Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Will dying my hair cause hair loss?

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by swurlzz, Jun 17, 2012.

1. swurlzz

swurlzz Guest

I've had alopecia since I was 2, I'm now nearly 17.
    My year 11 ball is in 2 weeks time and recently I cut my hair to above shoulder length, and because I still have some fairly large bald patches I can't style my hair. So I've been thinking about having highlights, but my mum is set against it as she thinks it will cause more hair to fall out.

I was just wondering whether hair dye will cause my hair to fall out? and if not what kind of hair dye is best for hair loss?

2. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    My hair and scalp tend to feel healthier after dying. Don't know why. Highlighting or lightening of any kind usually damages it more. But that's damage, not loss. There are plenty of great products out there to use on over processed hair.

3. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I spoke with my first dermatologist about this and he was quite positive about going ahead with my usual color jobs. Coloring your hair actually gives it more body. That said, I would always be sure to use a high quality product that was kindest to my hair and scalp.

4. The Chook

The Chook Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, my derm said the same. He complimented me on my colour choice!

5. WittsEnd

WittsEnd Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    hair color will not make your hair fall out. if it did we'd all be walking around with no hair

6. I am thinking about getting blonde highlights around my thinning areas this summer... dark brown hair makes it so obvious! but at the same time the darker the hair, the healthier it looks...

7. frailbizarre

frailbizarre Guest

I don't think dying your hair causes hair fall. I don't change my hair color that often, but I never experience hair loss doing it.

8. I'm having my medium brown hair dyed completely blond this friday--the reason being that my hair is over 90% grey and as soon as the grey starts growing, the contrast between brown/grey makes my very-thin and thinning hair look thinner yet. I'm not thrilled about what I'll look like with blond hair, but if it makes it look a little thicker, I'm all for it and I won't have to get it dyed as often (currently I have to get monthly root jobs)....

9. Tara101

Tara101 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Almost every hair dye contains ammonia and other harmful chemicals which may cause hair damage but not hair loss. If one is suffering through hair loss after using hair colors then they should stop using hair colors and see if the hair loss improves. This can help to find out actual reason of hair fall.

10. cselle20

cselle20 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    As the daughter of a hair stylist, I've been dyeing my hair since I was 13. When I went away to college I started touching up roots myself in between school breaks when I could go home to see my mom. This is when I noticed that when I rinsed out my color after dyeing I would lose about twice as much hair than I would in a normal shower. (This was pre-hair loss for me so twice as much was still not really A LOT.) While the hair color isn't causing hair loss, I do experience a one time increased shed when I use it. My personal theory is that this would all be hair that would have fallen out anyway in the next day or so, but the chemicals in the color kind of force them out all at once.

Since beginning my struggle with hair loss about 8 months ago I've been trying to embrace my natural very light brown hair (was dying a blonde/strawberry). Just recently my mom will put in highlights to blend my lighter ends and darker roots and create a more ombre effect. She did not extend the color up to my root, stopping about 1/4-1/2" away from my scalp. I did not experience any increased shed this time, which only reinforces my theory.

On the plus side though, color will ABSOLUTELY make your hair feel thicker!! It swells the the hair shaft and absorbs excess oil.