Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Wig Questions

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by summer006, Sep 6, 2005.

1. summer006

summer006 Guest

I can't get into the cosmetic options forums for some reason , so I shall post this here..

I want to be prepared should I have to look into a wig in the near future. I'm wondering:

What is the approximate cost?
    Is real hair better than synthetic?
    How are they kept on and how well do they stay?
    In general are wigs styled after the purchase or are they bought based on the manufactored style?
    Can you loosely tie your hair back or in a clip without the back looking fake?

Summer

2. valley23

valley23 Guest

I am wondering all of the same things about wigs as well. I think that making the big step and getting one would IMMENSLY help my self image and confidence, but I dont know much about them!

3. CandyBooks

CandyBooks Guest

Hi! I starting wearing wigs in May when my Androgenetic Alopecia got worse. I now think I have chronic TE on top of the Androgenetic Alopecia, making it impossible for me to go out in public without feeling like a paranoid wreck! There appears to be no medical solution for me and I have literally saved my sanity through hairpieces.

Here are the answers to your questions, but you should also consider joining the MSN Wig Support Group, which guided me and many others through this transition.

What is the approximate cost?
    Synthetic wigs range from $40-$250; HH ranges from $100-2000.

Is real hair better than synthetic?
    Neither is better, it is really a personal preference. Synthetics are pretty much pre-styled but may need some thinning/trimming. Human Hair (HH) needs to be styled/cut, and needs more work styling after it is washed. Synthetics are known to tangle and last about 2-4 months. HH should last 1-2 years. (Also, synthetics will be ruined by high heat, e.g. getting too close to the oven.) I prefer HH because I am allergic to synthetics (from what I can tell, this is pretty rare), but many others prefer the ease of styling/maintenance they find in synthetics. There are also MANY more styles in synthetics.

How are they kept on and how well do they stay?
    It depends if you have hair or not, although some people with or without hair just wear them without any additional clips, glue, etc. If you have hair, small toupee clips (they look like a cross between a little comb and a bobby pin) can hold the wig in very securely. If you don't have hair, there are glues, double sided tape and/or velcro. Sally Turney, who helps people on this site since she is a wig expert, can explain these things (and more!) if you send her a private message or make a positing. I use three toupee clips and never feel like they are coming off. I wore one short one with two clips on some very intense water slides (that felt like roller coasters) and it stayed on just fine. (I had tested it in the shower to see what it looked like when it got wet and whether it stayed on :)

In general are wigs styled after the purchase or are they bought based on the manufactored style?
    The synthetics are generally prestyled like in the photos. HH needs to be styled and often is very difficult to make it look like the manufactured style. There are also different types of HH, e.g. Russian, Indian and Chinese.

Can you loosely tie your hair back or in a clip without the back looking fake?
    I don't know since the hair on mine goes to the middle of my neck. Often, the biggest issue is not having the rim show, which is why you still see most wigs with bangs and some hair around the sides.

I know I am SO MUCH better off now, but I realize wigs/hairpieces are not for everyyone. At this point, I had NO OTHER choice, other than to go to a loony bin or become a hermit. I tried to tell myself I was more than my hair, but someone I just couldn't get over the embarrassment of my scalp showing. I am still so pleasantly surprised that I discovered wigs, since I really had given up all other hope. They are also much more comfortable than I had imagined.

I hope this helps and good luck dealing with this nightmare!

4. Jlynnleal

Jlynnleal Guest

Hi I am new to this site, I recently purchased a wig, and I love it! My hair is extremly thin on top (Seems to be where I am losing the most) I have been wearing my hair in a clip to hide the area, but decided it was time for a wig. I love it! I bought my wig at a shop that works with cancer patients as well as ladies suffering from alopecia. They were awesome! cut and styled the wig for me and also showed me different things I could do with it, one of which was pulling it up with pretty hair accessories. (sp)
    so, I guess it depends on the style and length of the wig you purchase. Mine is the same length as my normal hair which is right at the top of the shoulder. :D hope this helps!

5. Prini

Prini Guest

hi

Wow, the last two posts are encouraging, thanks.

Prini

6. valley23

valley23 Guest

thanks so much, candybrooks and jlynnleal! Your posts are very helpful.

It seems a toss-up between HH and synthetic. Synthetic sounds like less maintenance, but HH lasts longer. Hmmm, not sure which one to go with.

Thanks for the info!

7. Peony

Peony Guest

go with human hair. the texture and sheen are much more realistic. and you can use any kind of product (and HEAT) with it. better to style it to your face anyway than go with something pre-styled out of the box. my 2 cents.

8. valley23

valley23 Guest

Thanks Peony. I appreciate your suggestion! I do think it would be fun to be able to style and play with my hair again. A big benefit of HH. How often do you need to wash HH wigs? Do they keep their styles very long? HH generall lasts longer than synthetic, correct?

9. rosebuds

rosebuds Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello Jlynnleal:

Just out of curiousity, what state do you live in? I live in Wisconsin and was wondering if you happened to purchase your wig near this area.

On hot and humid days my hair just goes, ~~plop~~ hello. . . scalp! And I wouldn't feel so insecure if I could wear a wig.

10. Peony

Peony Guest

i am so much happier as a person now that i have a piece it is ridiculous. i have a custom toppiece from kiki (http://www.kikiwigs.com), and it is definitely one of the best out there...the hair is soft and almost a perfect match to my natural hair, and the scalp is totally realistic. i started with a louis ferrer 4002 toppiece, but the kiki is SO much better it is sort of ridiculous. kiki is located in Brooklyn NY but you can definitely order something through the mail/telephone/internet with them. Very important to send a good lock of your hair to match if you can't get to NYC.

as far as washing goes, you're only supposed to do it once a week, maybe even once every two weeks. i tend to wash it a bit more than that, but i might be compromising the piece...basically each strand of hair is knotted individually to one layer of the base, so the more you wash it, the more likely you'll lose hairs from it. but i've had it for a couple of months now and it is holding up nicely.

i'm not much for styling my hair. i got the piece cut to pretty much do its own thing...long bangs (think claire on six feet under this past season) and layers at the bottom to blend in with my natural hair as it grows out. washing definitely refreshes the style when my natural hair oils start to make the bangs go flat. i wear my hair in a ponytail (low, at the nape of my neck) a lot, and that works well. i even wore some pigtails the other day and they looked pretty damn cute.

11. teester

teester Guest

Peony,
    Is your piece bonded or do you take it off every night?

12. rosebuds

Dislikes Received:
    To Peony:

You're right, I went to the Kiki wig site, and the wigs look just beautiful.

Are you in the UK, because I noted they are not located in the US. Do they ship to the US?

Just one more, question. Sometimes wigs can literally make you look like a well. . . "hooker" because there is so much hair! Do these fall into this category?

I've always had thin, fine hair to begin with, so I don't want to look noticeably different and unatural.

13. rosebuds

Dislikes Received:
    To Peony ~ re: Kiki wigs?

To Peony:

Sorry for previous email. I found the NY number.

However, I had a verys strange, and I must say leary experience. It's a Friday morning, some really strange guy answered and said they were closed; on a Friday? Plus when he answered the phone, he just said "hello", not even stating the a business name -- very strange.

Are they legit????

14. bayareagirl

bayareagirl Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    So nice to see positive wig reports here.

Peony, if you are feeling brave, would you consider posting a pic of your topper on Hair Habit?

I had a disappointing experience with my LF topper yesterday. My hairdresser said she didn't see how I (or rather she) could make it blend in realistically with my own hair. She also said she didn't think it was a great construction and would look fake. :( I was a bit gutted to say the least as I was pinning my hopes on her helping me out. She was just being honest. She said she could try, but I would likely end up spending a lot of money and still not being satisfied.

Re Kiki's being closed on Friday, I think they are a Jewish company so maybe they are closed for Shabbat? (although wouldn't they be open in the morning?)
    Kate

15. Lesliet

Lesliet Guest

I sent a message to Christine and kikiwigs and she got back to me within a few hours. They are closed on Saturday so I will talk to her on Sunday about my needs. I live in Seattle, unfortunately, so it would be a lot easier if I could show up but I think it will work via email/phone. They will match my own hair and hair density which is something I struggled with having a hair system. I think I will be very happy with the results.

Thanks for the great info -- keep it coming!

16. caryn

caryn Guest

Hi My name is Caryn and I have been recently diagnosed with Alopecia. I bought my first wig last week - and although the style is totally me, I wish I would have learned more about wigs before I purchased it.

My problem is that it is itchy - mainly because of the lace that's inside it. I did not know that there are three different types of insides......there's the lace one that I purchased, there's one called the hand made (which maybe I should have gotten) a little more expensive and there's another one, although I can't remember. Take your time...talk to people that have wigs and can tell you about their experience.

Thanks

Caryn

17. Mane_Trouble

Mane_Trouble Guest

Hiya!
    Just wanted to point out that I recently created a wigs and extensions reviews site.

The impetus was to provide a central place where women can submit commentary about particular hair piece options they have tried and also learn from others so that they might have more insight for future possible purchases. So far some of the ladies on heralopecia have contributed to test the site and I am gradually inviting more ladies to try it. If you have experience with wigs or extensions especially it would be great if you could pay the site a visit and submit your valuable feedback on what you have tried. The directions on how to post reviews is located here:
    http://www.wearablehair.com/ReviewPost/directions.html

And you will find the reviews board at:
    http://www.wearablehair.com

Hope you find it useful and I'm still spiffing up the site as I go!
    Shana

18. Peony

Peony Guest

Rosebuds--they are orthodox jews. So it makes sense that they are closed on friday afternoons and saturday. Don't know why they'd be closed on Friday morning, but they are definitely very observant. They answer the phone hello--don't know why. Don't be deterred, they make amazing wigs...Kathy at wig support has just started carrying their line if you want to call her and ask her about what she's seen. They are located in Borough Park, in Brooklyn NY. I was totally weirded out when I first called, and even when I went it, so don't worry about it.

My boyfriend just got a new digital camera, so I've got tons of pics of me--finally! I just need to shrink them and I can post them on wig support (or hair habit, whatever...wig support easier to get into).

I don't have my piece bonded, but I've been told that I could bond the kiki with some modification. I sleep in it when I sleep w/my boyfriend (and just wore it for like, 2 weeks straight on vacation), but take it off when i'm sleeping alone...the clips definitely pull at my hair and are occasionally uncomfortable, but this is nothing like the discomfort I used to feel being constantly paranoid about my toppik rubbing off, scalp shining through, blah blah blah. I look so much cuter than I have in YEARS, and younger too. The kiki topper is very soft, beautiful hair, and is a great match to my own...the scalp is totally realistic, but I did have to cut bangs into it to hide the rim. Check out my post "my kiki topper" on the "cosmetic options" page of the site--Merry, who has been using kiki for years, chimed in a bit on that thread and I put in a lot of details about the piece.

My only problem has been finding the right product...i'm considering using mayonnaise or eggs on it, to bring back some of the original shine and luster. pantene just has not been doing the job. anyone use any great salon products that keep their wigs shiny and bouncy?

A note about how it looks--even friends who know that I am wearing a piece can't detect it. This weekend, one friend kept looking at me, telling me how great I looked, and what a great haircut I had gotten. She didn't have a clue--only knew I looked WAY better than I have in a long time.

19. Peony

Peony Guest

bayareagirl--bummer about the LF. The scalp on mine was not very realistic, but I managed to pull it off pre-kiki. What is the problem w/matching it? The color or the texture? I'd imagine it would only work well if your hair texture was similar to the piece. If you want to talk about it more, send me a pm and maybe we can chat about it on the phone or something. Have you tried to put it on yourself?

20. Deborah

Deborah Guest

Wig

:) I am currently wearing a wig full time, it's not that bad. The only thing that I find is that in the summer it gets very hot. I have a real hair wig and started wering it before all my hair fell out and my friends did not even notice the difference. Go to someone who deals with wigs only. The cost was approx 1200.00. Hope everything goes well. [/i]