Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

What I've learned and questions that remain

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Scorpi08, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Scorpi08

Scorpi08 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Okay, so I've been researching like crazy and thinking too much. I think I'm going to lay off the intensive googling until my appointment with a new dermatologist on 8/10. I've got to leave room in my life for other things and not let this hair loss take over. Researching gives me a sense of control, but I know this is a marathon and not a sprint...so I need balance.

My plan is to keep exploring the ferritin connection, though I have my doubts this will be my cure all. My first dermatologist saw miniaturization of the follicles and my Mom had thinning hair when she passed at age 57. I'm most likely battling Androgenetic Alopecia but I'll keep my hopes up.

I know I want to exhaust all natural remedies before turning to Rogaine or oral prescription meds. I'll get extensive bloodwork and work with my iron and hormones. I'll also try PRP as soon as possible. I don't want to waste too much time, as I've learned it's best to treat early...but if I can find something else that works, that's what I want. I can't do much until I decide on the pregnancy thing anyway (which needs to be soon!)

My biggest concern is how a second pregnancy will affect my hair loss. My first pregnancy triggered it. I got the typical postpartum TE, and decent regrowth from that, but also loss of density and increased frontal thinning. I've seen lots of women post about this with few responses...but I would LOVE IT if anyone can give me any insight into this. I need to decide if we're going to try for another child and, unfortunately, my hair loss is a factor. I'm terrified that it will accelerate my hair loss to the point of no return. I just don't know if it's worth it, especially with adoption begin an option.

I know this is going to be a long process of trial and error. I appreciate your support and hope to hear your thoughts about what you've learned as well.

2. Scorpi08

Scorpi08 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody have advice? Having a panicky day :(

3. eggplant

eggplant Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of rx medications can't be taken during pregnancy (finasteride, Spironolactone) so you may be better off with the natural remedies if you're planning for the second child any time soon. If not, then idunno I'm an advocate for bringing out the big guns (rx) over natural stuff.

4. sheeny

sheeny Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey there- my advice is not to let hair loss get in the way of your decision to have another child. Once that time passes in your life you can't get it back, and there's no way of knowing if any drugs or treatment will actually help your hair. My first te came right before I had my first when I came off of bc, got preg immediately, had a pp shed & then recovered pretty well. After I had my second, had a pp shed & recovered. This current mess I'm in didn't begin until my second was a year old. Triggered by hormones, but I'm not sure if it was the pregnancies or just something that was going to happen anyhow.

MouseGraft likes this.