Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Wierd endo app.

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by kaylee, May 29, 2008.

1. kaylee

kaylee Guest

So I went and saw a new endo today, he was actually pretty sympathetic and nice which I found surprising. He even let me bump up my Spironolactone dose to 200mg..which I was happy about. My other endo said no! Then he went on to say that I dont have PCOS and girls with PCOS don't have high testosterone but high estrogen! Huh???? So what the heck do I have then?

2. dying curls

dying curls Guest

hahah docs never agree...

high testosterone is definetely a symptom of PCOS...hence the hair loss and the facial hair...
    if we only had high estrogen but normal T we would not deal with this....
    But that's true that high estrogen can be a PCOS symptoms too..actually imany many many girls have high estrogens nowaday because the food and the environment is full of estrogens and chemical that act like estrogens...half of women are said to have high estrogen or more estrogen than progesterone , but not all of them have PCOS...

high T is more a pcos symptom than high estrogens. and some PCOS dont have high estrogens...

3. angieangie

angieangie Guest

WHAT THE HELL? What a dumbass endo. Man, some people are wacker.

4. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

I have read somewhere as well, that Estrogen dominance is what causes PCOS.

5. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Yeah I KNOW!, but he was helpful and I guess thats all that matters...haha

6. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Yeah it does. But in some of the cases there is elevated androgens.

7. mjh

mjh Guest

Why can't our hormones just be normal? What did we ever do to them? :dunno:

8. dying curls

dying curls Guest

what causes PCOS in 85 per cent of the cases is insulin resistance even if you do not have any weight prob...then you have some girls with thyroid problem that can have PCOS as a result, then other hormonal problem.
    estrogen dominance is not what causes PCOS but can be found in PCOS woment...and many women are estrogen dominant even without PCOS.But T is a much more telling thing to make a diagnosis of PCOS.
    Many many many women are estrogen dominant.

9. dying curls

dying curls Guest

elevated androgen in PCOS is certainly more common than estrogen dominance.
    cases of primary PCOS arent that common. often there is some other cause like insulin resistance, cortisol issues, thyroid issues, ect...
    and elevated androgen are the causes of the PCOS symptom, elevated estrogen alone wont give you facial hair or acne or hair loss.

10. GoodYear

GoodYear Guest

:jump:

11. Nikoletta

Nikoletta Guest

Sorry this will sound dumb, but in a regular blood test is insulin tested? can you tell me more...

12. dying curls

dying curls Guest

no , in a regular blood test you will only know you blood sugar levels and sometimes this cannot tell you if you are insuline resistant or not.
    My surgar levels were are normal , i am considered underweight with a BMI under 18 and yet I am IR. I know because of a particular symptom i have that can or cannor appear in IR.

13. Nikoletta

Nikoletta Guest

So DC how would i know if i am IR? What is a symptom...

14. VANESA

VANESA Guest

er .. he is wrong..
    Women with PCOS quite often do have free higher testosterone levels but it can be normal and they can still have hairloss too, here is why.

Free testosterone is what affects the scalp hair and body hair right and mixed with the hairloss gene - your hair will fall out....

You might have normal levels of free testosterone but low levels of ShBG.. the lower the level the more active or free the testosrterone is... so once your SHBG rises through exercise, losing weight, eating low GI and metformin. it rises making the free testosterone less afffective or able to affect the skin therefore scalp and hair in general on the body.....

15. kaylee

kaylee Guest

My total T was high, but everything else was normal.

16. dying curls

dying curls Guest

it was exactly the same for me when i was tested for PCOS the first time everyt hing was ok SHBG, LH:FSH ratio all my androgens were ok excpet T...but you have to remember PCOS makes you unastable hormonally and you can get worse or better lab results..My sister is 33 and only had an elevated T the rest was normal.Still we both have pcos.

17. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Mines gotten waay better since being on Spironolactone...so I hope it stays that way! Oh and dying curls, I have a question for you. When you went on the hair loss meds, how long did it take you to see the hair loss stop progressing? Not the shed, but the thinning it self?

18. dying curls

dying curls Guest

yeah Spironolactone is good and there's no reason the med stop acting on you.
    I already answered this question i think..but right a while ago...
    I think the shedding stops differently for everyone..it depends for how long you had been shedding before you sought treatment, how bad were your homrones ect...
    So the first time i was treated , when the doctor thought it was impossible i had pcos, i would say the shedding stops around 3 months after taking the meds...and i started to have major regrowth around 8 months after and i was on the meds for 18 months, i had ongoing regrowth while on them and my hair really improved...then i was told to stop...and i lost everything i had gained back and more becaue my hormones were more clearly upset this time...and it took much longer for the shedding to stop...one year...i started to have regrowth about the same time, but no major regrowth like the first time..i am still waiting for clear regrowht..i have been back on the meds for 2 years and a half now..i can say that since my iron is better i seem to have a bitmore regrowth but still not as much as i would like...well

for you , i guess it will be fine..you havent lost as much and did somehting right away..it took me years to be diagnosed and i prolly started to shed around 16 in a very vicious and progressive way..so it took me long to realize...

19. alicat

alicat Guest

do you take metformin, dying curls?

20. dying curls

dying curls Guest

No...my symptom of IR was AN hugeeeee AN that appeared in a few days and i had them on my toes that were literally black from it...i was also very sleepy after meals, and was craving for sugar all the time , and had faints even when i had eaten...
    I am not on met, i asked my endo about it she says 'it' s too violent' and tells me i dont need it because my sugars are ok and i dont have any weight issues..i insisted though when she said that..then she said that since my AN disapperead with the bcp that i am not IR under the bcp...m..well ...i asked another doctor to who refuses to give it to e because he fears it can make my blood sugar levels go too low..my endo says we might consider it the day i wanna get pregnant..well...

here they dont prescribe it to pcos unless they have weight issues or ttc..and even it's kinda new..i dunno..so far i must say my AN is gone , no more of it on my feet or breast..and i am not tired any more after meals or things like this..at least AN is not that bad in the sense that i will know for sure if my IR had to return again..