Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Will Doctors Prescribe Finasteride For Young Women?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by sunlit, Mar 4, 2019.

1. sunlit

sunlit Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    So I've read on male hair loss forums that finasteride can be very effective for men. I have a receding hairline in a male pattern, so it might help me. I've read that women need to take 2.5mg to 5mg to see effects, whereas men only need to take around 1mg.

The problem with this is - finasteride is known to cause birth defects if taken by pregnant women, so in general doctors won't prescribe it to women of childbearing age. But spironolactone also causes birth defects if taken by pregnant women, and doctors will very happily prescribe it to women of childbearing age if you use contraceptives. What's the difference?

I know that some women have been prescribed finasteride. Is it just a case of at a doctor's discretion? I would be very willing to give it a shot to try to recover my hairline (at 5mg) so just wondering my odds of getting it prescribed. I am 25 so I imagine a doctor is probably going to be more focused on my fertility and be unwilling to prescribe it, regardless of contraceptive use/no plans for children etc.

2. eggplant

eggplant Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am in my early 30s and had a very difficult time finding a doctor who would prescribe it for me and even when I did it was like pulling teeth to get the rx.

I agree it makes no sense that they will easily prescribe Spironolactone but not finasteride.

IMO it's worth trying to get it if you want to try it. That was just my experience; you may have an easier time. My advice is to be assertive about the fact that you want it.

sunlit likes this.
  3. sunlit

sunlit Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you. I'll try to get it, but I don't fancy my chances. NHS doctors (rightly) tend to put their patients' health over their patients' vanity, which is very moral, but not what I want! I'm willing to take my chances.

Could I ask what dose you take?

4. shira

shira New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Eggplant
    Did you have good results with finasteride? What were the side effects?
    I have it laying in my cupboard but afraid to use it
    I think I read somewhere that the fetal side affect may be permanent?

5. eggplant

eggplant Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi sorry for the late replies.
    5mg but I'm not very compliant about it.

I think it helped my hairloss at the temples but not for the diffuse hair loss or crown area. For side effects I get bloated which is why I'm bad about taking it. I have not heard of the fetal side affect being permanent.

shira likes this.
  6. shira

shira New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you

I will think about it, took more blood tests this morning and bought cava ecklonia, if you mix the powder with some oil and leave in the hair it has same benefit as finastride

Have you ever taken spirolactone?