Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

When Should I Start Topical Minoxidil

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by Caitlin, May 26, 2018.

1. Caitlin

Caitlin New Member

Dislikes Received:
    okay so going to try and make a long story short I’m 20 years old with the most severe case of androgenic alopecia my dermatologist has seen on someone so young I have now been on several “hair loss vitamins” in additIon to b12, d3, ferritin, omega 3-6-9, and 150 mg of Spironolactone for roughly 4 months now and am still going through a continuous shed from Spironolactone that shows no signs of letting up my dermatologist recommended I start Rogaine along with all of those but I wanted to wait until one shed stopped before I risked another I now have a major vacation coming up where I will be seeing lots of family and will be gone for 3 weeks I’m tempted to start Rogaine now as my hair is so completely see through I rarely ever leave my house because of it however I don’t want it to get much worse before I go I would really appreciate any opinions!!

2. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    There are many posts on this forum about topical minoxidil. It seems that it works differently for everybody. Some have amazing results, some nothing at all. Member Nerak who is not posting any longer had great results. I used it for 2 years, no idea if it helped, had to stop, because I got very dry scalp fm it eventually, still trying to fight it off.

3. Shannon

Shannon New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I started using the 5% foam once daily and it has worked for me so far. I understand I will have to continue using it forever, but whatever, I prefer having hair. I have not had any issues with scalp irritation. I would say start it now because it takes a while for it to start working. It is not expensive (I get it from Amazon)- especially compared to a lot of the other treatments out there.

4. Teresa929

Teresa929 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Start as soon as you can! I wish I would have started it sooner. It has made a world of difference for me. It has helped me regrow hair along my frontal hair line and temples as well as the rest of my head. The strands of hair are actually thicker and healthier too. It is easy to apply the 5% foam each evening. I never miss a day. It's like brushing your teeth. Takes about two minutes for me now. Other people even notice the difference so I know its not just my imagination. I used to panick and cry about my hair loss all the time and now I haven't given it a thought in a year. I know it doesnt work for everyone, but it is definitely worth a try.

5. oabab

oabab New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello Caitlin!

Any news?