Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

What Shampoo do you use for Seb Derm/Dandruff/Psoriasis?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by loandmo, Apr 15, 2015.

1. loandmo

loandmo Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks in advance...

I am looking at the Redken brand...but curious what everyone else uses and how you like it....

2. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't really used much along the lines of shampoos for my SD, I'm sure someone else can chime in on this one, but the number one go-to seems to be OTC nizoral 1% or prescription strength 2%. Another thing is essential oils, such as tea tree, eucalyptus, and peppermint that I've found that helped with my inflammation before venturing off to my derm and using a steroid foam. Tea tree I found the best to help with flaking and itchiness. While I'm not overly fond of 2% nizoral because of how drying it can be, it does the job for me.

3. Noalani

Noalani Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    You can take a look at DHS Zinc Shampoo with Pyrithione Zinc 2%. It's therapeutic and says it controls symptoms of dandruff and sebhorrheic dermatitis on the bottle. I found it on Amazon. It was recommended by Dr. Panagotacos, who is a derm in San Francisco, with hair loss as his specialty. I don't use it all the time, but I throw it in my weekly round of different shampoos.

4. sasamat

sasamat New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Below is my routine. I vary the shampoos I use because there is evidence to suggest that your scalp can build up a resistance to active ingredients over time. My scalp loves Nizoral but my hair does not. I've lived with SD to varying degrees all my life, but it has really flared up in the last six months, which is around when my hair first started falling out.

Day 1: Nizoral 2% (available OTC in Canada). First I coat the mid-lengths and ends of my hair with conditioner to protect it, because Nizoral contains sodium laureth sulfate (SLS) and is very harsh on hair. Then I rub in Nizoral into the scalp and let it set for 5 minutes. I rinse out and condition with TresSemme Naturals or DevaCurl One Condition.

Day 2: Giovanni Triple Treat Tea Tree Oil shampoo and conditioner. Tea Tree Oil is a natural anti-fungal and can also reduce inflammation. I leave the shampoo on for three minutes and then leave the conditioner on for three minutes.

Day 3: Selsun Blue shampoo. I do the same routine as I do with Nizoral, because this shampoo is also harsh.

Day 4: Nizoral 2%

Day 5: No shampoo

Day 6: Three hour honey mask on my scalp (it helps with the itching), followed by Tea Tree Oil shampoo & conditioner

Day 7: No shampoo; apple cider vinegar rinse (normalizes hair pH levels and is a great clarifier and conditioner)

For me personally, shampoos containing pyrithione zinc (such as Head & Shoulders), don't work for me; they just make my scalp itchy. I've never tried coal tar shampoos. They can be very effective for some people, especially those with psoriasis, but they do smell and coal tar is a carcinogen, although there is not enough evidence to suggest that it affects humans at the dosage found in shampoos.

5. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    coal tar helped me some at first but nothing seems to last. Is this only on your scalp? I think I have both P and SD but hard to say. Back area is usually white flaky and front is more yellow waxy.

6. DarkWitch1111

DarkWitch1111 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I just shaved what was remaining of my hair off and although I;d previously washed it today with an anti dandruff shampoo it's as dry and flaky as ever. It also itches. I also rubbed a lave in conditioner on my head by Tresseme and that seems to have calmed thing down a bit but it really is bad. Anybody without hair use a shampoo on your head? If so what Or if not what else? I can't afford anything expensive. I am way way overspending due to my PTSD (waiting for the DWP to allow me a carer) and not able to keep up so need to cut back. BTW: please don't advise I see my GP: I might have to take the whole surgery to court due to various problems. How often should you wash shaved heads? My scalp is very greasy but its also itchy dry and flaky. MAD. :shakehead:

7. sasamat

sasamat New Member

Dislikes Received:

Most SD treatments, although called "shampoos" are not for your hair; they are for your scalp. Treating SD with a shaved head should be easier in some ways because you don't have a bunch of hair getting in the way, but otherwise the protocols are the same. Can you afford Nizoral, or the generic alternative? For me, this is the gold standard. Otherwise, everything else can be purchased at the grocery store or a natural health food store. You can pick up a bottle of tea tree oil for $10 and add some drops to your existing shampoo. This should last for months. Try to find gentle shampoos without sodium laureth sulfate. Tresemme Naturals and Say Yes to Carrots are good drugstore brands. You can do a honey scalp mask to help calm your scalp. I also recommend an apple cider vinegar rinse once or twice a week. You can also try moisturizing your scalp before bed with coconut oil.

8. Roberta W

Roberta W Guest

Neutogena's T/Gel shampoo is also very good for Psoriasis.

9. fleur1979

fleur1979 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Philip Kingsley shampoo, flaky scalp shampoo.... Only one that works for me... I do however feel it makes my hair more flat (and don't want that with hair loss as I already lost so much volume), but it is probably the conditioner and not the shampoo making my hair flat. My scalp is clean now!

10. DarkWitch1111

DarkWitch1111 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've gone for a cheap one from ASDA (UK Walmart) lol simply because I am very strapped for cash right now it's just a regular anti dandruff shampoo only I am aware (as hairdressers have advised me that anti dandruff shampoo damages the hair so I slap leave in conditioner all over my head. I might try the fancier types when I sort my finances out.