Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Women Who are Wearing a System or Wig

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by stillhopeful, Apr 7, 2005.

1. stillhopeful

stillhopeful Guest

Hello-

I thought it would be nice to start a forum for women who are already wearing "something" as a cosmetic option. It's a big step to go through something like this and would be nice to chat with other women who are living with a system or wig and share what we like and what we don't like.

I am currently wearing a system from Hair Club for Women and would be happy to answer any questions for women who are thinking about it and would love to talk to other women who have already experienced this.

Stay Strong Ladies

Stillhopeful :!:

2. sessa555

sessa555 Guest

Hi there!

I am thinking about getting a bonded on system, but not from Hairclub (though the place is a bit similar). Do you have to have bangs with yours? Do they shave your head or parts of your head first? How does the part look? Do you have pics that you are willing to share? Thanks so much!

3. lilmermaid

lilmermaid Guest

So does a 'bonded' piece mean you can sleep with it, take showers? What sort of activities should you not do?
    And how much of your original hair do you keep besides the part you shave? Because it seems with Androgenetic Alopecia most women have lots of hair in the back of their head just the front and sides are thin.

4. sessa555

sessa555 Guest

The place that I am seriously considering shaves a 'halo' around your crown then uses surgical adhesive to glue the piece down. It stay glued down until your hair starts to grow out underneath, at which point it starts to shift around a bit and you go in to get re-shaved and bonded. According to HRS (the name of the place) you can do literally anything in it (swim, workout, ride motorcycles, etc) without any problem. I am going to see if I can get in contact with some of their clients to ask them the nitty gritty questions before I commit.

5. stillhopeful

stillhopeful Guest

It's true

You can do all that stuff, swim, shower, sleep. There really isn't anything you can't do. That's why this is so amazing. It gives you your life back. The only thing you wouldn't be able to do is pour babyoil over your head b/c oil loosens it up. (I know that sounds weird, but it's true) Honestly, we can do everything else!! Please feel free to ask me the nitty gritty. I would love to see you women experience the happiness that I have by wearing this system. Yeah, it's maintaince keeping up with it but sooooooo what. It's worth it. Stay Strong.

6. Etrika

Etrika Guest

Hi stillhopeful!

I would like to understand this option better, but I'm ignorant about it. Can you explain... Is your head shaved both where the piece covers and where they attach it, and then they use glues to keep it on? And then like sessa says, when your hair grows they re-glue it (and have you looked at the safety of the glues)? This is just part of the hair, right, and not like a full wig (although I have a big problem in that the texture and curl of my hair is so unusual that nothing off the shelf will come close to matching it, so pieces don't really work for me unless they're custom).

Can you still use products like Rogaine and Folligen through the top, or must one stop those? Maybe that's a silly quesiton. But how do you get to your scalp, say to wash it, if something is bonded on there?

Thanks. Sorry if these questions are tedious, I'm new to this :(

7. piperkitty

piperkitty Guest

I am wearing a piece. I am currently clipping it in, but I did have it woven for about a week. I didn't like the stress that put on my scalp. I have had a difficult time finding the right type of hair and density for my head. I am contemplating ordering a new piece from toplace, but I am uncertain how I should attach.

Stillhopeful, what is your base made of? Mono? Lace? Do you shave or cut down the hair on your crown which is not part of the track to be bonded?

Thanks,

Lisa

8. stillhopeful

stillhopeful Guest

Hello Ladies

Hopefully I answer everyone's questions. If I don't just ask me again.

About using Rogaine and other lotions while wearing the system. I'm sure you could find a way to still apply the lotions but in my experience to make the system the most comfortable and easy to maintain I stopped using products. I have ADA and basically all products out there do is possibly stop hair growth not neccesarily regrow the hair, so it was worth it "for me" to stop using rogaine and go with the system.

I usually just shave the crown where the polyfuse is applied. Ocassionally, I will shave the middle of my head but you don't have to. The system sits smoothly on your head when you trim other hairs, but again not neccessary. (I don't do any of the shaving, the hair club stylists do)

Hair Club can match ANY hair type and color. So, don't worry if you feel you wont be able to match your own hair b/c they will be able to.

Sorry if I missed any questions. It's late but I wanted to at least reply before I hit the sack. Thanks Ladies. Keep in Touch. :D

9. Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin Pie Guest

Hi ladies

I have brought a clip on topper, but can i atcch it myself! no can do. Alo I cant even style it whislt on my head or a wig stand.

I still have a frontal haie=rline, although very thin. My haie has severe thinning to the crown and the part is much too wide. I dont know the pros and cons for bonding but am scarred as I have heard this can cause further permanent hair loss. It would be intresting to hear from anyone who worn bonding for a few years who might be able to comment on this. I alwys dream one day my hair will grow back so want to protect what I have left.

Sarahx

10. Peony

Peony Guest

stillhopeful--do you have any pictures? and what do you think about the cost? did you parents pay for it? how do you see yourself paying for it for the rest of your life?

11. lace system for over 3 years

Hi, I found lace systems over 3 years ago, still wear today, I order from Toplace. I was not happy with the outcome of Farrell Hair, to over priced, Dhr was stock systems and did not hold up or good quality, I ordered samples from several other compaines, found HCM over priced. Never have worn suction caps but who can afford 3500.00 bucks.

12. Wasn't there someone around here a while ago who was really unhappy with their Hair Club piece? I would like to hear their experience as well.

-Kelly

13. I am a little different than most in the respect that I have lil or no hair growth due to Alopecia Totalis, and have had Alopecia in some form for about 20 years.

I wear a Hair system, but mine is a full cap. I can share with you what I have learned about hair systems and let you decide if this is a way for you to go. I viewed some of the ads I found here but wasnt impressed with the caps or the price.

My front is a lace front and has poly edges in the back nap. It is very similar to a partical piece but mine is a full cap instead. The lace is different than mono caps from what I have worn inside of wigs and viewed, Its thinner, and airy, when on the scalp it disappears, that is why I can wear my hair back away from the scalp. The hair is Remy hair, the only other hair I have experienced wearing is from a stock system and felt the hair to be more brittle and dry in a stock piece And Farrell Hair, Which is over priced. If I read right he uses Indian hair. And find some hair does not last as long as the remy hair. But are good for emergences.
    I have worn many wigs, there uncomfortable and dirty. And costly.

I read about other types of hair and how it is processed like European which those that wear it, have said its very fine.

I have little upkeep or time involved in maintaining, but enjoy the freedom from wearing a wig.

I glue a very thin line of glue from ear to ear, allow it to dry for a couple mintues and attach the lace to the edge of the glue. Sometimes I wear tape in the back nap, sometimes I just put couple dabs of glue for the back nap. I wear the hair in place for about 7 to 10 days. I sleep, shower, stand under a waterfall, and enjoy wearing hair 24/7 where one cant with a wig.

For complete removing and for clean up I use De Solv it from Wal Mart and Alcohol. There are a few methods.

I find any good stylist can help you apply this even a family member. I do read where HCM charges about 400 bucks a month to maintain a system. Toplace charges under 200 from what I read, I wear long hair, the longer the hair the more it cost but the ad for a partical is under 200.

From reading the boards of Toplace Most have gone or paid the high dollars for just needing or having hair, I'll stick with Toplace for under 200 and do my own maintance. Read tonight about the snaps, Dont think id go there so its gluing for now. But everyone has the right to chose a company. Just wished there was more education on it. Hope this makes sense and helps.

14. Sessa555- I too live in Oregon and have purchased an HRS system - I get it in July sometime. It is the lace one. Have you got yours? What was your experience? Did you love it? Is there anything you do not like? Did you check thier references? I met with their front desk girl who has had it for 10 years. Please, please, please let me know:) I was up til 1pm last night second guessing my decision:(

15. MOscrubGAL

MOscrubGAL Guest

Is there a website that I could go look at these options? :?:

16. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

17. MOscrubGAL

MOscrubGAL Guest

Thanks Alot Sally!! :D

18. hair piece

I have beenwearing a full wig for about 9 ys I have universalis. I have been told that I have a nice head, but I'm not comfortable enuf to go without.
    I live in the Baltimore area & I'm looking for more affordable custom pieces.

Is anyone attending the NAAF conference in FL?

19. LeighKat

LeighKat Guest

hi beautiful i live in NW Fl but my SIL lives in Gainesville....when i told her about the convention she got busy,ive never been able to attend,finances prevent it, she is working on getting us at least 2 days and 1 nite (shes a cosmestologist,and wants to help peole like us,so she's hoping her employers will pay),if all else fails we will just travel from her house and spend a day....maybe make 2 trips ....im so excited,i really hope she can make this happen but will understand if she cant.....i would love to meet others. she has told her employers im willing to have pics or whatever ,done it before for the American Cancer Society,they had a group of comestologists that do wigs hair a makeup do a "make me pretty" day for chemo patients,i called on a whim to see if i could join,really needed help with drawing on my brows and keeping them from sliding off due to the heat and humidity....they let me join in.....while there our local news station showed up,the poor chemo ladies were apalled.....so i stepped up,i could understand their feelings,i made it clear i wasnt a chemo patient but an alopecia person and talked those ladies and their efforts up as well as the ACS for putting it all together. my way of thanking them for allowing me to join....but since i did that for the entire wiregrass area to see,i have no problem with SIL's business using me to promote their efforts and business.so keeping my fingers and toes crossed they will go for her idea. are you going?
    Brightest Blessings......LeighKat

20. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone :)

I have had Alopecia Areata since I was 4 years old. I am 53 and have been AT for about 3 years and Alopecia Universalis for about a year.

I wear mostly synthetic wigs because they are easy to care for just wash and wear. I don't wear a wig 24/7 . My wig is the first thing that comes off when I walk through the door. I am more comfortable in a bandana or nothing at all. I may one day get a suction type wig for special occasions because I have heard how they are the closet thing you can get to your own hair. They are expensive and can be hot to wear though.

Beautiful Head, I am attending the NAAF conference in Tampa this year. It will be the first one I have ever gone to. I have had Alopecia Areata such a long time and yet I never knew or communicated with another person who had Alopecia Areata until about a year ago now when I joined support groups for Alopecia Areata and hairloss. Are you going and have you been before? I would love to meet you if you are going. I have made a good friend on the MSN Alopecia Areata support site who lives in Baltimore . She has Alopecia Areata but she does not have to wear a wig so may not know if places to recommend for hairpieces. I will ask her though and let you know.

Take care. Hugs. Joann