Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

what other PCOS symptoms do you have?

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by mjh, Apr 25, 2008.

1. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Oh its def dark and thick enough for laser! But thats how mine started, the light hairs started getting dark and then thick. It took years but it eventually got pretty bad!!

2. Rainbird984

Rainbird984 Guest

Well at least the positive thing about it being dark is that laser should work beautifully! Mine is totally on that same progression towards getting dark, I actually bought a laser package for my face during this 40%-off anniversary promotion that the laser place near me was doing, so I'll have it ready!

If you find a place near you that sounds reputable, ask them if they have any promotions coming up before you book. I've seen deals like that advertised at a lot of places at different parts of the year, they really help with the cost!

3. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Rainbird, So Im taking it you have PCOS too?? What sort of meds are you on (if any) for the hair loss?

4. angieangie

angieangie Guest

I only have hair on my upper lip, so I just wax it or use Nair. I found one on my chin a few weeks ago though.

5. Rainbird984

Rainbird984 Guest

April,
    I'm on Spironolactone 100mg 2x/day, I haven't noticed any regrowth yet really but I do seem to be shedding less, which i'm excited about!

I also tried Proscar (finasteride) for about a year, it didn't seem to help much and was really expensive, so I quit.

I'm thinking i might look into flutamide at my next endocrinologist appt. if the Spironolactone doesn't give me good results, although the side effects from that kinda scare me...

I peeked at your regimen and saw you take Biotin, has that been working out well for you? I was thinking of adding it.

6. alicat

alicat Guest

oh yeah april...laser works wonderfully on light skin and dark hair!! it's also not good if you tan.

7. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Rainbird, so you take 200mg of Spironolactone per day?? Im on 100mg/day but heard 200mg is better! But my endo said it wouldnt help any better though which I thought was wierd. I want to take flutamide to...but I heard its hard to find a Dr. to RX it. Yes I take biotin. I cant really tell if its doing anything since I started it way after the Spironolactone.

8. dying curls

dying curls Guest

You can evince pcos symptoms wether you have pcos or not...so it's tricky..You might have a bit of cholestrol without pcos..or not cholesterol and pcos...but if you have several symptoms then..it's a sign

in order of appearance:
    My first symptoms is hair loss
    2nd very mild almost unoticeable AN that became HUGE at my worst moment.
    Feeling tired all the time especially after meal (more a symptoms of the insulin resistance that cause my pcos.)
    then facial hair and ultimately body blond fuzz tha began to get darker.
    Faint from insuline issues i guess or something. Feeling bloated sometimes.
    At 23 i started to have heavier period, still regula but definitely heavier.this caused aenemia eventually.
    It was the pick of my pcos that was also marked by a rush of acne under my ears that disappeared (i think it was a kind of rebound effect after the stopping the pill from my hormones..Certainly my hormones did not get better but they went down a little after a couple of month and the acne started to disappear..as if the hormones stabilized themselves in their craziness. Acne is the very last symptoms for me.)

with my treatment i dont get any of those...so i guess that is cool...however my hair has not grown back.

9. Rainbird984

Rainbird984 Guest

Hey April,
    I started the 200mg of Spironolactone a few months ago; I had tried 100 mg for about a year back in 2005, and then stopped because it wasn't working for me. The 200mg dose actually came about b/c I asked my dr. about wanting to try flutamide - she said to try Spironolactone again at a higher dose first, and then if that doesn't work she'll consider giving me flutamide. The 200 mg seems to have helped the shed, but I'm still thinning at a rate that worries me so I might try the flutamide route when I go back in June... I'll have to look around a bit on here and see how ppl have liked it.

Although if the 100mg of Spironolactone is working well for you I'd probably stick with it, the 200mg makes me have to pee way too often, lol

10. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Oh great Im already peeing 20x a day on the 100mg! Just to let you know...Spironolactone takes 6 months to stop the hair loss completely. You said you've only been on it a few months so I wouldnt worry just yet! Whos your Dr.!?? Mine wouldnt even let me try 200mg Spironolactone! I still lose hair although its ALOT less than before, so maybe going up on the dose would help better. Also, is high levels of testosterone causing your hair loss?? If so, how high was it?

11. Rainbird984

Rainbird984 Guest

Thanks, I tend to get impatient so it's good to know about the 6 months thing! :)

My doctor is Dr. Paula Amato at Oregon Health & Science University in Portland, PCOS is one of her specialty areas. I like her a lot since she's receptive to what I want to try in terms of hair loss - which is good because I cope with the stress of hairloss by compulsively researching different treatments, lol.

The website for her practice is http://www.fertilityoregon.com/clinic/index.htm

My hair loss isn't from high regular testosterone (my total testosterone has always been in the 20's) but actually from really high levels of dihydrotestoterone (DHT). My DHT levels are ridiculously high for a woman, they have no idea why they're so high while my total testosterone is normal. *sigh* I'm their little medical mystery i guess.

12. kaylee

kaylee Guest

I want your Dr.! Mine is VERY unreceptive in what I want to try in terms of hair loss. Currently looking for a new one but Oregon is kinda far. Hmmm..my testosterone was high, I have no idea what my DHT levels are, that makes me curious.

13. Rainbird984

Rainbird984 Guest

Well i'm moving to the Bay Area at the end of summer, so if i find a good doctor in Northern California I'll let you know! :)

14. kaylee

kaylee Guest