Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

What is the consensus on Nioxin shampoos and conditioners?

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by Blahblahblah, May 29, 2014.

1. Blahblahblah

Blahblahblah New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am not expecting miracles obviously but as I am still relying on my crappy bio hair with lots of toppik, I want to maximize that as much as possible. I have yet to find something in terms of shampoo and conditioner that I like. If not Nioxin, any other suggestions for Androgenetic Alopecia hair?

2. maggiedav

maggiedav New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Nioxin

I know this is an old post, but maybe you're still checking in. I use nioxin & don't notice any difference. I started about a year ago & used one for colored hair and about 6 months ago bought a bottle for thinning hair. I won't buy it again once I'm done with it. I haven't noticed any difference with it. Hope you found something that worked for you!

Meghan

3. sunlit

sunlit Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    My mother, who has Androgenetic Alopecia-esque thinning hair, has been using it for a few years and loves it. Within a couple of months of starting to use it, everyone noticed her hair looked fuller and smoother and complimented her on it. Before it was very flyaway and flat - it doesn't look like that any more since she started using nioxin (though her hair has continued thinning on top, and she sheds a lot). She claims that Nioxin even made some new hair grow, but I really take that with a pinch of salt. I do think it lives up to its claims of making hair LOOK thicker, though.

I've been using nioxin at her recommendation since my shed started a couple of months ago. It's okay as a shampoo but I don't think it'll do any miracles for hair loss (as you say). I use system 4 for noticeably thinning colour-treated hair. I dont think it makes any difference to how much hair I'm losing, no difference in shedding whatsoever, but it makes my hair look better when it's freshly washed. Nioxin seems to make the roots of your hair 'stand up' a little, which does something to hide a wide parting. My criticism of it is that it's pretty harsh and drying. I leave deep conditioner on my hair overnight sometimes to try to fight against that, but honestly it doesn't make a huge amount of difference. My hair used to be very shiny and it's lost that, but on the upside, it doesn't seem to get so greasy on non-wash days any more.

4. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I agree - may fluff up biomhair but doesn't stop loss.

5. Furious_Rose

Furious_Rose New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using Nioxin religiously for almost two years (I am very patient!) but I have not noticed any signs of hair growth. I am still losing a ton of hair every time I wash my hair. I also use their conditioner and scalp treatment, so it's not like I didn't give them a decent chance. I don't recommend this brand, obviously!