Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

What is the best shampoo?

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by lisalisa, Feb 7, 2009.

1. colline

colline Guest

nothing with sls in it as that kills the scalp but nisim has this so you should use a dht blocker and a herbal shampoo. I have used the boots one alpercin and it did work but it is not herbal and has sls in it. I went to a hair transplant guy who said to use herbal shampoo so apart from bicarb of soda and apple cider vinegar i am now using himalayan which is herbal.

I also bought jobaba too and jergens but i found these really expensive for what it is and the scalp goes a bit mad.

What do you guys use as a shampoo?

2. michele1129

michele1129 Guest

I am using Living Proofs "full" Line shampoo and condition..no SLS but really does nothing for the dht and stuff, but you can use it in conjunction with other shampoos. I found that this shampoo and conditioner is doing wonders for my hair! It is making it fuller and healthier. I am a Rogaine user..I also use Nizoral and Nioxin about once a week each one and have noticed that while these product may be great for the scalp, they are not so great for the hair. They both cause my hair to be dry and brittle, in fact, my hair stylist even commented how dry my hair is. Since using these products, along with "full" thickening cream, my hair feels almost normal! I love these products and they even smell good! I would definitely recommend it! They tend to be a little on the expensive side..about $35 for both and then additional for thickening cream, but since I am the only one who uses it, it isnt too bad....worth looking into for sure! :)

3. Stoplockstop

Stoplockstop Guest

The best shampoo is Loreal Everstrong sulfate-free Bodify Shampoo and Conditioner! Makes my hair thicker and gives an additional day of not having to wash my oily hair.

4. cyan

cyan Guest

For me the best shampoo is no shampoo.

For the past two months I've been washing my hair with a baking soda followed by a diluted apple cider vinegar rinse. Not only is my crazy, intense itching scalp gone, but so are the nasty and constant dandruff flakes; both are something I've unsuccessfully battled for many years. Although my shedding hasn't decreased per se, I do see less breakage, which is cool.

I'll never go back to commercial products - EVER. Baking soda and vinegar are cheap, too! ;)

5. I guess we DO react differently to hair products.

I tried the EverStrong and EverPure shampoos when they came out, neither worked. I don't think the Bodify formula was available when the EverStrong was first out on the market, because I know I was looking for a volumizing/body formula. I DID use the Volume formula of EverPure.

I felt neither of these shampoos got all the styling products out of my hair, these shampoo left my hair extremely limp and very dull with no shine.

The smell was awful, they smelled like a men's cleansing product.

6. Melon

Melon Guest

I've been using something new. It's made by Liz Earle here in the UK and it's natural ingredients and SLS free.

There is only one choice of shampoo but several conditioners. I've been using the one for oily hair as mine is greasy and fine and this one volumizes.

The good thing about these products is that they do them in a small size so you can try them and not waste too much if you don't get on with them.

Downside, I'm not sure about shipping internationally.

Here's the website: http://uk.lizearle.com/haircare.html

7. ucla

ucla Guest

i've been using regenepure...has anyone had good experience? i like how it has no SLS and has ketoconazole and saw palmetto and biotin.

8. I only use SLS-free shampoos ever since my hairloss began. One that I like is Thursday Plantation -- it's an Australian tea tree shampoo. I wash every day so I needed something gentle, and my scalp is pretty angry since I'm going through a TE so I also wanted something that will improve my scalp health. I do have less redness now, and it doesn't dry out my hair. I find that the conditioner isn't hydrating enough by itself -- I put it on the roots but I use a thicker one (Jason's Jojoba) for the ends.

9. samging

samging Guest

I used to use Nioxin which is excellent and stopped my hair from falling out. Then I switched to Bosley shampoo, which I like even more because it is free of paraben. I use that on my scalp and I use Alterna moisturizing shampoo on the rest of my hair, and then a really good conditioner. I get these at my salon. My scalp and hair are both in great shape.

10. Pink

Pink Guest

I stopped using Nizoral as it left my hair dry..
    I have never had complaints with Head & Shoulders (mint). It made my hair absolutely clean plus my hair growth (of the existing hair) became faster..

I am currently using Herbal Essences.. I gave my good results earlier but now its making my hair look limp after hair wash..

I have been looking for reviews for good SLS free shampoo's..
    Anyone ever tried shampoo's at Body Shop or Green People, UK?

11. elle34

elle34 Guest

My derm recommended the Body Shop Ginger shampoo for my inflammed, flaky scalp. I was going thru a postpartum TE at the time and felt I shed even more when I used it. However, my three year old daughter had a lot of cradle cap/psoriasis and this worked wonders on her when nothing else did. I'm tempted to try again but am so afraid of an increase in shed. I've read that in theory, the Ginger shampoo should decrease hair loss (I forget the ingredient in it that's supposedly responsible). My daughter has a very healthy scalp for the first time since she was born, but yet I'm still hesitant to try it again. Anyone else found that this shampoo helped? I'm sure a healthy scalp= less hair loss.
    I use Nizoral 2% once a week. Hate what it does to my hair, though. And, I don't think it's working all that well since I still have dermatitis.

12. Blahblahblah

Blahblahblah Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using Aptiva Propoline shampoo for 3 months and it seems to have really helped in slowing down what was a horrendous, free-fall like shed of 250+ a day. Though who knows, utter desperation has me taking 24 vitamin pills a day, and of course Rogaine, so any of this could have contributed but the slowdown of the shed seemed to coincide with the introduction of this shampoo:
    It helps the texture somewhat as well.

13. katethegreat

katethegreat Guest

I do not live in the US but i have been using Ducray's Anaphase and I LOVE it. It works really well for my shedding, I only use it 3x a week and if I wash on other times I use either baking soda and apple cider vinegar or Head and Shoulders (in addition to hair loss i have dandruff, which is just plain not fair).

Now there is no Anaphase available to me (Delayed shipment, I guess, no pharmacy has it) and i have not used it in 3 weeks and I am shedding like crazy. I ordered some on the internet today! It cannot come soon enough.

The same company, Ducray, makes all kinds of hairloss products li8ke a night time leave in and a post wash leave in, and i have heard good things about all of them.

14. denyalmartin

denyalmartin Guest

Here i sharing my best shampoo. My best shampoo is Aveda Volumizing shampoo. It is best shampoo for me. It is provide Smells great, helps a lot with volume, and doesn't dry out my hair too much. I can usually skip conditioner. But, it's super expensive and causes some buildup so I have to switch off with something else.

15. Pink

Pink Guest

I am using The Body Shop Rainforest Range shampoo.. Its sulphate, parabens, colorants free...

I oils my hair before hair wash so the Rainforest shampoo for oily hair gets my oil out but I just have one complaint- its fading my hair color.. I have Black hair and now they are turning into coffee color...

so i am looking for an alternative..

16. strands

strands Guest

I wrote it on a couple of the other topics - Redken Body Full range is very good at shine, adding volume and good texture.

17. armymom2

armymom2 Guest

Volumizing shampoo or a thickening shampoo? I'm assuming there is a difference....what has worked best for you? I've hard volumizing dries your hair out and that thickening is better. Is there even such a thing as a thickening shampoo or is it usually more like a serum? Thanks for you advice. It is greatly appreciated!!!

18. strands

strands Guest

Redken Body full range states "anti gravity volume". While it is not a miracle hair restorer, it is a great range for making your hair look in better condition and more volume.

19. markniklas

markniklas Guest

Well,

You have a good topic start here in this forum. I like your this topic.. All girls have their own share in this topic.. I want to share my shampoo... I used DOVE shampoo for my hairs...

20. Bri

Bri Guest

So many people love using Toppik on their hair for some dry, styled volume - but I don't think I've seen anyone mention the Toppik shampoo or styling product, the "hair fattener".

Has anyone tried these?