Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

what were your bad results with hair transplant?

Discussion in 'Hair Transplants for Women' started by rainbowdreams, Dec 12, 2009.

1. I am new to this board so I missed all the horror stories with hair transplants. Please let me know why you did not like your hair transplant? I was thinkign of adding hair transplant to my front hairline.

2. angel706

angel706 Guest

I wouldn't really call my experience a horror story, but it certainly didn't keep me out from under supplemental hair in the long run, which is what would have made it a success in my book.

I also had issues with my front hairline...my hairline had receded much like a male pattern, temples were entirely gone and central hairline had receded about half an inch. After quite a bit of research, I decided to go with a transplant surgeon who lived within driving distance of me (I'm in the Midwest, so didn't have as many options close by as if I had lived on the coasts). This was in Feb. 2006, 3 1/2 years ago. I had about 1,500 follicular units transplanted into my hairline...my surgeon decided not to attempt to lower my central hairline. I'm glad he didn't.

Recovery was a major pain in the behind, though physically not all that painful. I took Ibuprofen for pain and they gave me some steroids to help with swelling, and antibiotics to prevent infection. Sleeping was an issue, however. I'm a side sleeper, and didn't want to sleep lying down on my sides for fear of pulling those buggers out over the first several days. Instead, I slept (or tried to) in a recliner for the first 10 days, until I was SURE those transplants were well-seated and not going anywhere. I had to have sleeping pills to get much sleep, and still only got about 4-5 hours a night during that period. Not fun. I like my sleep. :)

After the initial recovery came the shock loss. Even though my surgeon was careful, it's very common for the hair around the transplanted area to "shock out" and then come back. It can take a few to several months, however, before that shocked-out hair starts coming back in. So from about a month after the surgery to about 5-6 months after, I actually looked worse than when I went in. It took lots of Toppik and a very short haircut to make it through that stage.

Growth of the transplanted hairs started at about 3 1/2 months, but didn't really start taking off until about 8 months out, at least for me. Some people experience growth much sooner. And it was about 18 months out before I could truly judge the success or failure of the procedure. The transplanted hair often has an odd texture for the first year or two of growth, as well. My transplanted hair is still not as nice texture-wise as my natural-growing hair near the transplanted area.

I will say that the transplant was a MARGINAL success, in that it kept me out from under supplemental hair for a few more years. I started wearing a topper this past summer, and honestly wish I would have just done that instead in 2006. I could've saved the $3,000 I spent (and trust me, that's a BARGAIN for the amount of units I had transplanted...usually anywhere from $3 to $5 per follicular unit is the going rate) and used it to buy a nice topper instead...or put it toward a nose job.

I think the reason why so many men are ecstatic about their transplants is that for them, a thinning look is completely socially acceptable. It's within their norm. If they get thin coverage where they had none before, that's usually good enough for them.

It's different for women. Our hair, in society's eyes, is our "crowning glory." Thin coverage will not cut it for us. That's what I ended up from my transplant...thin coverage. I'd say I got about 30 hairs per cm2. "Normal" hair density is anywhere from 80 to 120 hairs per cm2. It was enough for me to keep my hair in a short pixie, direct the top hair toward my face to better hide the fading hairline, and get on with life.

Hair transplants do not give you more hair. They just move the existing hair around to better distribute it. Until they figure out a way to clone or multiply hairs and THEN transplant them, I don't think this is a cosmetically viable option for most women. Not when you can get a few GLORIOUS hairpieces made of lovely human hair for the same amount of money.

Think long and hard before you decide whether you want to submit yourself to a surgical procedure like this. Do tons of research. The best resource I found online was http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com. It's mostly populated by guys, but there's lots of information on there for women, too.

Best of luck to you.

3. angel706

angel706 Guest

Forgot to add, the transplant did nothing to halt the further progression of my hair loss. My loss is from Androgenetic Alopecia, and I'm not willing to subject my body to all sorts of chemicals/medications, either topical or taken internally, to try to halt that pattern. It is what it is...kind of hard to fight genetics.

I think that's another reason why this option is less viable for women. Men can take finestaride (sp?) to help halt the progression of their hair loss...women put themselves (or their potential children) at great risk if they decide to do the same.

Again, best of luck to you, no matter what you decide.

4. so-lost

so-lost Guest

Just curious, what was the texture change?

5. angel706

angel706 Guest

I've found that most of the hair that was transplanted has kind of a frizzy, kinked texture, which I know it did not have when it was still living in the back of my head. LOL It's not horrible, but definitely noticeable if I don't attempt to straighten or curl it. I don't know why this is, but I've heard many men talk about this on the hairtransplantnetwork forums. It's supposed to subside after about the first year, but mine never really significantly improved. Perhaps it has something to do with the skill of the technicians who are separating the follicular units, or their skill in implanting them...I really don't know what causes it.

6. so-lost

so-lost Guest

I wonder if this is what hair does when it's stressed? My texture all over has gone from basically straight but with body to kinky, frizzy, curly in the last 1 1/2 years. I don't know if it's from stress (due to losing my hair), minoxidil, or Androgenetic Alopecia. Maybe when folicles are "bothered" this is the result?

I'm sorry this has been your experience with transplants. Thank you, though, for sharing it. I wondered myself if I would end up with thin coverage. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that's good/acceptable for men but not for women.

7. colline

colline Guest

Hi

I just had a fue procedure done and wondered what to expect. From what you say i will have shock loss in a months time then slowly hair may grow back albeit frizzy and will i have less or more then what i started with.

I read also not everyone has shock loss so fingers crossed i dont get lots of shock loss it is bad enough having the procedure from the point of a pyscological perspective.

At least i have tried this was my last attempt and so i can only pray it works.