Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Will I recover Synthroid-induced hair loss?

Discussion in 'Medications that can cause Hair Loss' started by lily13, Jul 1, 2009.

1. FLgirl

FLgirl Guest

So... just curious, if you have low ferritin and normal TSH, you should have additional tests for thyroid?

I don't have a reason yet for my hair loss, but have ferritin of 8! My doctor has only checked TSH only and of course I was told "you are fine, TSH is normal, you hair loss is probably due to stress". I'm new to all this, but am aware that ferritin plays a role in hair growth. Thanks!

2. lizzybb

lizzybb Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I really believe what Brandi says is true. I had normal TSH, very low free T3 and free T4, and high RT3. My ferritin was in the 20's. I decided to listen to the derm and took 3 x 325mg ferrous sulfate a day for over 2 months. I re-checked my iron and it was 81. My hair still falls, but my thyroid numbers now look completely normal. And iron was the only thing I did different. So I believe that my body just couldn't process the T4 and T3 until it got enough iron.

My next step will be to get my adrenals checked. Both times they tested DHEAS, it was very low, but they never actually tested adrenals themselves, and I think that's where my next problem lies...

FLgirl, I would have them do free T3, free T4, and RT3. Just TSH is not enough to get a good picture.