Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

what my psychologist said about hair loss

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by labellavita1985, Aug 30, 2015.

1. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, just saw my therapist, and wanted to share with everybody what she said about hair loss.

She's not an MD, but she does have a Ph.D., and is just a very bright/informed person in general. She also did her dissertation on women's hormones and their impact on emotions while working for an ob/gyn, so she knows a lot about hormones, dysfunction, imbalances, etc.

She told me to get my T3, T4, and reverse T3 tested, even though I've already had my TSH and T4 tested once without any indication of dysfunction. She says that doctors are very quick to dismiss possible thyroid issues, and for anyone experiencing hair loss, a complete and thorough thyroid screen should be done.

In her case, she suffered hair loss due to high reverse T3, which didn't become apparent because initially only TSH was tested. She basically said in range TSH doesn't rule out thyroid dysfunction; it's only a measure of one hormone, and there are others that should be screened.

Once she addressed the problem with thyroid medication, her hair grew back. She's got the thickest hair for someone of her age.

I'm going to make sure my GP orders a full thyroid panel this week.

She also said that she had bad experiences with dermatologists when she went through her hair loss episode. She said that a GP will be more likely to order the proper tests.

TinaM1968 likes this.
  2. Sakura

Sakura Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    hi :)
    i agree with your doctor that doctors dismiss to quickly thyroid problems with an incomplete test. i had my thyroid checked ( i think just the tsh and t4) in december and everything seemed to be ok, but i went to an endo and he ordered full thyroid profile and ding ding ding! i have hashimoto's!

3. fleur1979

fleur1979 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think it is really cool that the therapist looked more medical. Most of the time everything is blamed on stress while it is not stress related in many cases. I had the most beautiful hair in the years where I had most stress.

4. JKSZ

JKSZ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, Sakura! I've been wondering how you're doing since your diagnosis and hoping your hair loss has been resolved. :)

5. Sakura

Sakura Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for asking JKSZ i've been meaning to give an update but i've been really busy these days! i'm doing a lot better! i've been taking eutirox 25 mg since last month and i see a lot less shedding. it only comes out when i brush it after a shower but just very few strands ( nothing lik before) my hair is still thinner and my ponytail is small but i have less white scalp showing :rolleyes: and my bangs seem to be ticker too, i guess we'll see how it goes!
    i cut my hair in a long bob and my boss who is the kind of man who doesn't notice anything told me how can i go around with my hair down when i have so much and of course that made me really happy xD but i'm sure it's just the haircut that makes it look less thin!

6. JKSZ

JKSZ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure your hair will continue to thicken up--but thank God your shedding has gone down. That's a huge step in the right direction. Thanks for the update. :eek:

7. Eliza1990

Eliza1990 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for posting this, Emma. I had my TSH tested back in Feb and also a few other thyroid / hormone panels (my results below) and did my best to research each panel to confirm my numbers weren't abnormal, but I honestly have no idea how to interpret them (or if I got all the necessary tests)... any thoughts?

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: tableCell, width: 215, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]THYROGLOB AB[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="class: tableCell, width: 215, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]<20.0[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="class: tableCell, width: 215, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]0-40.0 IU/mL[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: tableCell, width: 215, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]ANTI TPO AB[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="class: tableCell, width: 215, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]<10.0[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="class: tableCell, width: 215, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]0-35.0 IU/mL[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: tableCell, width: 215, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]Follicle Stim. Hormone[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="class: tableCell, width: 215, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]<0.5[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="class: tableCell, width: 215, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"] mIU/mL[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: tableCell, width: 215, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]Thyroid Stim. Hormone[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="class: tableCell, width: 215, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]1.08[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="class: tableCell, width: 215, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]0.55-4.78 mIU/mL[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: tableCell, width: 215, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]DHEA-SO4[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="class: tableCell, width: 215, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]218.0[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="class: tableCell, width: 215, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]35.0-430.0 ug/dL[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: tableCell, width: 215, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]Luteinizing Hormone[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="class: tableCell, width: 215, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]<0.07[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="class: tableCell, width: 215, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"] mIU/mL[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

8. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Well your DHEA-S is a really good number, according to my therapist as mine is 266.2 and she said that's really good, and that sounds about right since the mid-200's are in the middle of the range (my lab has the range listed as 26-430 ug/dL.)

TSH also looks good. I'm going to make a thread about TSH so stay tuned for that.

I'm really sorry I can't be of more help.

I'm wondering who ordered these tests for you. Was it just your PCP? I want to get a thorough thyroid/hormone panel done, and have made an appointment with an endo for Oct 8.

I forgot to ask you, have you heard of a minoxidil product called Lipogaine?

It's on Amazon and it's got really good reviews; it combines other active ingredients like azelaic acid to maximize absorption.

9. Eliza1990

Eliza1990 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks so much for the feedback, Emma. The doctor who ordered the tests was a dermatologist (fairly knowledgeable about hair loss). Unfort he was not very friendly and since the blood work came back after my appointment with him and he refused to see me again for at least six months, I haven't been back to see him.

I hadn't heard of Lipogaine! Thanks for the suggestion. If I could rewind I'd probably have tried that instead of Rogaine, given my unfortunate experience thus far. I will probably continue using the Rogaine for another couple months, and if I get to a point where others agree I've given it a long enough go, maybe I'll switch to Lipogaine and see if it works any better.

10. justme

justme Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I take Armor after having half of my thyroid removed ( cancer ) My last TSH was 6.55 so my meds were upped now I wait till Oct to see what is next . My hair is not great but better than a year or so ago , it is growing some what better . I also take 50,000 mg of vit D3 Monday,Wed & Friday , mine was super low . I am beyond tired and never feel good so I am guessing I am not getting the right dose as of yet .. just so frustrating. I was told a few years ago my #'s were fine lol , NOT. Don't let them ignore how you feel. Get some one to listen to you .. Good luck