Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Yasmin, Androgenetic Alopecia And Te In Peri Menopause

Discussion in 'AGA Related Blood Work and Doctors' started by Jtilly, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Jtilly

Jtilly Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all!
    I am really growing desperate here with the amount of hair loss that has increased over the last week!
    So I was diagnosed with early menopause back in May and put on bio identical hormones (estradiol patch for 7 weeks and Prometrium for 2 weeks). Those meds did not agree with me, had many bad side effects. Doctor took me off about 6 weeks ago.
    I tried just progesterone alone about 2 weeks ago for 7 day but still had icky side effects.
    Now doctors are suggesting I use BCP (Yasmin). The dermatologist said she thinks I have androgenetic alopecia and TE. (Took a biopsy that will come back next week)
    She said I need to go on 50mg spironolactone, rogaine and Yasmin.
    In this last week, especially last couple of days my hair is shedding at record pace. At this rate my hair will need to be shaved off by next week!
    I have tried so hard to remain optimistic but hope is all but gone at this point along with my hair!
    This was not something that happened slowly. I had massively thick hair in December, by February it seemed mildly thin, by May they had me on hormones, by first week of July shedding increased and now as of this week it’s massive shedding daily.
    Has this happened to anyone else?
    If I hop on Yasmin will this shedding stop? I’m totally losing my mind!
    Please someone tell me if Yasmin will help a hormonal TE shed or is it just going to make it way worse?
    I really hope someone can weigh in on this.
    Thank you!

2. electra

electra Member

Dislikes Received:
    I went to three dermatologists and nobody took a biopsy of my scalp. What do they see in a biopsy? It's obvious to me (from the tiny hairs growing in where long ones used to be) that miniaturization is happening. What else could they find out? Curious.

Also, what bad side effects did you experience on Prometrium? I felt exhausted. I'm sure i tried it at night, but I'll try it again, maybe night would be better. Though I doubt it.

I'm curious about Spironolactone, too...The Rogaine is hard to stick with as it's every day, takes the color out of my hair (so I'll have gray, thinning hair, not brown!), and gives me weird eye/skin issues. But...I don't know...

Wish I could give advice about Yasmin. I haven't explored BC in many, many years...