Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Working with my texture change

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by kimm, Feb 4, 2010.

1. kimm

kimm Guest

I used to have poker straight hair that I could leave air dry and it looked great.

Fast forward to my mid 20's and I start to notice a slight wave developing and begin to see that I need to blow dry my hair to keep it completely straight.

Now even when I blow dry with a round brush I can see that it looks fluffy and slightly wavy. I guess the plus side to it is that it gives the appearance of more body. I can tell that my hair is probably pretty wavy naturally now and unfortunately naturally frizzy. :thumbdown2:

I'm wondering now if I should try to work with the wave. I used to have permed hair in highschool (don't judge me! It was the 80s!) But that was pre hair loss and me using goofy oils and concoctions in my hair.

Anyone have tips for how to work with wavy hair and get it looking nice? (not frizzy or stringy) I'm thinking that if it looks okay on me it might end up being less damaging and hopefully the illusion of more hair than I actually have.

I keep seeing products in the store, but don't want to drop big bucks on a possibly failed experiment.

Do I need to avoid running a brush through it? How about blow drying? (not a ton of time in mornings) How do you get it to look nice while using icky hair loss treatments (right now I'm using an essential oil mix with monistat on my scalp after every shower)

Any and all tips welcome!!!! :woot:

2. curlylocks

curlylocks Guest

Kimm, you are going to love going curly/wavy. After you wash, add a good gel or curl lotion. schrunch it gently all over with your hands and let it dry naturally. Don't brush - you will lose definition and it will frizz. Just fluff and adjust with your fingers. If you want to blow dry, add your product, turn your head upside down and blow dry on low heat with a diffuser on your dryer while schuinching with the other hand.

3. ToTheLighthouse

ToTheLighthouse Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have hair like this. I find if I put it up with some hair sticks before it is totally dry and then leave it for a while it comes out looking less like I've been attacked with a lawn mower.

4. Kenzie22

Kenzie22 Guest

I like bumble and bumble brilliantine. Put a little on before you blowdry, or put a little on after when your hair is dry. totally gets rid of the frizzies for me. Its pricey, but you only use a tiny bit and it lasts forever.

5. angel706

angel706 Guest

A few years ago, before my loss progressed to the point where I needed to wear supplemental hair, I read a book called "Curly Girl" by Lorraine Massey. It was kind of a curly/wavy hair-care bible of sorts.

The main things I got from it were: Don't use shampoos with sulfates, use a clear gel for styling, don't blowdry, and avoid styling products with "cones" in them (basically, any ingredient that ends in "cone." It worked pretty well for me, but when I decided to cut my hair to pixie length to better hide the fading front hairline, I got away from that program for a year or so.

I actually follow some of this advice now that my hair's longer again (a little past chin-length), even though I'm wearing my hair straighter to match my topper. I use the DevaCurl "no-poo" conditioning cleanser (something like Wen would be comparable) and I condition the heck out of my hair. Although I do blow-dry, I've found a nice styling cream that works well for me (gel didn't because I didn't want to wear my hair wavy).

I will say that all the conditioning products have made my hair a lot softer. And any time I do wash my hair with regular sudsing shampoo? Oh, dear...my hair is a mess for 2-3 days afterward.

It took me a little trial and error to figure out what worked for me...hopefully you'll figure out what works for you without too many misses on the way. Good luck!

6. miche777

miche777 Guest

You're still using the Monistat on your head? :jump:

That still cracks me up. :)

Oh, my hair story is a lot like yours....not straight, not curly....what to do?!? (and lots of perms in the 80s! :whistle: ) I used to get a pretty good long bob with a few layers in it that I could scrunch up and it gave me good volume and coverage. I only combed it after the shower....no brushing or anything when dry. But sometimes, I'd take the time to straighten it. Now....alas, this lady hacked off my hair and I look like I have an afro..it kinks up like crazy...hmm..maybe its the humidity in FL now... :shock:

7. kimm

kimm Guest

Thanks girls!

I have to stop by Target tomorrow. I'll hit the salon aisle and see what I come up with! :)

8. miche777

miche777 Guest

Frizz ease mouse for curly hair....

9. kimm

kimm Guest

Sweeet. Thanks Miche!

and yes. I'm still putting "hoo hoo cream" on my head. :$

I got mad the other day because I needed to buy some, but there was a male employee in the "embarrassing lady products aisle" stocking the shelves. I just couldn't bring myself to get it in front of him! I'll also only get it if there's a lady checker. They're probably wondering why I'm doing that messy cream instead of the one day stuff! On the plus side, I've mastered buying embarrassing products with a very nonchalant look and attitude. Still won't buy condoms though!

..... okay, that was probably tmi. :mrgreen:

10. Hennared

Hennared Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I *love* my natural wave - I've always had it, but it has become more pronounced since I started losing hair. But those waves give me volume, and allow me to get my hair to nearly look 'normal'.
    (well, so long as I use plenty of concealer along my part)
    Here is what I do to work my waves:

I oscillate between sulfate free and gentle sulfate shampoos,

I 'plop' my hair in a microfiber towel, after washing and combing VERY gently with a very wide tooth shower comb. (plopping is basically, scrunching all the hair into a towel and 'turbaning' it up).
    I leave it in the towel for at least 20 minutes - the microfiber towel helps to avoid frizz while the wave is being 'set' in the towel. After I take it out of the towel, I fluff it, but I do not comb it any more until it is dry.

If I am in a hurry to get it dry, I blow it dry with a diffuser attachment on my blow dryer;

Also, before wrapping it in my microfiber towel, I use Aubrey's "B5 Design gel" which is a nice gel w/o chemical cr@p I don't want in my hair, that actually (for me) works to help set my waves w/o weighing my hair down.

OH, and when I do comb - I use a wide tooth horn comb (made of horn), it does not snag. I never brush.

That's what helps me, at least on wash days, to get some extra fullness out of my now wussy thin hair.

11. SherryBerry

SherryBerry Guest

KIMM,
    Yur hair is exacly like mine in the way yu describe the progression.

I have kind of got it down pat just how to work with mine now depending what "LOOK" I want.

i also have to point out I think my hair is all over more lightweight then yours... but I'm only judging from your pictures s I can't really say. I just know anything and everything makes my hair weighed down or greasy so the stuff I recommend is always SUPER lightweight.

If I want to super enhance the frizz into curls I use Carol's Daughter spray in and then scrunch and air dry. This gives me tousled waves but they don't look frizzy. I will say it has this musky perfumy smell but it works. You ca not comb afterwards or it will be a mess.

If I want Glossy straight hair(which is IMPOSSIBLE on it's own nowadays) I use the PANTENE silicone drops and blow dry with warm with a boar bristle round brush. I looks really nice and lie a mgazine ad after that one.

if I Don't want to do anything (which is most of the time). I let airdry most of the way and when slighty damp spray with Aveeda natural leave in conditioning spray. i Comb it through and then scrunch and let air dry. This makes my hair silky with a slight bit of body that falls very natural and pretty. I can comb or brush all i want and it pretty much stays like my hair was born that way.HAHAHAHHA(sometims with this way I use the blowdryer slighty on my bangs to get the cowlick out but te rest airdries with a scrunch

12. MarshaMarsha

MarshaMarsha Guest

My hair always had a lot of body and bounce but was never curly. Used to pay good money to get perms. Lost all of my hair last year due to Alopecia Areata, and luckily it's grown back now. And get this - it's full of curly ringlets! (It's also very gray but oh well, at least it's MY hair!) On the down side, the texture is very fine (used to be coarse) and much thinner than it used to be.

I'm afraid to do too much styling with heat, etc., so I basically shampoo every morning, towel dry, and then use a Pantene styling "pomade" which keeps the curls from frizzing but is not at all crunchy when it dries. And the best part - it's only like $4 and I can buy it at Walmart!

13. kimm

kimm Guest

Okay, got me some frizz ease curl spray.

Will report back, when I give this a go (probably next week when I don't have any events I need to be at and can go with my ponytail if it's a disaster)

My hair just feels so damaged and frizzy lately that I'm hoping this will help by avoiding the frequent heat styling.

I'll just skip my oils on those mornings and apply them at night.

Thanks for the tips! I'll keep coming back to this thread for the different suggestions if this looks like it might work.

14. SherryBerry

SherryBerry Guest

Now see... I HATE Frizz ease :crazy:

15. kimm

kimm Guest

uh oh! :(

I got it before I saw your recommendations though!

16. miche777

miche777 Guest

I don't like the spray, but I do like their mousse....I have to blowdry with a diffuser though.