Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

young tween girls with alopecia - need pen pal

Discussion in 'Teens and Twenties Alopecians' started by youngone, May 3, 2011.

1. youngone

youngone Guest

My 8 year old daughter has alopecia and all her hair fell out this year within 3 weeks. It has been so hard on us all. Are there any other young girls that have gone through this as well.? My daughter could use a pen pal to talk about it.

2. RugBug

RugBug Guest

My best wishes go out to that brave young girl you have! Just tell her to keep smiling...it'll all be okay!

3. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi,

I'm sorry to hear your daughter lost all her hair in 3 weeks. So , so difficult. It will certainly help her to connect with others who have gone through the same experience.

There's a wonderful organization called NAAF that offers so much in the way of support and information for those with Alopecia Areata. They have a pen pal program for anyone under 17. I'm including a link to the pen pal page on their website.

http://www.naaf.org/site/PageServer?pag ... ces_penpal

Hope this info helps.

Hugs,
    Joann

4. youngone

youngone Guest

Thank you! I will definitely try the penpal program. That might be perfect for her! Just so she knows that she is not alone will be so helpful. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

5. Hayley

Hayley Guest

Big hugs to her xxxxxxxxxxxx

6. WorriedMom

WorriedMom Guest

I hope that will help her. Just knowing that you are not alone makes things a little more bearable.

7. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Worried Mom, :grouphug:

I hope it is some comfort for you to know that with the promotion of Alopecia Areata awareness and support available nowadays young children , teens and young adults will grow up stronger and more confident than those of us like myself diagnosed some 55 years ago.

I also completely forgot to tell you about the Childrens' Alopecia Project founded by parents of young daughter with Alopecia Universalis. They are from Philadelphia and hold many functions and events to promote awareness & raise self esteem in children who have Alopecia Areata. They have a wonderful Alopeciapalooza event each year. This year's event is taking place Aug 18- 21st in Hamilton , Ohio. Here is their website:

http://www.childrensalopeciaproject.org/cap/

Hugs,
    Joann

8. sosadgirl

sosadgirl Guest

Please give your little sweetheart a squeeze from me. My heart hurts for her. I would gladly take what she has so she didn't have to go through it. It is so much harder for a child.

Tell her to try and keep her chin up. Try lots of humor and keep reminding her....She is not defined by her hair.

I think you are doing her a great service by reaching out to other children going through the same thing. That will offer a lot of comfort for her.

Best of luck!

9. mbro96

mbro96 Guest

Hi there, I am 14 and I totally understand what she is going through. I have lost over 1\2 of my hair over the last three months. It has become really thin all on top with large patches along my hair line. I am now looking into getting a topper/extensions, which are highly recommended on here.

I started school this week and it was filled with awkward stares and questions like "what happened to your hair?" These type of things are very hurtful, especially in high school when looks are everything. I have learned to be strong, but am going to a therapist to help with the emotional struggles that come along with hair loss. I would love to talk to your daughter, if would like:)

10. Taybug98

Taybug98 Guest

Hi,
    I am 13 years old and I have alopecia. I was diagnosed with it when I was 11. It has been very hard on my family and especially me. When I turned twelve my hair grew back and I was fine, but recently it has come back. I know what your daughter is going through and it can be hard. Please give her my best wishes, and tell her that everything will be okay in the end, if it's not okay, it's not the end. I would love to speak with her if it would help any:)

11. Zoe

Zoe Guest

:( That must have been *so* hard to lose it so quickly (and I'm assuming unexpectedly) like that. I just posted a huge reply to another post in this section on what I've found to be the best options as far as wigs (There are lots and lots of options!) I've been researching for 10 years (I lost my hair for the first time when I was 17) so I'm hoping that my experience helps people navigate the treacherous world of wig buying. A lot of wigs are truly horrible, and it's easy to get taken advantage of (see: ripped off) by "medical" wig places, but there are some really great options out there too. Here's a link to the other post:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=20405

Although I'm sure she's just as pretty without hair, I know it can be hard to feel that way for some (and especially for kids who just want to look like their friends!) I hope this helps.

<3

12. adago

adago Guest

It is so hard. I went through it at age 8 and lost all my hair within a summer. Today, I wear a wig and lead a confident, fulfilling life - how I got here - I don't know (God, good family, friends)? Unfortunately, my daughter started losing it at age 8, after some topical steroids and light treatments, it came back but has started falling out again this year and is not coming back. She is now 11 and often very angry - she doesn't want to do any more meds or light treatments, she doesn't want to wear a topical piece and doesn't want to go see a derm. I have offered for her to talk to other kids with alopecia and she wants nothing to do with it because I think the reality scares her. I have not forced anything - but this in between phase when she is hoping it will grow back, constantly thinking it wont and want to do nothing about it - is so hard. I hug her a lot and try to let her be sad when she needs to - but wish I knew how to help her start to move on. I keep telling her, I made it - that she can too.