Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

What is your daily shed? I've forgotten what "normal" is...

Discussion in 'Living with Androgenetic Alopecia' started by nola, Jul 28, 2012.

1. raven-haired

raven-haired Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've just recently started to count my hair sheds, only on wash days however. I was averaging 75, but today it was only 50. I'm using the laser comb and taking biotin and a maternal vitamin. I'm hoping that this is a good sign and will continue to provide updates.

sarvnaz123 - are you finding that the Rogaine is helping with regrowth despite the seasonal shedding?

2. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Are you seeing any growth with the laser comb Raven?

3. sarvnaz123

sarvnaz123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Rogaine Shed

Raven,
    Yes, the Rogaine is definitely helping me out with regrowth. My hair looks so much thicker than it did 6 months ago (been using it almost 7 months). I would say I have at least 15% more hair. I just wish I could control the loss.
    75 hair on wash days is awsome. I used to lose that much on wash days end of Feb/early March, but now I would say it is more around 120 on wash days (I don't count anymore, but guessing). On none wash days I count and it is about 50. We live in colorado and I have realized since moving here that my shed is usually worst from Late June to Mid Sept (summer) then it slows down for a few months and it goes up in Late Nov till early Feb (not as bad as summer though), then it slows down until June again. I am wondering if it is the season and length of days/nights. When I lived in Florida, I never noticed this change.

I used to always be a shedder... even before hairloss. It was typical to find hair in the shower and on my bathroom floor and every day when I would comb, I had to clean my sink, but I never cared. I am wondering if what I shed right now is normal it is just that I notice it more.
    I can post some before and after pictures of my improvement with Rogaine if you like?

Anna Butcher likes this.
  4. raven-haired

raven-haired Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've only started using the comb - for about 2 weeks now, so nothing to report so far! I'm hopeful however and will definitely provide an update in a couple of months.

- - - Updated - - -

sarvnaz123 - yes please to the photos!

5. sarvnaz123

Dislikes Received:
    Raven,
    Here is a before pic image (9).jpg
    HEre is after 6.5 month of rogiane use. The same room, lighting, and hair style, length, etc (even same clothes :)) image (12).jpg
    Here is another pick of my part now. This is right after the shower in the bright bathroom light.
    image (17).jpg
    you can see how my part is tighter compare to the first pic, and in the first pic my hair was dry, if it was wet, it would look much worst. Unfortunately, I don't have a before pic with wet hair for a precise comparison.
    But overall, I would say I have around 15-20% improvement in the regrowth. I am hoping for another 5-10% improvement by the one year mark which will be in Jan 2016, but I still have shedding so am not sure if I get anymore improvements, but even if I get to keep what Ive gotten so far, I will be happy.

Do you know what is the max improvement you can expect from using Rogaine?

6. mvgirl

mvgirl Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    How often do you use rogaine? 1 or 2x a day?

7. Reek

Reek New Member

Dislikes Received:
    wow that's a great improvement! Are you still washing 3x a week or are you washing more often because of using rogaine?
    also do you have any side effects--namely facial hair growth?

8. Tara101

Tara101 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Shading 100 hair per day is normal amount I would say. But if you find a hair ball on your comb then it's time to worry. Wise thing is to determine the reason of hair loss and take proper precautions to control that hair loss.

9. sarvnaz123

Dislikes Received:
    I use one cap full (more than recommended) once a day.
    I wash my hair every other day because of the rogaine. I have noticed some pleasant and some unpleasant side effects. Pleasant = eye lashed and eye brows are fuller, longer and thicker. Unpleasant = More than usual chin and upper lip hair.

I started getting really regular with Rogaine in January. I was using it every other day, and in late Feb I realized less hair fall. In about end of April, I saw my part was tighter, and hair just felt thicker. I upped my dose to almost every day ( I still take a day off here and there, but not too often). I went through a mild shed in June (more than I was shedding in Feb, but less than before Rogaine), but for the last two weeks, it has really slowed down. I am wondering if the shed was because I upped my dosage in late April or it could have been seasonal who knows. In early May when I would part my hair to put Rogaine in, I would see hundreds of 1/2" hairs sicking out. I am still seeing regrowth like that when I part, but not as much as I was seeing in May.

I have always been a shedder, and I always had fine thin hair. I would say before Rogaine, I was losing at least 150/day on wash and 70 on none wash. It has gone (for the past two weeks) down to a little over 100 on wash and 40 on none wash. But I think it is the regrowth that is helping me the most. I am thinking I must be regrowing ALOT that I am seeing improvements since my shed is still considerbly high.

10. fujikochan

fujikochan New Member

Dislikes Received:
    My shed has literally gone crazy lately. I normally shed 100 or so but, BOOM, I'm suddenly shedding 300 a day now. I'm freaking out internally, but I just hope that it's because I upped the strength of my minoxidil about a month ago (from 2% to 5% 2x a day), losing over 30lbs, AND because my father was hospitalized for a serious injury--NOT because my Androgenetic Alopecia has decided to advance. Of course, I'd have to up my Minoxidil dose right before the injury occurred! This wouldn't be the first time I've had a TE episode because of physical and emotional stress, but I didn't fully recover from the last one!

11. sarvnaz123

Dislikes Received:
    Update,
    So it has been 6 months since my last post above and I wanted to give you all an update. for the past 6 months, my shed is to the point where I consider it normal. On average about 70 hair a day. I haven't experienced any major increase in shedding and my hair continues to get thicker. However, I think I have probably maxed out on the improvements I would get from Rogaine and at this point (1 year of use) I am probably just maintaining, but I am stoked with the results.

Anna Butcher likes this.
  12. April_moon

April_moon Member

Dislikes Received:
    i agree, if its not growing back that is an issue, my hair isnt growing at all...it stopped and my shedding is smaller than a golf ball but its thinning and im losing hair..is it possible for hair to grow back.