Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Year on Rogaine and no results

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by eggplant, Jun 27, 2017.

1. eggplant

eggplant Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've tried Rogaine for a year now and I don't think I've had any positive results. I'm too afraid to stop because I don't want it to make things worse, but I guess I'm just curious if anyone had late results.

2. psunday64

psunday64 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello,
    June 25th was my two year mark on Rogaine 5% twice a day and I think I had late results. My hair got much thinner on top and I could never tell if it was really helping during the first year. But I continued because I had read that sometimes it takes up to two years and my derm always said it was working even when I wasn't really sure. But I took a lot and I mean a lot of pics daily and I can see a difference from my very first pics in June 2015. My hair lost is mainly on the top front middle about a inch and half back the rest has remained thick all over. I think I caught it before it got too bad even though it was bad enough for me. All of my hair hasn't filled back in but I got some back and it seems to be maintaining. From what I have read you will never get all of it back :(. I just use a little batisse brown dry shampoo to conceal my hairline and I am good to go. I don't really worry about it as much as I did which is a nice stress relief.

mcat11 likes this.
  3. mcat11

mcat11 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    You use 5% 2x a day foam?

I am thinking of upping to 2x..do you use 1 cap or 1/2 each time?
    any negative sides upping dose?

also are you on any anti androgen in addition to the rogaine?

4. psunday64

psunday64 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    You use 5% 2x a day foam? Yes I do - I use the actual Womens Rogaine brand.

I am thinking of upping to 2x..do you use 1 cap or 1/2 each time? I don't know the actual amount - I part my hair down the middle and just apply it along the part and I put a little extra drops at my hairline where it is thinnest and I just take my finger and press the foam down. And wash my hands.
    any negative sides upping dose? I haven't had any side affects and I started with 2x a day and have always did it 2x day - only on days I get my hair highlighted I don't apply it.

also are you on any anti androgen in addition to the rogaine? I am - I am on 2.5 mg finesteride and have been on it for two years now. No negative side affects from that either.

My blood test two years ago when this all started only showed low thyroid, low vit D (18) and basically no estrogen. So my doctor put me on Nature Throid for my thyroid and a vitamin A-D-K, and I decided on HRT myself, not sure if I will continue on it cause I'm not sure if it is helping. My gyno says it is but my dermatologist says it probably isn't. So I will probably go off of it at some point and see. Also I was always in the pre-diabetes stage and on and off Metformin for 5 years at that point and I decided to just stay on it at 500mg because I know they put people with PCOS on it which I thought it might help me too. Even though no autoimmune diseases were found. I just wanted to hit it at all angles. I don't have hair loss in my family that I know of or could see two years ago. Although my mothers hair is starting to thin at 79 years old and she was recently diagnosed with alzheimers disease so who knows??

I had my hair highlighted today and I can always tell really well how my hair is doing when my hairdresser does it and straightens it for me. I am happy to say that it looked really good after she was done and unless you got really close to me and look at my hairline upclose you wouldnt know. My hairline is thin (about a inch wide) but maybe only a half inch back now. So so glad. It seems to keep getting better and my derm told me that Rogaine will keep working and that it will only keep getting better if I continue to do the work! Being consistent everyday she says is the key!! I know everyone is different and it is so so hard waiting it out! I mean it was a hard two years GF! Good luck and I hope I am helping!!

mcat11 likes this.
  5. mcat11

mcat11 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    It is really great to read you are doing so well.

I do a lot of research and I am a regular poster on the mens forum for about a year now..

LOL I am a woman but I feel a little schooled in 'Bro Science' BUT of course I have no idea how accurate my information is so take it with a grain of salt.

Estrogen is very important for women and hair growth, the drop off of it is why so many women lose hair--so be careful if you are currently replacing it if you go off it you may lose some ground with your hair..i am sort of surprised and confused your dermatologist said this to you. (of course does not mean they are wrong just going by what i have learnt in past year)
    https://www.hairlosstalk.com/studies/womens/topical-estrogen-womens-hair-loss/
    Topical estrogen is something I consider at some point right now I am doing topical Spironolactone and will be adding topical finasteride

I am glad you are doing well with your hair..I would be afraid to change anything since hair is so fickle to everything.
    Are you afraid for your health to stay on HRT? I have hesitated going on oral birth control due to this.

I never heard of metformin for hair loss treatment, I only ever hear that it can in some small cases cause opposite. I think it is only for sugar if pre diabetic--but not sure.
    If I am wrong and it actually helps women with hair loss would love to learn more about that.

6. psunday64

psunday64 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    mcat11,

Lol! I know what you mean! I researched and studied a lot about hair in the last two years! Went to several different types of doctors and learned as much as I could to understand what is happening to me. Most of what we have to go on is with men because they can keep their hair if they stay with the big three most of the time. So yes I really ran with that and applied it.

Yes estrogen is very important to hair and yes that is why I went on HRT. My gyno says its very important and that yes we lose hair when our estrogen levels drop. My dermatologist said that because she prescribes off of actual scientific data results and their haven't been any studies proving that estrogen helps to regrow hair. She said it definitely helps us to keep our hair but not proven to regrow it. So I don't know but I will show her the article you sent.

It took two years for me to regrow my hair and it scares me to change anything. But yes I am also scared of HRT and what may happen if I stay on it long term. So many contradictions when it comes to HRT, not sure who to believe because my gyno says it is absolutely safe and my internal medicine doctor says I shouldn't stay on it more than five years?? So who knows, I don't. But it is probably a gamble I am willing to take cause I am much happier with hair! Lol! Hopefully there will be a hair loss cure soon and I wont have to make that decision.

Since I was staying in that pre-diabetic zone, I just decided to stay on the Metformin for good. I don't think it really helps my hair but helps to stabilize my blood sugar which in turn helps my hormones as a whole and then maybe that helps my hair. Don't know but I am just trying to control and manage everything that was out of balance in my body.

:)