Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Working with Flora via the web

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by crazycatlady80, Dec 26, 2015.

1. crazycatlady80

crazycatlady80 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I keep hearing wonderful things about Flora on this message board. Sadly, her Los Angeles location has closed. Has anyone worked with her on the web? What is the difference between her and other high end toppers (i.e. Follea and Milano)? I'm a little nervous about ordering hair online and it not being what I wanted.

2. ladymarmalade09

Dislikes Received:
    Have you looked around on heralopecia.com? That is a great resource when it comes to buying hair. I have no experience, but I just wanted to share that resource in case you haven't looked there yet.

3. hairtothere

hairtothere Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Follea may have a sales rep that is availble to come to your home with samples. Depending on the rep they can be a lot of help and you get to touch an example of the product so it is less of a gamble in most cases. Flora is really good and I know a few people who have worked with her by phone and have done great. Milano, I'm am not a fan of at all, I just don't think their quality is good at all, but I would highly recommend Fortune Wigs (they sell toppers) they have amazing customer service and a generous return policy which you won't find elsewhere.

4. iisara21

iisara21 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Flora's wigs are amazing, but sadly, the customer service at her main New Jersey location has significantly decreased since 2008 (which is when I purchased my wig from her). I originally contacted her via phone to initiate a new order for a second wig back in March 2015. I asked her if it was possible to order a long, strawberry blonde wig to be shipped to AZ where I live. She said, "Sure! We do all colors," and she had me follow up with her husband, David, for my measurements and more details on the specific shade I wanted. David also confirmed via email the next day that they would be able to make a long, strawberry blonde wig for me. After emailing David my measurements and 2-3 weeks of back and forth conversations about the color which ultimately ended in me having to print out a color picture of the shade that I wanted and snail mail it out to NJ for him, he finally told me that it would be impossible to get me a long wig in that color. David didn't even bother to initiate this statement himself. After nearly 2 full weeks of radio silence on their end, I finally emailed them and asked David if he'd received the printout of the color I wanted, and the reply he sent back was along the lines of, "Oh yeah, I did receive your printout in the mail. We can't do that color. You'd have to purchase a wig in either blonde or dark red and take it to your stylist to have it colored and cut the way you want it." BTW, Flora cut, colored, and mailed my first wig to me for no extra charge back in 2008. I even mailed it back out to her a year later in 2009 to be washed and re-styled, and she did that for me for free, too. I guess the times have definitely changed...

The price David quoted me this time was 3 times higher than the price I paid for my first Flora wig, and now they weren't even going to cut or color the wig for me. Still I said, "Okay," to this crazy plan and told David that my stylist preferred starting with a blonde wig rather than a dark red wig. This discussion took place during the first week of May 2015. David said it would take 8-12 weeks to source the long, blonde hair I was requesting and construct the wig. I let him know that was fine. 12 weeks passed. No further emails from David. I emailed him to ask what the status was on my order. No response. I waited 5 days, then I called Flora directly. She said that David was out of town but still checking his emails regularly, so I should try emailing him again. This time David responded within a few hours, but all his reply said was, "Still waiting to source the long, blonde hair." I asked him to please let me know as soon as he got the hair in stock. This was at the end of July. I waited again until the end of September, then sent him another email stating that this seemed to be taking longer than originally anticipated and asked him for an update on how much longer it would take to get this wig. After a few days, he replied with, "I should be getting enough long, blonde hair in mid-October to make 2 full wigs." Again, I replied immediately with, "That's great! Please contact me as soon as you get the hair in stock so we can complete my order." Waited until the beginning of this month. Never heard from him.

Since I figured back in September that he wouldn't bother to let me know once the hair came in, I contacted Follea and asked if it was possible to get a long, strawberry blonde wig from them. A Follea representative emailed me the same day to give me the names and contact info for 2 authorized Follea dealers in my area, and I set up an appointment with one of them for this morning, actually! I now have a gorgeous Follea Aero-2 wig in C5055 (very close to the color I'm looking for) on order for half of the price Flora's husband quoted me, plus the salon owner who's ordering the wig for me is going to cut and style it for me at my next appointment on Tuesday morning.

The moral of this story is, if you're looking for a gorgeous, high-quality European human hair wig or topper, Flora does still provide gorgeous pieces, but you'd probably have better luck getting a stock piece from them than a custom piece. I have many, many pictures of me wearing the Flora wig I bought back in 2008 on here. Just search under my old posts to see them. I'd be happy to take some pics of my new Follea wig for you once I get it next week, but I'd definitely go with Follea over Flora. You'll get your wig much faster and at half the price that Flora's currently quoting.