Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Wigs technician in films, theatre & TV offers good advic

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by SallyTurney, Apr 13, 2005.

1. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

My name is Sally Turney. I am a technician working with wigs for film, theatre & tv in the UK. I am also technical consultant for a number of UK hospitals and charities. I do not make wigs or sell them (or anything else) but I do is give good, honest advice, based on my experience and expertise of working in my industry. I have a web site http://www.wigadvice.co.uk and would urge hair loss sufferers to check me out as the more people know about me the more I can help. I do not want to make profits out of you - I want to save you money and help you. Please help me spread the word by telling other sufferers and groups about me. I am on a mission! Thankyou so much, Sally

2. teester

teester Guest

To bad you don't do work in the US. Not to sound rude but if you are the real thing, the USA sure could use more people like you.

3. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

Sally

Sally here :lol: .... can you tell me if you make hair systems for partial peices (I have frontal loss ?) I am desperate to find something realistic and not "wiggy" can you create a hair line that woud look natural I have a thinning temple and frontal area as I said and I am freaking out as usual !!!

I live in london so not too far away

4. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

hi there,

Lol! I really am the real thing. I've worked with everyone from Tina Turner to the Spice Girls to James bond to Lauren Bacall. To be honest the industry is very guarded. We keep what we know to ourselves within our little community. I have never totally understood this, when there are so many people out there who can benefit from the right kind of advice, how can we sit by and keep this info to ourselves?
    wigmakers (mostly) hate me. The industry hates me, but I couldn't care less about them. I do very nicely within my job and all I care about is the people I'm helping and doing the right thing by them. I am on a mission!

For as long as I have done my job I have been contacted by people in need of advice and for years I gave it completely free but it got ridiculous after a while as I was spending money visiting people and using my phone etc, so I do make a charge now, but I think its realistic and I'm trying to save you money rather than take it. I used to advertise wig advice on eBay and people internationally could buy my advice, but I don't know...it kind of felt wrong. You are absolutely welcome to contact me though and I can maybe point you in the right direction - Sally

5. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

Sally, I could certainly point you in the direction of someone who can make it for you, but I do not make myself. I don't make or sell, I just give great advice. Check out my site and have a look at my biog for more about me.

6. MiM aussie

MiM aussie Guest

Hey Sally i have only recently joined this forum i live in west australia i tried your wb site and i could not get on. I have two failed attempts on wigs here i have petite sise head and they dont have a lot of styles here in my size. I've been browsing the net and found headcovers website and there was a nice revlon wig are they good and how safe is it to buy over the net. Verry confused and frustrated :evil:

7. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

Do you want to try my site again as you should be able to get it, or write to me on the private forum as it would be unethical to comment on an individual manufacturer so publicly! I can say I think buying over the net for wigs can be very successful, particularly if you know what you are going to buy in advance - you'd just get it cheaper. The best placesare those which offer you a return if you don't like it as it can be an expensive mistake. Ebay is always great for wigs and I know there are some OZ companies advertising on there. All the best, S

8. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

Sally hi there

I just wanted to ask your advise NOT on a place to go as I beleive I have a very good and trustworthy lady I am dealing with now I just wanted to know your opinoin on the quality of a hairline in a bonded peice ( I would go for one made for my specifications) ... I am very very very concerned that its going to look "obvious" ... I want a realistic hairline bearing in mind I would ideally want it to come down as far as the bottom of my ears so the entire "frame" of my face :(

9. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

Hi Sally (nice name that!!) Ummmmmm......it honestly depends on who makes it. You are best looking at a bit of a fringe though to conceal any rough edges. A great maker should get it 100%.

10. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

yeah brill name huh !!! :lol:

I think I would go for a fringe as I would be totally paranoid that the lace can be seen ... I have looked on toplace, farrell etc websites but they are ALL blurred to make it look better ...... and besides I wouldnt trust a place like that ...

but what I wanted to ask your experience on was really would it be noticeable at the sides (the sideburn region) .... I mean I dont want to look like I have "glued hair" if it was to get caught in the wind !

11. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

Sally you are welcome to phone me if you'd like to discuss this in more detail. You'd need to go to my web site and e mail me via that and leave me your number. To be honest, it is a case of so many uncertainties....so many different kinds of bases, how they are knotting, what you are anchoring to etc. Yes they do air brush the pictures (look at Beyonce advertising hair products for Gods sake), but in the real world it is possible to get the whole thing looking good, particularly if it is well knotted.