Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Your Favorite Shampoos/conditioners For Thinning Hair?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by ladyfish75, Sep 4, 2020.

1. ladyfish75

ladyfish75 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone,

I'm a 45 yo female who has suffered chronic TE off and on since the age of 19. Now that I'm in peri-menopause, it's gotten much, much worse -- back to clumps in the shower and hair shedding all day long. The last few months have been dreadful. The texture of my hair has also changed dramatically -- very limp and dry and frizzy no matter what I do or products I use.

Do some of you have some favorite go-to's for shampooing? I am not a frequent shampooer and use dry shampoo most days... I'm hoping to find a shampoo that might help with thinning and/or increase my hair volume, and a conditioner that won't weigh my hair down.

Thanks in advance!

2. Delaine

Delaine New Member

Dislikes Received:
    According to a scalp biopsy I too suffer from chronic TE. Stress is my worst enemy and my hair loss changes day to day depending on my anxiety and stress levels. It is the worst when I become obsessed over my hair.

Anyways, I did some research and there is at least one study that has found shampoos containing Pyrithione zinc 1% help with hair loss. I have always tried to use natural shampoos but thought I would try Head and Shoulders Supreme Purify & Hydrate. I chose this formula because it is free from silicones, phosphates, parabens, phthalates and dyes. I have heard bad things about Head & Shoulders so it took me a long time to convince myself to try it. I wash my scalp first with Head & Shoulders and then do the ends of my hair with a more moisturizing shampoo. I was afraid Head & Shoulders would dry my hair. I finish the ends with a conditioner I bought at a Natural Health Store. I find Head & Shoulders has helped with my hair loss. Although I don't have dandruff my sometimes irritated scalp feels better also.

The other thing that has helped is washing my hair more often and keeping it free from products. I wash my hair with shampoo every other day and in between rinse it with water. I need to style it every day because it is also limp and dry on the ends but my scalp is oily. Dry shampoo would probably cause more hair loss for me. Keeping my scalp clean seems to help with my hair loss.

If you would like me to send you a link to the study please let me know. You should be able to search hair loss and zinc 1% and find it. There are many shampoos out there that contain Pyrithione zinc 1% but this one seems to work for me.

I also take flax seed oil and find it helps keep my hair in better condition.