Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

would dying my hair blonde help conceal my bald spots?

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by getlostdancing, Apr 13, 2011.

1. I have very dark brown hair and very pale skin. I lose my hair in patches because of stress, mostly on the sides and top of my head. The hair I have is strong and I've dyed it before with no problems. The only actual problem was blonde highlights that turned my hair orange.
    But since my hair is so dark and I'm tired of wearing hats, does anyone know if dying it blonde to blend in with my paleness would help disguise bald spots?

thanks so much!

2. Greene

Greene Guest

Some ladies have reported they didn't notice their hair loss quite so much until they dyed their hair a darker color, so it seems to be a logical conclusion.

However, I think it also depends on how you wear your hair: if you have sort of "fluffed up" hair where people would be seeing the scalp behind the hair (like fluffy bangs and then hair loss behind), I think darker hair would be better. If your hair is flatter and you're trying to hide the scalp around the existing hair, (like with a widening part) then I'd say blonde would probably be useful.

Hopefully that makes sense. =\

3. Kristi

Kristi Guest

Hello,

I can tell you from experience, that I did not notice my hair loss until I dyed my hair from Platinum blonde back to my natural dark brown/black color. I would only notice my scalp if they over-processed, which happened a few times. It's an optical illusion. It gives the illusion that you are only seeing your scalp because your hair is so light (if that makes sense). One mistake I made was letting them put the color dye directly on my scalp to hide my roots. I would not recommend this as I think it was really damaging, not only to my hair but my scalp. I am pale too, but I could get away with the Platinum look, although I looked a little washed out. My hair looked good though. I didn't have as much loss back then, only diffuse thinning, so it will probably depend on that as well. Good luck!

4. ameira

ameira Guest

i am naturally dark but have always chopped and changed from blonde to brown over the years. when my hair began thinning i got highlights it definitley gives it more depth than a block colour and the blonde is closer to the colour of my scalp. also with the brown hair my hair wud get greasy really quickly, the bleaching drys out the hair a bit more.
    i dont have patches of hair loss but im sure if u went lighter it would blend in with ur scalp more.

ameira
    x

5. curly locks8

curly locks8 Guest

Even though I HATE going to the salon now, getting my hair highlighted always makes me feel better about my hair. The highlighting is on foil, not the scalp. For me it makes me see my scalp less. And the chemicals make my hair feel better for the first 3 weeks or so. Again, I HATE going into a salon now, being so crazy conscience of how thin my hair is. I'm in search of finding someone who might do it at my house....

6. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've been doing my own hair forever. I'm naturally a dark brunette with red flecks. There are positives and negatives for both blonde and dark colours. With highlighted, as mentioned, it will add depth and with more than one colour, tricks the eye (skin could be highlight, darkest colour could be thickness etc). With Blonde, it will definitely conceal your thin spots better than a dark colour. The cons are: if your hair is naturally dark, you're looking at major upkeep with your roots when they reveal your thinning again. Also, with those lovely whispies and generally thinner hairs, they will all but (appear to) disappear, creating the look of less hair.. around the temples, hairline etc. With darker hair, those little hairs and hairs you didn't know you had will be more visible.. more hairline, more temple area, more part.. but then the contrast will show your thinning. the bonus for dark hair for ME is that I rarely have to redye and it's SO much easier to use concealers. It's much less work for me, but I just don't prefer darker hair on me.

I say try some carefully placed highlights. But the choice is up to you based on the pros and cons. Thankfully whichever you choose can be redone if it doesn't work out. good luck :)