Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

wigs or no wigs?

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed Alopecians' started by bluedaughter, Apr 25, 2010.

1. bluedaughter

bluedaughter Guest

How many women on this site wear wigs? I told my husband that if my hair loss got too bad I would just have my head hair buzzed off and go around like that. He said that would look stupid. I asked what would look more stupid, long hair with a great bald spot on top or hair that has been buzzed all off. He did not have an answer to that. For you all that have wigs, do you have human hair wigs? I have never had this problem before and don't know where to turn. I have no one to go with me to find a wig if I should go that way. For the ladies on this site who do you go to for help in deciding, wig or not a wig?

2. Martha716

Martha716 Guest

Hi,

I wouldn't rush into a wig if what you are experiencing is a bald spot. First, it might grow back. Second, you can probably just get a topper of some sort that hides that one spot and clip onto your hair. Also, you could experiement with hair cuts to hide the spot.

I had a spot once that appeared....six months later the hair grew back!

I wear wigs but not all the time. I have diffuse hair loss and my hair can look and feel crap. However, I could just hide my hair loss through a different hair cut, really. It's just that the wigs look so much better and, anyway, I like having different looks!

Hope your hair decides to grow back. There are lots of options, however, if it does not. Shaving is definitely one but it doesnt' sound quite like you need that yet!

Martha

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I wear wigs, both synthetic and I have a human hair fall on it's way. Do you know what is causing the bald spot, what type of hair loss you have? Have you been to a doctor and had any blood tests run? I like my wigs, but wish I had the option of not wearing them if I didn't want to, so I guess I would say not to rush into a full wig unless you really feel you want to. They are great options, but can also be a pain.

4. Eztli

Eztli Guest

When I first joined this board I would have done anything to avoid wearing a wig. Now I am aware of the great supplemental hair options, I am eager to shave the remaining hair on my head so I can bond.

If you just have a bald spot, a topper might be a better option, that way you can blend your real hair, still wear it up, etc.

When I shave, I will be leaving a perimeter around my head so that I can blend in my bio hair with my supplemental hair. This will help it look natural. You don't need to shave if you just have one bald spot, you can use your hair to blend with supplemental hair.

5. bluedaughter

bluedaughter Guest

Thanks to Martha716, Dragonfly and Eztli for replying to my post. I have had so many blood tests this past 2 or 3 weeks and the Doctor wants me to come back for more blood to be taken. There seems to be something going on regarding my thyroid. I will be going back to see her this next week and will be getting a better picture about what is going on. The bald spot that is right on top of my head is the largest at about 3 by 4 inches and it is not just thinning it is gone. Just the other day I felt a spot on the back of my head and my husband says that it is about the size of a fifty cent piece. The one on the back of my head is down low enough that my other hair covers it. I part my hair on the side so the top spot is pretty much covered but if people are looking closely they will definitely see it.

I just get so tired of this and begin to think that I will just cut it all off and be done with it. But you all are correct in that my hair may grow back and I should wait. I will check on the the toppers so that I can blend my own hair with it. Thanks again to you all. I felt that I was going through this all alone. I know you all are not right here with me but it sure helped me to find this site and to be able to talk to someone about what is going on with me.

6. el123

el123 Guest

I ended up buying my first wig a few weeks ago. I don't think you should rush into buying a wig yet. Sounds to me like your hairloss can be fixed through medication.
    In my case I've got PCOS. and have had diffused hairloss for the past 14 years or so. The only way I can wear my hair is clipped at the back. I would love to shave it all off. But my family have not warmed to the idea and also coz i work full time i would like to hide it as much as possible.
    So my plan is to only wear my wig when i got out. at least for the moment anyway...

7. meowchica

meowchica Guest

Honestly, in my opinion, if you have Alopecia Areata, I wouldn't recommend getting a topper. The only reason I say this is because our bald spots tend to move around. If you spend a lot of money on a topper to cover the one spot, that spot might grow back and then another in a completely different part of your head might come in. I know this topic is a little old, so I don't know what you've done already. But, I think maybe you should buy a couple cheap wigs and experiment. Maybe get used to them if you do ever need them so it isn't a big thing if you ever need to switch over.

Personally, I have cheapy wigs, synthetic mono top wigs, and a human hair mono top from jon renau. For your experimenting stage, I would go with a cheapy wig. http://www.wigs.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=38 their longer styles are actually really nice considering how cheap they are. They're not perfect wigs obviously, but I seriously love mine look. Bedhead is my favorite. It doesn't look as messy in person: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... 8343_n.jpg

I was terrified of wigs until I got used to them, and honestly I love them now. I am at the point at which I don't use them during the summer, because I always wear a hat or scarf. I'm trying to transition into going bald in public, but it's hard. However, I still love my wigs and wear them the rest of the year and to any kind of event. Mono top synthetic would be the next thing up (forever young wigs say mono top but it's just a little skin top which is not changeable) - those prices range from 150 - 400 or so. Then the next thing up from that is hand tied synthetic. Those are more expensive, but I'm dying to try them because they look so so comfortable. On wigs.com, they now have a thing called "wigs tv" videos on a lot of the wigs, and you can view what the cap looks like and everything. It's really cool.

Anyway the next thing up from that would be human hair with a mono top - this is mine at my wedding: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... 1827_n.jpg that's jon renau becky, and that's not styled at all. That's what it looks like when you wet it and let it air dry. You can straighten it and blow dry it and everything too.

And if you find you really need a full wig and can afford it (and are used to wigs and know what you like), then at THAT POINT I'd go for the big bucks wigs like Flora. They look amazing, and I'm sure they're incredibly comfortable, but personally I'll never ever be able to afford one.

But I love the wigs I have - and I have quite a few.

hope this helps, if you have any questions, feel free to ask here or pm me :)

8. meowchica

meowchica Guest

oh btw, I would NOT recommend get any short styles from forever young. I was completely impressed with their long styles and completely hated the short style I got. Just to let you know :)

9. superwoman

superwoman Guest

I currently do not wear a wig but I am going to start looking into it. I have patches and there hair I have left, which is not much, is very thin. I should probably shave off what's left and put a wig on. I don't think I'm ready though.