, clear bottle. I LOVE this shampoo. It has mint and tea tree oil which get my hair really clean without leaving it really dry, and make my scalp feel all tingly. I think this also helps with my scalp pain. But it may not for everyone, obviously.

I still use the Real Solutions moisturizing conditioner. My hair's naturally dry during the winter, and this brings moisture back without taking away my hair's body.

Just some suggestions!

4. lisalisa

lisalisa Guest

Thanks! I wonder if Nizoral is good...Anyone try that?

5. lisalisa

lisalisa Guest

My head has been itching since I have been using the head and shoulders..is this good or bad?
    :dunno:

6. Finale,

Have you tried a t-gel for scalp pain? I have scalp pain and I started using neutrogena 2 in 1 t-gel once week. I got the kind that does not have coal tar. The active ingredient is zinc-something or other. It has definitely helped.

7. Melon

Melon Guest

Hi girls,

I've used nizoral about twice and week and found it quite good. Then I went to my dermatologist who told me I had dermatitis and recommended Oilatum scalp treatment shampoo and this made my scalp a lot less red and generally in better condition

8. finaleofseem

finaleofseem Guest

Sheddy,

I tried T-gel products, both with and without coal tar. Didn't really do much for me. But I'm glad it worked for you!

Between the new shampoo and Nizoral, I think my scalp pain issues are under control, for now.

9. angieangie

angieangie Guest

SLS shampoos should be okay if you don't wash your hair everyday... more like every 3-4 days.

Good SLS shampoos:
    Nioxin
    Nizoral
    Phytorhum by Phyto
    John Freida's Volume Shampoo
    Dr. Miracle's Shampoos
    New! by Lush

Good non SLS shampoos (apparently):
    Burt's Bees Pomegranate Shampoo
    Prairie Naturals
    Organix
    Sammy's 100% Pure Shampoos

AVOID:
    Pantene
    Head and Shoulders
    Fructus
    Herbal Essense
    Alberto
    J.A.S.O.N. (SLS free)

10. I've just started using L'Oreal's new Sulfate Free 100% vegan EverPure shampoo & conditioner. I use the one for volume. I'm fairly satisfied with the results.

Though it doesn't leave my hair as full as the John Frieda volume shampoo and the other volume shampoos with sulfates I'd been using, it DOES leave my hair a lot less dry/porous and less frizzy.

I'm sure the sulfates and salts (sodium chloride is in most shampoos) in regular shampoos do contribute to making fragile Androgenetic Alopecia much weaker.

My burning scalp scabs seem to be healing...I'm wondering if it was these harsh SLS shampoos all along which were aggravating my scalp and preventing the scabs from healing! Of course, my derm never mentioned using SLS free shampoos....at one point she recommended Pantene!

I guess for the days I want more 'ooomph', I can substitute the EverPure with the John Frieda volume, I also liked the results from the Sunsilk volume shampoo. I sometimes use the prescription strength version of Nizoral, but it leaves my hair pretty dry, so I reserve that for the days I have bad burning scalp sensations.

I'd still like to try the SLS free Real Solutions shampoo...I'm still waiting for my local Rite-Aid to get delivery....

11. angieangie

angieangie Guest

How often do you wash your hair? Using a shampoo with SLS once a week, maybe twice should be okay. This is how often I wash my hair, if I go over twice a week I'm gonna try using a new SLS free shampoo I bought... my scalp gets a bit itchy if I wash it too much.

12. michelesmith

michelesmith Guest

i wash mine 2x a week and do use regular shampoos, always did with thick hair etc i really dont believe that shampoos will make hair fall out either most people i know use the cheapest shampoos around, if you have scalp problems etc then yes its good to use mild sls free shampoos =

13. finaleofseem

finaleofseem Guest

:agree:

In my case, I know it wasn't a shampoo issue making my hair fall. However, it DOES make my scalp feel better to use an SLS-free shampoo. But then, I also wash my hair every day. I also find it's less drying on my hair.

14. I don't think shampoos with SLS and sodium chloride can cause people with normal healthy hair to lose hair, though I honestly do think these SLS shampoos are way too harsh for people with Androgenetic Alopecia or any form of hair loss.....mostly because they are way too drying....already fragile thinning hair getting drier will make your hair more fragile and damaged.

Sure the volume shampoos with SLS made my hair appear to have more volume...but all they were doing was swelling up the fragile hair fibers and coating the hair. Angie mentioned that too.

I'd started to notice how much breakage I was getting while using volume shampoos with SLS....so there has to be a connection...because I've done nothing else which would make my already fragile hair break off mid section and get so dry. I'm certainly not dyeing it platinum blond! :shock:

15. Why avoid Jasons Angie? I am using the SLS free sea kelp shampoo now and its lovely!

16. Sarita

Sarita Guest

My favorites shampoos are:

Aveda Volumizing shampoo. Smells great, helps a lot with volume, and doesn't dry out my hair too much. I can usually skip conditioner. But, it's super expensive and causes some buildup so I have to switch off with something else.

Avalon Organics Biotin Complex thickening shampoo. SLS free, gives nice volume, and reasonably priced. It is supposed to help with thinning because it has saw palmetto and biotin. I doubt that it will help with that, and I've only been using it a few weeks anyway, but I like how my hair looks after using it.

17. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

what is the very very very best one that is common. I couldn't find any SLS free shampoo :( I don't worry about conditioner because my hair is half gone so its really easy to comb through... not a lot of tangles. Oh and I have to wash my hair every day because of crazy amounts of oil. Any suggestions?

18. angieangie

angieangie Guest

I never tried it, but it was the only shampoo I could find in stores a few months ago and I never bought it because I could only find bad reviews for it on the internet.

19. The most common SLS free shampoos easily found at stores such as Rite-Aid and Walgreens....are Real Solutions and the new L'Oreal EverPure. I don't know what the very best would be...I'd have to figure the best SLS free shampoo might also be the most expensive? That seems to be the way most things go!

Angie seems to know more about the various brands of SLS free shampoos.

Perhaps a beauty supply store would have a wider range of choices.

20. finaleofseem

finaleofseem Guest

Shwag,

I have trouble finding SLS free shampoos at grocery stores, but find that they're easier to come by at drug stores. If you're a hippie like me, Whole Foods also has some, but they're more expensive. The one I buy is from there, and costs around $8/bottle. It's put out by Giovanni organics.

I've also found Real Solutions there, and at Rite Aid. At drug stores, they tend to be near where the Nizoral/Rogaine are in the hair aisle.

As far as the best SLS shampoos -- no clue! Sorry I can't help there.