Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

White Blood Count Labs and hair loss

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by hairremedy12, Aug 15, 2007.

1. hairremedy12

hairremedy12 Guest

I have read that Alopecia Areata is cause by the body's own immune system attacking the hair follicles. Would a low white blood count that is below normal range be an indicator that this is the cause of the hair loss?

All other tests have been negative and I have gotten a different diagnosis from (3) dematologist- Alopecia androgenic, alopecia aureat and unknow or idiopathic alopecia.
    I am not certain since each derm has given me a different diagnosis and no treatment given as yet has worked.

2. scraggy

scraggy Guest

welcome to the boards..i cant give you an answer, as i also got such vague comments, heredity, menapausal, i am 56...and live with it..! loved that one....sooo many yrs down the line i sort of do just live with it, i use rogaine and thats about it, hope you have some better luck than me, it seems to be the general consensus on here, dr's dont know what they are doing...soo search for a dr who does know...regards..karin

3. maudehimmel

maudehimmel Guest

Hi their, I have AT and lost complete head hair within two weeks. A few months later my eyebrows went. I also had heaps of tests when my hair first went but I have been having regular Blood tests (every three months for over three years) and this is before my hair fell out and I got AT.
    I was having these tests because my white blood count was REALLY HIGH and the doctor was keeping an eye on this. So all I can add is the immune system is probably the cause but it seems to affect everyone in a different way.

4. rayneStormRN

rayneStormRN Guest

low white blood count wouldn't be an indicator. they feel that Alopecia Areata is caused by your immune system mistakenly identifying your hair follicles as invaders, and therefor your immune system attacks it. you SHOULD see an increase in CERTAIN white blood cells, not a decrease