Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

what other PCOS symptoms do you have?

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by mjh, Apr 25, 2008.

1. mjh

mjh Guest

I thought this might be interesting since PCOS is so different in every woman.

I have:
    Hair loss (of course)
    Light acne
    Body hair
    Inflamed ingrown hairs on my legs (I hate this so much)
    A little weight gain but it's mostly on my butt.

2. catfancy

catfancy Guest

I have (in addition to hair loss):

acne (bad...though not as bad as it used to be...was on Accutane 10 years ago)
    weight gain
    insulin resistance
    acanthosis nigricans (dark patches on neck)
    I had to have an ovary removed because one my cysts grew to the size of a canteloupe, so now I have problems from that.

I also have Hashimoto's, which is strongly linked to PCOS.

3. kaylee

kaylee Guest

I have:

Hair growth on face and small amount on stomach (first symptoms to appear)
    irregular periods
    And worst of all hair loss!! :dunno:

4. prizepoet

prizepoet Guest

I have:
    Hair loss
    weight gain
    acne (rosacea)
    Insuline resistance
    heavy periods
    facial hair

5. angieangie

angieangie Guest

Hair loss
    Pimples
    Extra body hair
    Weight gain (99% it's from Yasmin and not PCOS)
    Craving sweets
    Irritability and anxiety
    And... pain during intercourse... hense, my virginity!

6. Rainbird984

Rainbird984 Guest

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post, but I have PCOS, so I thought this would be a good place to start!

I have:

Thinning hair
    Increased body hair / blonde face peachfuzz
    Major cravings for sweets
    "Apple-shaped" weight gain

My periods are OK; hair loss /body hair are my main symptoms, probably because my testosterone levels are pretty normal but my DHT (dihydrotestosterone, the kind that affects hair) levels are through the roof. The dr.'s have no idea why!

It's so nice to have found a place where I can talk with people going through the same thing! :)

7. catfancy

catfancy Guest

Oh yeah, I also get pretty bad cravings for sweets. I need to cut out sugar from my diet again. I find that if I go without it a long time, I crave it less.

Strangely, I've never had irregular periods, even before (and even after) I lost my bad ovary. Now, if only I could make my premature hot flashes go away...

8. sadlady

sadlady Guest

Hiy!
    Im no diagnosed with PCO, but i have several of the symptoms you have when you have PCO, like hairloss (of course, its diagnosed as Androgenetic Alopecia but its diffuse all over), acne (better now, but i have had severe problems with acne at the age of 34!), very heavy periods, increased body hair (face only, blonde peachfuzz), really bad PMS (dont know if thats a symptom of PCO?)... Ive also had problems with cysts (had to have surgery). I have no cysts right now, but ive had problems in the past.

What do you do to check if you have PCO? Is there any blodtests i should get done? Should i see an endo, or gyn, or both? Please let me know, so i can have this properly checked out. I do think i have Androgenetic Alopecia, but its very rapid, so i think there has to be some kind of underlying problem. I did have my hormones tested, but maybe they missed testing something? What kind of hormones should i ask them to test? Lots of questions....

Oh - i almost forgot to ask: do any of you shed more hair during youre period, and can that be a sign of PCO? I shed so much more hair during my periods that its ridicolous....

9. angieangie

angieangie Guest

I think shedding more on your period is normal for anyone, whether you have PCOS or not. When you get your period there is a drop in estrogen, so you shed hair temporarily. Also, for some women a period will cause iron deficiency which can also cause hair loss.

10. sadlady

sadlady Guest

OK - thank you Angie, that might explain why my shed has gone crazy the last few days. I do however think that my hair loss has got something to do with my hormones, and i think i will go to an endo to check my levels (ive had acne and several other symptoms that indicates that my hormones are going whack). I read somewhere that seborric dermatitis is a common problem associated with Androgenetic Alopecia, and ive got seb derm really bad right now (ive had it for a long time, but never as bad as its been since my hairloss started). Ive started using cortisone again, my doctor said i have to treat seb.derm, since its not good for the hair/scalp - and he recommended cortisone. So Ok, i will use it in the placeswhere its really bad. Strangely enough, its not in the places where i use rogaine (which im thankful for, it would be horrible to realize that im allergic to rogaine after going through so much of the dreadshed! I cannot discontinue using it now).

11. alicat

alicat Guest

sadlady

i would see an endo personally. i just feel they have such a great knowledge of hormones and are better experienced with PCOS. just my opinion!

12. alicat

alicat Guest

I have:

Excess facial hair (getting it treated with laser! woo!)
    Hair loss
    Irregular periods (regulated by Diane 35)
    Weight gain
    Difficulty losing weight
    A few small skin tags
    Depression (under control with Effexor XR)
    Slightly high cholesterol

13. mjh

mjh Guest

Hey alicat, I had some laser treatment done on my legs, arms and underarms and it helped soooo much! I was supposed to get treatment for a year but only got six months because we moved but it still made a lot of difference.

14. alicat

alicat Guest

isn't it wonderful??? i have so much more confidence about my face now!!! i used to have a lot of facial hair (had to shave everyday). i hated when my hubby touched me, and now i'm sooooooooooo smooth and i've only had 4 treatments so far. i have 3 more and then i'm done. i am so glad i have pale skin and dark hair!!!

i am thinking of doing my underarms next!

15. kaylee

kaylee Guest

How much do you think it would cost for sides of face and under chin?? Im seriously condsidering it!!!

16. GoodYear

GoodYear Guest

Oh, that sounds great!! Good for you Ali!

17. mjh

mjh Guest

A rough estimate I think is about $300. Look out for specials though, sometimes you can get very good deals.

18. alicat

alicat Guest

April

I'm sure your city has places that do laser and have a website? I went to Epiderma here in my city, and they have prices listed on their website. Could you type in where you live PLUS laser hair removal?

I am sooooooooooo happy with the results. I feel my chin/neck is just like it was when I was a little girl :)

19. Rainbird984

Rainbird984 Guest

Also, if your facial hair isn't dark enough for laser (that's how mine is, getting annoyingly thicker and longer but still blonde) I've been getting great results with that No!No! hair-removal thing from Sephora. It's kind of annoying to use and it smells like burning hair, but I've definitely seen a reduction in my facial hair since I've started using it. It's saved me hundreds on what would have been electrolysis bills.

I think laser's definitely better if your hair is dark enough, but if not, it's a good option.

20. kaylee

kaylee Guest

I may try it. The hair is way less noticble than it used to be..but still a little prickily if you touch it..eww :thumbsdown: