Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

What is the best shampoo?

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by lisalisa, Feb 7, 2009.

1. mrm

mrm Guest

good question bri - i just picked up some toppik at sally stores (loved it btw) and saw the hair products & hair fattner - i too would like to know if anyone uses/has used these products?

2. chicagotosf

chicagotosf Guest

I've been using Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner, since I've heard that tea tree oil and some others are good for hair regrowth. I've been using it for about 2 weeks and can't say that I've seen too much of a difference yet.

3. anora

anora Guest

Garnier is the best shampoo...

4. Bri

Bri Guest

I used a Garnier shampoo and conditioner once and it has been sitting under my sink ever since. It was so heavy, it really weighed my hair down - and this was before I was losing hair! I'm glad it has worked for you, but for me I came out with limp, heavy hair that didn't feel as though I had washed it or rinsed all the conditioner out properly.

If you're looking at some of the cheaper drugstore brands, I actually like the Aussie shampoo and conditioner. It smells nice, I always felt clean, and my hair never felt heavy.

5. Zany

Zany Guest

I've been using Revita shampoo for a little over a year now. I constantly get complemented on my hair being shiny. Oftentimes, I'll get asked what kind of shampoo I use.

Its supposed to make your hair grow and block DHT. I think it must be a popular product because its always out of stock when I try to go pick it up and I have to wait for the next order.

The only bad thing is that is it quite costly. :( $30 a bottle. Luckily for me, I'm able to make the bottle last 2 months because I have short hair.

6. SabrinaLouise

SabrinaLouise Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Zany - I just stopped using Revita after 8 weeks. I found I was losing a lot more hair on it. What was your experience regarding shedding on it?

7. Zany

Zany Guest

Hi Sabrina Louise, with my shedding its like this. About 3 years ago I started having these odd "seasonal type sheds" which began in the summer and last until about 3 month into the early fall. Since I've used the Revita shampoo nothing has changed with the shedding, except that it started one month later then usual this summer. I'm still losing, gosh, I never count because I would just get worked up about it, but I would guess at least 60 hairs per wash. But that is only during my "seasonal shed." The rest of the year when I use the Revita I don't have a problem, I rarely lose any hair while washing. As a matter of fact, I think the shampoo may make my hair grow better, but I can't confirm that for sure. So even though I'm losing hair at least I'm still having regrowth.

8. SabrinaLouise

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for getting back to me Zany. That's interesting about your seasonal sheds and that it started one month later this year--I wish that was the case for me-- I shed all year round. I'm still thinking about whether or not I want to continue with Revita. Maybe I'll just use it 3 times or week or something instead of the 5 days on and two off-more like how it is suggested to use Nizoral. I'm back to using folligen twice a day followed by emu oil and I had a pretty heavy shed this morning--I really lathered up on the emu last night and I am supposing that's what caused such a horrific shed this morning. I didn't count--like you, if I am losing wads, I don't count because I will get upset about it. I'll start counting again when my shed has lessened I'm sure.

9. Jaycee

Jaycee Guest

I am using Boot's Organics Baby shampoo (SLS free) and my scalp feels so much less itchy than when I shampoo with an SLS mild shampoo (Simple). I'm also using Nizoral 5% every 3rd wash.

10. manitoba 42

manitoba 42 Guest

Hi Zany and Sabrina Louise,

I also use the Revita Shampoo. I had tried J.A.S.O.N. tea tree shampoo and hated the smell also didn't do anything to reduce the shed.
    I also tried Nizoral and yes it did help with the itching but not much else.
    I have been using the Revita Shampoo since around Dec. Yes, it is expensive. I can make it last between one and 2 months now that I am not washing 2x a day. Every time I try and different shampoo my head itches.
    There have been times my shed is way down which I am sure is due to the Revita as for years I had a huge amount of shedding and now it is way less.
    Everyones skin type is different as we all know. I also found online where you can buy it in 1 litre size which is far more economical.

Hope you find something that works for you.
    D.

11. SabrinaLouise

Dislikes Received:
    Hey manitoba - thank you for your input on Revita. I have shelved mine for the time being and am using Organic Excellence. I chose it because it has no foaming agents and I was thinking that I could really be doing some damage to my follicles with all the harsh ingredients and daily washing. Just for fun, the ingredients are:

Shampoo:

Purified water, olive oil (and) coconut oil (and) potassium lactate, vegetable glycerin, peppermint oil, fennel extract, hops extract, balm mint extract, olive leaf extract, ginger extract, misteltoe extract, allantonin (comfrey root), citric acid, niacin (Vitamin B3), lemon grass oil; burdock root extract; sage extract; rosemary extract; grape seed extract.

My shed is actually now better than it was prior to using this (the Revita), but I am still shedding. The shampoo claims it prevents hair loss....while stimulating healthy growth--we shall see. I really like how it cleans yet it does not strip and I am the fine hair/oily type. I just bought the conditioner today to see how I do on that b/c right now I am just using a leave in and I want to see if the conditioner is light enough to use without weighing my hair down and also to stimulate my scalp/provide nourishment to the follicles (if that is really possible via shampoo/conditioner, I don't know). The ingredients in the conditioner:

Purified water, vegetable glycerin, olive oil, spearmint oil, panthenol (Vitamin B5), Vitamin E (tocopherol), Olive leaf extract, ginger extract, chamomile extract, comfrey root extract, rosemary extract, grape seed extract.

As I said somewhere else on this site in another thread, I think I'm going to take all my shampoos that contain foaming agents and use them to clean the bathtub and toilet, etc. I really have been wondering lately exactly how much damage some of these shampoos can actually do to your hair follicles, you know? All that foam/stripping....

12. hope4hair

hope4hair Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Bri-
    The Toppik hair fattener is great... it is a clear gel and you only need a little bit.

Jaycee-
    Where did you find 5% Nizoral?

I love using the Nexxus products, especially the diametress and the pro-mend.

I also alternate every two days with Nizoral.

13. MuttLover

MuttLover Guest

I use the Bosley Revive for color-treated hair. It's supposed to have DHT blockers in it. My hair does feel thicker (I also use the thickening treatment and the follicle energizer) but I can't really tell if it looks much different.

14. debbilou

debbilou Guest

has anyone used the "nutreve" line of products? They have shampoos and conditioners both. They seem to be pretty popular and have some good reviews from customers, anyone here used them before?

15. lemongrass

lemongrass Guest

Oh no, that's disappointing. I found a cheap place to get Revita and I was looking forward to trying it sometime. But I don't know about the citric acid and lemongrass oil, I think I will find them mildly irritating.

16. SabrinaLouise

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, it was disappointing - my hair just kept coming out with and it, but to be fair, my hair is still coming out of my head, just not as much now.

17. SabrinaLouise

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Bradley03--I've used so many shampoos and suggested different ones at different times in this thread. At times I've insisted on not using any shampoo with sodium laureth sulfate but now I don't really care either way b/c I know that SLS doesn't make my hair fall out any faster than shampoos that don't have it. What you really want to look for in a shampoo is that it is ph balanced. Many shampoos that you buy at your local drugstore are not ph balanced and tend to be too alkaline, which causes hair to be too dry and fly away and swings the balance of your scalp to alkaline which can be bad if you have any yeast or bacterial issues on your scalp (yeast especially thrives in alkaline environment)--also if you strip your scalp with an alkaline shampoo and already have an oil well up there, it will just get worse! I found that to be true with both my face and hair. You need some moisture or your oil glads will work overtime trying to correct the problem. Another thing I am conscious of is to not buy any shampoo that has been tested on animals! I will not give my money to companies that put the shampoo in animals eyes to see how they react! So I scrutinize the bottle to make sure that there was no animal testing involved.

My hair is pretty thin and looks dirty the next morning unless I have used dry shampoo the day before--which I usually do now--I use brown colored Bumble and Bumble Hair Power as a concealer and volumizer. Recently a friend gave my Joico's Clinicure trial pack--it has the shampoo i.e., "purifying scalp cleanse," the conditioner "balancing scalp nourish" and a topical "advanced thinning rescue." I love the shampoo. It's gentle but effective and the nourish is ok (as I said I don't like conditioning in the shower) and I haven't tried the rescue topical since I am using both minoxidil and folligen, but maybe today I'll give it a go.

Ok, so here I've gone on about ph balance and I don't see those words on the shampoo that I have suggested. I used to use Joico regular shampoo a long time ago, and it always said it was ph balanced so I suspect that the clinicure is ph balanced as well.

18. nuvaringgal

nuvaringgal Guest

I am using Bumble and Bumble Thickening shampoo and conditioner along with their thickening spray. The combination does seem to make my hair appear thicker. I also conceal my scalp with their white hair powder.

I've also tried the Living Proof Products and while they possibly thicken the hair, they tend to make my hair more limp. I have very fine, light blonde hair. I also notice a coated-like feel to the hair especially after using the thickening cream.

Nizoral seems to make my hair shed faster, so I quit using that even though I liked the texture it gave me.

19. I've been using Nioxin for a couple weeks now... I haven't noticed much of a difference, but then again, I JUST started 5% Topical Minoxidil, and that supposedly causes a shed in the beginning.
    I do love the way it makes my scalp feel, though (tingly :jump: ).

I'm mainly on the search for a more AFFORDABLE organic hair loss shampoo. Nioxin is WAY too expensive... :/ I'm just a poor college student, for Christ's sake.

- losing hair is expensive in GENERAL, as I'm sure you ladies have already figured out.

So, how about some affordable SLS-free ones? I am considering trying the Giovanni Tea Tree line at Whole Foods since my friend works there and can get me a discount (the price doesn't seem too bad to begin with). Any more reviews on that one? Or suggestions on another?

20. 16founder

16founder Guest

I have tested a lot of shampoos which are from the different brands.
    I learned that the shampoos contain some harmful ingredients such as sulfate, alcohol and dye. I would like to make my hair grown faster. Those ingredients effect my hair worse. I found Argan Rain products in arganrain.net. I read some comments about it. The Argan Rain with argan oil is sulfate free. Argan oil has lots of effects on hair remedy nd growth. You could search it