Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Why are they so stupid????

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by tbacchi, Mar 8, 2006.

1. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

I just went for highlights and to get a trim. The shampoo girls tells me that I should be taking vitamins for my hair. Well, thanks for the info, but I have been popping vitamins for over a year. Then she acted surprised and asked "they don't work???" Then she proceeds to tell me that I should be using Biotin shampoo. Well, here's a news flash for you, I've been using that too.

You know what? It was enough that I told my stylist what was going on. And, I have managed to find a few stylists that have been unbelievably kind, gentle and understanding. I refuse to share my story with everyone at the salon.
    T.

2. redclaire

redclaire Guest

This may sound awful and mean... but you should call the salon manager and explain that you are a regular client and that you are in the painful process of losing your hair for "health" reasons and that the last thing you need is some little snit of a shampoo girl to make it worse. You don't need to leave YOUR name, but you should leave hers. It is not her place to say such things to anyone. She should wash your hair, ask if you want a deep conditioner and leave it at that.
    Then, the next time you are in there, if she's still there, refuse to have he wash your hair and wait for someone else to do it.
    I hope hope hope hope you didn't tip her.

Sorry, but I waited tables for years and her saying that would be like me telling someone overweight that they should order the salmon because it's less fattening.

3. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

Yes! I didn't tip her! T.

PS-I thought the same thing myself. Next time I go back, I will refuse to have her wash and blow my hair. Sheesh.

4. redclaire

redclaire Guest

Good for you!

5. teester

teester Guest

Tbacchi,

It is scenerio's like yours that have stoped me completely from going to the salon...the endless hair advice by ignorant people. Good for you for not tipping. We are in a service industry and some people are afraid to not tip when service is bad. That hair wash girl needs to reflect on her bad service to you.

How are your highlights?

6. sawyersmom

sawyersmom Guest

honestly,,,,,,,,,that is why I have not gone to get my haircut but once since this started. when I noticed my first patch, I went to get a haircut to cover it up. the ignorant girl told me it was nothing to worry about, maybe cause I had a baby(he was already 2)?? anyway,,,,,,I did not go back. but I am gonna have to go somewhere...........the hair I have left is getting thinner..........and above all else I am getting split ends............lol.So, I am gonna have it cut as soon as I can think of somewhere to go.

Beth

7. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

Actually, I feel really lucky to have found a few stylists that have been really great about my thinning. It's always the shampoo girls that are so ignorant.

Teester, the highlights look amazing. Plus, I defiitely needed the trim. I always feel better after I do a little something to my hair at a salon. I almost feel normal again.

BUT WHY ARE THEY SO STUPID??
    T.

8. skyline

skyline Guest

When I first started losing my hair (in handfuls), I told my stylist and he talked to the shampoo girl. I still had a ton of hair, but it was falling so much it would have alarmed her. Weirdly enough -- I actually knew her -- I had met her at a party a couple of weeks earlier. I thought it was very professional of my stylist to take her aside and talk with her discreetly first.
    I'm sorry your stylist didn't do the same thing!
    Jessica

9. redclaire

redclaire Guest

I think that the stylists (wrongly) assume that the shampoo girls would know better. Saddly, it's so not true. You know, a thought is to wash your hair yourself before you go in. Just slap on a hat and go in with it wet. It's a good way to avoid them yanking at tangles too ( which drove me CRAZY at my last hair cut). You can wash and brush it out, so it's smooth and ready to cut when you go in.

10. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

I have gone into salons many times and asked them not to wash my hair, just wet it. Normally, I can get away with that. This time, she had to wash it because I got highlights too. This stylists also happens to like to cut my hair dry. Thats why I got the lecture from the shampoo girl. She had to wash it and blow it.

11. redclaire

redclaire Guest

She's a S H A M P O O girl... she shouldn't be lecturing you on anything. What a little <insert choice word here>!

12. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

Ha ha Redclaire! I thought the same thing. But I didn't want to sound judgemental!
    T.

13. redclaire

redclaire Guest

I guess I feel a little justified. I mean... I worked as a waitress in a four star place for YEARS... and while I'll be the first to admit that I probably had more class than half the people I "served" I'll also admit that while on the job I certainly knew my place. If that makes any sense.

14. Prini

Prini Guest

That was very unprofessional.

The hair stylist should have spoke to the shampoo girl privately if the sylist will not wash your hair.

Prini

15. I agree w/ Clair's post. And... I had to laugh when I read it- a waiter did once tell me to order the salmon. He also added "order it without the butter."

I was being treated to dinner by a relative. Unfortunately, the waiter did get a tip.

BTW- this was years before my hair loss started and this waiter had badly thinning hair.

16. Until yesterday I hadn't been to a salon for about 3 years as I once got so upset by the dimwit (i'm being polite) washing my hair 'gosh, a lot of your hair is coming out in the basin' etc etc. After that I had a lady come to my house to cut it - much less traumatic and loads cheaper. I've been colouring it myself but decided to brave a salon again for a preofessional colour. Was pertty devestated when the hairdresser told me my hair was too weak - broke eaily when he did a strand test. He said this was due to colour over coulor plus I was in the sun in December and it bleached the colour I had in. I actually think that my non-coloured 'new' hair is just as bad though. Although this indeuced major panic as grey hair is showing, I had the cut and my hair looks so much better. I used to just have the ends trimmed but this really nice hairdresser took quite a lot off the ends and it actually has some still to it. Amazing! I've been told to use nourishing treatment etc and go back in a month or so. I'm not convinced, recjon it will still be weak. Sorry for rambling post. Have any of you had a hairdresser refuse to colour your hair because it's weak?

17. redclaire

redclaire Guest

I do my own, but I have to say... I know it was hard to hear, but kudos to your hair dresser for helping take care of your hair!

18. Prini

Prini Guest

I agree your hairdresser was right on the money NOT to color your hair, as she wasn't thinking about MONEY/profit.

Glad your hair is looking better.

Prini

19. minx

minx Guest

I know what you mean about stressing about your grey hairs but really this hairdresser sounds as though they really are thinking about the best for you. A lot of places would just take your money and not worry about the consequences.

Glad your hair looks better for its cut, it is amazing what a nice cut can do.

Minx

20. colline

colline Guest

why me

gotta get the hairdresser involved in some reshaping - scared hate it always have to explain i dont have cancer just hair loss - so should i go to michael the barber down the road he says nothing just trims it and it is painful but quick or the hairdresser down the road with full beamed lights and asks questions with others beaming over me whilst they have their locks blowdried to look how i only wished i could have again or third is theone i used to go to where only early shifts are better as if they notice the hair loss i die of embarrassment and just negate myself and looks for the next few weeks

Why me! was it karma was i so bad to people god punished me - sorry snapping out if it now