Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

White kinky hairs

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by hairlosshelp, Aug 20, 2015.

1. hairlosshelp

hairlosshelp Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    It's absolutely ridiculous at this point. But over the past few weeks I have been shedding a lot of these hairs and I think it's obvious what the issue is. I showed people in my family them but NO ONE believed it was my hair, however I was able to pull out 3 of them from my scalp just by running my hands through my hair last night. I had been saving them for the past few weeks to have enough to photograph.

I'm literally dead on the inside at this point. I don't know how much longer I can go on like this. I have really done nothing to deserve this in life. It's so so unfair and I really don't know what the point is in pushing through any longer. My whole life is a mess not just this. The only reason I didn't end it last night itself is because this is the happiest my parents have been this month in the last like 3-4 years, I can't do this to them right now. I'm really, really trying not to offend anyone so I really apologize - I don't think this is an appropriate or warranted response to hair loss at all and there is depression in my medical history long before hair loss. I really hope this is not the inevitable thing for me...

[​IMG]

Some of those were on my shirt and pants, 3 of them were on my hands after I massaged my head and 1 was on my hair tie...

This is what my natural hair colour + current hair loss looks like nearly 10 months of shedding. The shed has gone up to what it was around Dec-Feb where massive amounts of my hair were dumped out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fleur1979

fleur1979 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have the same. They are very coarse and thick in my case. Yours also???

I am just teling myself: I am happy I lose those kinked hairs, because they make my hair look awful. Most of my regrowth looks more healthy, so I am hoping they need to go and make place for normal hair..

3. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    But isn't that miniaturization? I've read on here that people see blonde hairs growing in when their hair is a darker shade of blonde/light brown - this is white while my natural hair is black. And I'm 25 so it isn't like it's going white atm cuz I don't have any grey long hairs anywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

btw fleur, you have CTE and no Androgenetic Alopecia, right?

I did a quick analysis of my hair because a few months ago I believed I was getting no regrowth until I lifted my hair and saw 1-2+ inch long hairs that didn't go up to my normal full hair length. ofc the ****tiest part is some of those lengths seem to be falling too along with the long hairs, the sickly looking short hairs and these kinky white hairs.

I tried my best taking pics of these hairs on my phone but this is an example of the length I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

It can EASILY be a terminal long hair if it just held on for dear life but it abandoned my scalp just the same as the others. Some of my longer hairs that have the brown dye in it (I used to dye my hair brown - last time I did so was August 29th, exactly 1 year ago in just 1 week) are THINNER than this shorter hair that fell out!

1000mg saw palmetto should help to some extent in the mean time.

4. fleur1979

Dislikes Received:
    I had biobsies done that concluded TE (no Androgenetic Alopecia signs), but you never know for sure I guess...

I am going to collect the weird hairs and take it to my derm next month....

5. sheeny

sheeny Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi hairlosshelp,
    I don't know about the hairs, but it does sound like you are very depressed. I have lost (and continue to lose) a ton of hair in these past months. My scalp looks like crap and it is certainly depressing and unfair. I hate going to work or looking at my friends that seem to effortlessly pin their hair back without a second thought. Believe me, I know how you feel & it sucks. But.... I got the idea from your post that you are thinking about "ending it"? I don't know what else is going on in your life, but PLEASE try and talk to someone (preferably a professional) about this. You are too great of a person to give up because of hair. I read your post last night & woke up thinking about it a couple of times in the middle of the night. I felt I had to say something. There are people that you can talk to for whatever is hurting you inside. Your issues are not trivial, just hairloss alone is enough to send any girl into a spiral, but there are also solutions and help. I'm not sure where you are located, but if you need mental health resources in the US, please pm me. Hang in there- there is more to life than hair.

6. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks sheeny! Though you can see the state of my hair in those pics above...there was 0 thinning in the crown/part area besides the front prior to this shed though the balding appeared within just a month of the shed. I've struggled with my appearance my teenage/adult life...the closest I've come to feeling comfortable with my appearance was in 2010/2011. The one good thing I had was my thick hair until this all happened. My hair looks sickly and I'm also dealing with adult acne and excess weight, plus went through a whole bunch of relationship issues, losing friends...just feels like every area of my life is torn apart day by day by ridiculously unexpected things like early onset Androgenetic Alopecia while others effortlessly live an easy life. Most of my friends my age complain about the most trivial things and it genuinely feels like only the bad **** is happening to me. My sister is traveling to London and Paris next month, one of my friends is moving to Spain and it just feels like my life is going no where and the only thing I have is the hair of an 18 year old woman and the skin of a 13 year old girl with severe depression and no actual opportunities.

7. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hope I dont come across rude or anything but how about a change of things? Maybe see a natural doctor. Change your diet and lifestyle to try and help my scalp, it WILL help with the acne and you mentioned weight, they will drop off!! I have scalp issues and made so many changes to my diet and my skin is so nice now, really improves my looks. I am thin but lost a good 10lbs too. Try cutting out all dairy and sugars. It sounds hard but once you do it you it becomes a lot easier. You hair texture will change also. I use to live on jumk food and fast food. Now since my hair issues all I eat is meat, veggies, and fruits w/ some nuts and seeds here and there. Eggs, and oatmeal. Go for a walk, get out in the sun. All will help!! I was so depressed with my hair, I know how you feel but you can beat this!! Hey, hair pieces are not so bad either!

8. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks - I really appreciate your advice and you're right in several ways, though I have to say it really is not that simple. While I would love to say that I'm basically living on junk food/fast food because cutting it out would be the 100% easiest solution, I'm not really doing that at all =/ I've actually been eating pretty healthy (all the foods you mentioned). For breakfast I'd usually have oatmeal every other day with fruit and greek yogurt, for lunch a salad (lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes and broccoli mostly) with cranberries and either tuna or cold cut meats mixed in and a hard boiled egg and for dinner it's usually white rice with either chicken or baked salmon and a vegetable dish. And I snack on almonds, granola bars, either a tangerine or peach and either cherries or blueberries or grapes. Occasionally yeah I eat something unhealthyish by toasting bread and having a sandwich or substituting crumpets with jam for breakfast. There's no calorie deficits but it's not like I'm gorging on burgers and chocolate and soda, etc. In fact, calorie wise and unhealthy-food wise I've eaten A LOT more in my teens and early 20s because I had a much, much more active social life back then which would always involve going out to dinner and alcohol. Since this **** started not counting Christmas and Easter, I've pretty much eaten out less than 5 times because my social life has dwindled into nothing courtesy of not having anything in my wardrobe currently fit me and ofc the visible hair loss! I might be forgetting something but I've only drank alcohol once or twice this year...I'm not a big drinker, only drink socially. Yet all of this is happening =/ sucks so much.

I'm still going to eat healthy and try to eat even healthier (like cut out bread and rice and foods with a high IG). I'm also cutting out things like mushrooms and broccoli actually because they're testosterone boosters? I'm going to try to decrease my caloric intake to less than 1000 from September-December this year, though. I'm going to supplement (I already do with iron, vit-D, etc) to try to prevent any specific deficiencies in order to increase my SHBG levels (it's reaaaaallly low and it binds DHT!).

I don't really know anything about the depression and what not...it's been a struggle for a long time pre-hair loss. I'm just so upset because I literally see women with fully bald fathers who are younger than my parents but they don't show any signs of losing their hair. Even men my age with completely bald fathers have yet to lose it. Just given my family history, the thickness of so many of my cousins hairs, etc., hair loss in my 20s is literally the chance equivalent of winning a 20 million dollar lottery.

9. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I highly, highly recommend that you do not reduce your caloric intake that much. It is unhealthy in every way. Never should a person's caloric intake be under 1200. It can and does affect hair negatively; I suspect my hair loss may have been induced by losing 10 or so pounds in a couple of months by restricting my caloric intake to under 1200. My hematologist also thinks so. Please don't do this.

Instead, I suggest you have your blood sugar levels tested, hairlosshelp. Your diet sounds like it's very healthy, but I know you've said you've gained some weight recently. Insulin resistance could be a factor.

10. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    Hey labellavita, I think any hairloss from things like weight loss are a TE that will grow back because those things don't permanently affect the follicle. I've tried basically everything I could over the last 9 months and it's just gotten to the point where I'm pretty desperate. I don't really actually have to do anything drastic to get my calorie intake that low because it just requires eliminating bread and rice, which do nothing for my hair. Maybe it's not a good idea to do this long term but at least for the start =/ cuz at this point I don't know what else to do and these past 8 months have been a nightmare of an existence.

11. Roxy711

Roxy711 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hairlosshelp- if you don't mind me asking, what is your shbg level?

12. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    My SHBG is 26.
    According to this the reference range for adult females is 18-144 nmol/L, so even though 26 is not below...it's still a pretty big range
    http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/9285

SHBG binds sex steroids with high affinity (KD approximately 10[-10]M), dihydrotestosterone (DHT) ->testosterone (T) ->estrone/estradiol (E).
    Because of the higher affinity of SHBG for DHT and T, compared to E, SHBG also has profound effects on the balance between bioavailable androgens and estrogens. Increased SHBG levels may be associated with symptoms and signs of hypogonadism in men, while decreased levels can result in androgenization in women.

"Many conditions of mild-to-moderate androgen excess in women, particularly polycystic ovarian syndrome, are associated with low sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) levels. Most of these women are also insulin resistant and many are obese. A defect in SHBG production could lead to bioavailable androgen excess, in turn causing insulin resistance that depresses SHBG levels further. There are rare cases of SHBG mutations that clearly follow this pattern. SHBG levels are typically very low in these individuals. However, in most patients, SHBG levels are mildly depressed or even within the lower part of the normal range. In these patients, the primary problem may be androgen overproduction, insulin resistance, or both. A definitive cause cannot be usually established. Any therapy that either increases SHBG levels (eg, estrogens or weight loss), reduces bioactivity of androgens (eg, androgen receptor antagonists, alpha-reductase inhibitors), or reduces insulin resistance (eg, weight loss, metformin, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor [PPAR] gamma agonists), can be effective. Improvement is usually associated with a rise in SHBG levels, but bioavailable or free testosterone levels should also be monitored.

Basically looking at my lab work (high-ish TSH, over normal free testosterone, and low SBG, plus high BP) it all makes sense kinda...

Then there's this article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14758568
    Conclusion was: The hormonal pattern of a substantial number of men with premature balding resembles in some respects the hormonal pattern of women with polycystic ovary syndrome.

So now the idea is how to raise it....one thing is diet and exercise, but that might not be enough, so I'm hoping the BC and the Spironolactone will also help.

13. Roxy711

Dislikes Received:
    I think bcp like Yasmin is supposed to help. I think everyone's body is different though and everyone's body needs different amounts of hormones to be balanced. I have wondered for years if I have some form of pcos but have never gotten a diagnosis because I don't have all the main symptoms and my blood work they say does not indicate it. I was overweight in childhood and went through and eating disorder and actually lost a ton of hair in high school but by age 18 or 19 it was all back when I got to a normal weight. Then I started to develop thick dark hair on my stomach, and then I started to get a little on my face, not enough to shave or anything, but I have had to pluck and check it everyday. Then I started getting mild to moderate acne which I had never had before, even at puberty. So I wondered if I had pcos. I remember reading about it at about age 20, and reading hair loss as a symptom and thinking, thank god I don't have that! I had tons of hair then, even after recovering from hair loss. But then a couple years later my hair started shedding like crazy, and after a few months I noticed how thin it was getting and freaked out. I eventually got in to a gyno for some blood work hoping to finally get answers, and in the end felt as though I had gotten no where. Even though my testosterone was on the higher end of normal, she said I did not have it because my shbg came back at 94, testosterone was in normal range, I did not have insulin resistance, I am thin, and have pretty regular periods. The only abnormal thing was high autoimmune thyroid antibodies. And I also have hypothyroid symptoms. She wouldn't diagnose me with that either. A few months later I went back in wanting a scan of my ovaries, which showed no cysts. I asked for Yasmin anyway and never ended up taking it because I found out I was pregnant a week later. So they will not diagnose me still because no cysts and now they know I am fertile. I have been very frustrated because I know all of these symptoms are not normal, and have really affected my life, but they ignore them. Every doctor does even my ob. And I don't want to have an underlying hormone problem that will affect my baby. My hair is still shedding 4 months into pregnancy and I always heard pregnancy is best for hair. I hope it ends up being so. But yeah sorry for the long story. What I am trying to say is, hopefully bc will help and raising your shbg levels will help you out! I really hope! But mine was near 100 and I still unfortunately have symptoms :( hormones are such a complicated thing in women.

14. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the pregnancy! I've heard the same thing about pregnancy and hair, so do you think that your hair loss might be due to something else? How long has it been going on for overall?

I really hope increasing SHBG will help out. I have Androgenetic Alopecia but I refuse to just basically shrug it off like the doctors have been doing, the whole genetic thing is just the easiest explanation and quickest way to dismiss someone...aside from the lack of hair loss history in my family for me to have "Androgenetic Alopecia activated" at 19 when I see so many people with bald fathers who have no signs of hair loss (they can get it from their mothers too, but usually it's easier to see if a man is bald than if a woman is thinning) so that means the hair loss gene is 100% in their family while both my parents and grandparents had their hair intact well into their 50/60s. As women get older their hair naturally thins out, so it could be a hormonal issue that's causing me to deal with this so prematurely. And with SHBG it makes sense given its high affinity for binding DHT which is implicated in hair loss. So naturally if I have low SHBG means more DHT to attack my follicles.

15. Roxy711

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure why. My sister thinks it's my thyroid. She has hair loss similar to mine for much longer than mine and hers has improved a little since getting treatment. My doctor is having it routinely checked for me since I am pregnant, the first time I had it checked tsh was almost 4, but it's gone down a bit since then. I have had hair loss for about 2 and 1/2 years now. Since age 22. And it happened fast. I had very thick hair all my life, except when I had hair loss associated with eating disorder, in which case it all grew back. I feel like I have too many symptoms for it to not be hormonal in some way or another, but my deem thinks I just had te. It's been going on way too long for that and it's not really recovering. My parents are in their early sixties and still have all their hair, as do all my siblings (who are all older than me) other than my sister with the thyroid disorder, and even she still looks normal just much thinner hair, similar to mine. My maternal grandpa and uncles all went bald, but as far as I know no females have been affected, and I have 22 female cousins on that side. Most have bald fathers but have thick hair themselves. And my dad still has very thick hair. Even if my male cousins I only have 2 that are balding, and they are both at least a decade older than me. It's all very frustrating.

16. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    Oohh the TSH is also another thing...mine is 4.3 and back when my hair wasn't shedding it was 2.75. Like it actually amazes me the doctors can look at blood work and be like...oh this is nothing and then you find out that it's actually an issue.

Do you think you might have CTE? Are you noticing any wider partings or are you shedding tapered hairs (though this is characteristic of CTE as well).

And same here - one set of my mom's cousins related maternally to her - 4 boys 1 girl, all 4 boys at this point have hair loss or a receding hair line starting in late 20s and their dad is bald (he's unrelated to us) but the girl has 0 hair loss issues. Whereas the rest of her cousins from the maternal line and all her brothers and sisters (all over 50) have no hair loss. There are a whole bunch of other diseases that run in my family that if I got it I'd be like okay...yeah, saw this coming in a way. But this is ridiculous, I would NEVER thought hair loss would be an issue for me because I'd struggle with my hair thickness before. It used to take me so much more longer than my sister to straighten my hair even though we both have the same hair. I just feel robbed of it, you know...and because I am. There are so many people I know that get EVERYTHING in life, even opportunities that you never thought were possible. I want and need to be one of those people for a change.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Roxy, I'm not sure if you have PCOS since they didn't detect any cysts but symptoms tend to vary - though I do think infertility and the cysts are the main ones that will give you the diagnosis for it as it's what they're most concerned about. There's a girl 1 year younger than me that suffers from PCOS (officially diagnosed) and didn't ovulate for a period of several months here and there so it was VERY irregular and she was unable to get pregnant despite trying. She struggled with acne but managed to actually get a hold on it and her skin is very clear now but aside from postpartum hair loss she doesn't experience that nor does she experience weight gain and has always been very thin and lost her baby weight superfast. She managed to have two kids! One was with help from an infertility clinic and the other was a miracle baby...literally, she wasn't ovulating for several months and was planning to visit the infertility clinic after the first kid turned 1 but ended up conceiving a few months before! And the doctors had told her she was going to miscarry but the baby was born 3 months ago and is really healthy!

So because PCOS is a syndrome and not a disease it is possible to have it and not express all the symptoms or have them here and there or be fertile, etc. So I'm just putting this out there for anyone who might think they have it but aren't sure because they don't experience one or two of the symptoms. I do genuinely feel like the doctors don't know or care about your PCOS diagnosis and your health in general unless you're having difficulty getting pregnant. And while that is easily the worst symptom of PCOS, we all still deserve the appropriate care for our health. Sadly, the main thing that was verified to me in dealing with this issue is that doctors compartmentalize symptoms far too much rather than look at the whole picture and they will always attempt to treat the easiest symptom to treat. I haven't been afflicted with anything more severe than hair loss thankfully (unless you count the depression), but I did notice this with my mother who was suffering of a skin rash for years and got misdiagnosed with skin cancer through a biopsy only to find out that it was actually a side-effect of an eye medication she was on. She is healthy now (thank God!) but the whole process was extremely worrisome with the idea that it could actually be cancer or if her immune system has been affected, etc.

17. Roxy711

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I feel like my doctors never want to look into things for me. They all say no pcos because I don't have the "main" symptoms or what they consider abnormal blood work. So I asked her why such dark body hair and acne would suddenly appear in adulthood when I never even had it as a teenager?? She basically shrugged. The only symptoms I have are mild acne that has gotten a lot better, dark hair on my stomach which I mostly had lasered, well I have a lot of dark body hair on my legs too. And also hair loss. I wouldn't say my part has "widened" but it's much less dense. But it's not just the top or middle. It's all over my whole head. It's thinned everywhere. The sides are the worst. Also, yes I lose tapered hairs all the time of varying thickness and length. That's what I hate seeing most.

18. Wolf924

Wolf924 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hairlosshelp--I REALLY REALLY THINK your hair loss is thyroid related. If it is, I swear you can work towards really fixing it. 4.3 IS SOOOOOO HIGH. Can you please get another doctor? I really think there is a lot of hope for you--you are clearly very intelligent and I think you can get a handle on this hair loss and beat it.

#18 Wolf924, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  19. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you! So many people are saying the same. I'll see if I can switch doctors to the one my mom currently has because this one is trying but he really doesn't seem to know much at all and keeps telling me I don't really have an issue even though my hair has been pouring out.

20. fleur1979

Dislikes Received:
    At one point my thyroid TSH was around 6. One doctor did not want to put me on thyroid medication, because I had no other symptoms than hair loss, and only if it is around 10 they want to give you something (that is apparently how it works in the Netherlands). My dermatologist said she wants to describe the thyroid meds for me to try if it would help for hair loss.
    So, I tried... And I had really bad side effects. Instead of more energy I was exhausted, I really got dark circles under my eyes, and was extremely cold. My doctors said the meds seem to have an opposite effect on me. After I quit them, I felt normal again. I thought I rather be bald than feeling like that. The weird thing is that ever since this, my TSH levels are around 2.5 again.

My TSH was around 4 when I was in my teens and my hair was perfect!!!

It is weird and confusing this thyroid thing.. but watch out with medication. I would only take them if there are more symptoms than hair loss to be honest, and of course if you really need them.