Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

What's the difference BTW Androgenetic Alopecia and TE??

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by honeybea, Sep 26, 2016.

1. honeybea

honeybea New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have been dealing with hair shedding for the past 3 months.
    I started noticing it coming out in April but now it has gotten really bad. My hair doesn't seem to be growing. I don't see any new growth and you can see right to my scalp. The worst part is in the front and on the top . My hair is so dry and frizzy. Sometimes my scalp feels dry, burning and itchy.
    I went to the dermatologist and she said it was telogen effluvium. All my blood work came out fine and I know I've been under tremendous stress and lost substantial amount of weight.

I have been obsessively looking online for answers to this. I don't understand what's the difference between Androgenetic Alopecia and te. I'm really scared anxious and I'm having panic attacks over this.

2. April_moon

April_moon Member

Dislikes Received:
    Aha, is hereditary ..its a male patterened baldness that can affect both males and females...they often say this is the worst alopecia to have as the hair loss is permanent...also with androgenetic alopecia(Androgenetic Alopecia) you slowly lose your hair. The hair thins and diffuses over time..

A key indicator of Androgenetic Alopecia is a widening part and just thinning hair all over ..

With telogen effluvium, its hair loss that's caused by something traumatic that shocks the body and eventually your hair , you lose clumps.. And this shock can br caused by an illness, pregnancy, stress and more...they say after 3 months ( maybe more) the shedding stops..

If it hasn't corrected it self its possible its probably Androgenetic Alopecia.

I hope my answer helps.

3. JenVoy

JenVoy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes it isn't so cut and dry. Women can often have both. My CTE was caused by a medication I took last summer. 14.5 months later it's still coming out. TE doesn't necessarily resolve after 3-6 months, often it can linger for years. The only way to coming close to finding out what it is, is through biopsy. Even a biopsy isn't entirely accurate.

Hair loss is very complex in women. There isn't always a definite answer.