Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Wig / Topper Clips causing traction alopecia / baldspots

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by sadie_2008, Jun 4, 2010.

1. sadie_2008

sadie_2008 Guest

Ladies, for those of you who wear clip on toppers / wigs / hair extensions, how do you alleviate tension on the remaining bio hair?

I now have a baldspot pretty obvious on the front of my hairline where i clipped in my previous topper. I changed the clips around a bit for the one i am wearing, but i still need a clip at the front of the topper to secure it.

I am thinking how bad this is going to get. For the past few months ive tried rubbing all sorts of stuff onto the baldspot but it hasnt grown hair back. Ive also undone the clip once ive secured my topper so it isnt "grabbing" any of my bio hair but no joy.

Any tips please, other than moving the clips around, but as i said, i need a clip at the front of my topper :(

2. sadie_2008

sadie_2008 Guest

There must be some ladies having experience of this? :$

3. I wonder about this too...

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't had this happen yet, but I do worry about it. I've only worn my fall for about 5 weeks now, but have often wondered about the clips. I'll be anxious to hear what others with more experience in this area have to say.

5. Eztli

Eztli Guest

I've had my fall for about a year. The clips at the front are the only ones that seem to cause me any pain, though they have yet to cause alopecia. I have heard of people getting the front clips replaced with a comb, that might help.

Some days I don't use teh front two clips and wear a headband for added security.

6. eco_girl

eco_girl Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I rarely use the front clips as they do bother me a bit. I often put in some bobby pins- either underneath and wear it down....or I pull it back and use bobby pins. My longer topper is for wearing up- so there is always a clip or band in the back.

7. sadie_2008

sadie_2008 Guest

Thanks ladies. I think the comb idea sounds good. I'm going to keep unclipping the clips at the front once i've secured the piece. I always, well 99% of the time, wear my topper clipped up at the back but i just need it to look natural at the front.

Really hope the hair grows back.

8. sadie_2008

sadie_2008 Guest

Coming back on this as the baldness is getting worse - where can i get a comb from?

I've seen combs on Shietels but i have no idea where to get one from or how to attach it.

Anyone have any thoughts? Any websites i can order from?

many thanks
    xox

9. Jubilee

Jubilee Guest

You should be able to find them at your local beauty supply place. I wonder if you couldn't also find it under hair accessories at drug store.

10. Hennared

Hennared Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've bought ones from these guys:

http://www.hisandher.com/Clips-list.aspx

(the wire combs)

I've also 'scored' on Ebay some plastic combs designed to go all the way around the head, made of plastic. I cut out pieces of them. it's a stretchy plastic. I actually like them better than the metal combs.

Either is better than clips, IMHO...

11. Vlal

Vlal Guest

12. Beliza

Beliza Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely get the metal wire combs, Sadie. I'm going to order them too. I tried them once and they worked well even on my slippery hair. I then bought the plastic ones, they didn't work for me. But I have a bottle of liquid rubber now from the crafts store, I think if I would dip them in liquid rubber, they would have much more grip... even when they are too flexible. But the liquid rubber might cause too much friction on the hair.

Just trying to think along with you... I had such pain from the clips.

13. Beliza

Dislikes Received:
    I just called a salon to ask after the wire combs. They use the diadems* cut in pieces, but they sew the "teeth" very close together. In that way, the comb will lose its flexibility and be as sturdy as the metal ones.

HTH.

*Not sure about this word as am non-native. But it's a headband that looks like a long comb and you can cut it in smaller combs :).

14. Vlal

Vlal Guest

Great info! Thanks. :bravo:

15. angies99

angies99 Guest

I did the same with my fringe.

Attached Files:

16. Vlal

Vlal Guest

I posted a link earlier in this thread to one of them... whatever they are called!

17. Beliza

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, elasticated comb hairband, apparently :mrgreen:.

18. Vlal

Vlal Guest

LOL! :hairy: I still think it should have zig-zag in the name!

19. sadie_2008

sadie_2008 Guest

Sorry im a bit confused (and dense) but what is this metal wire comb that is easier on the frontal hair? I definitely need something that causes less pull.

Pics would help please :$

I can see the pic above but which bit is the front and which is the metal comb?

:$

20. Beliza

Dislikes Received:
    The fringe can be worn in both "directions", so you can use the more narrow side as the front or the wider side. And even diagonal, I believe, but there is a video where they show the ways you can wear the fringe.