Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Your Opinion on Spironolactone?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by mrvitous26, Oct 16, 2015.

1. mrvitous26

mrvitous26 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all,

So I have been on 50 mg of Spironolactone for about a year now... I am debating if I want to go off because if it really is truly helping my hair, obviously I don't want to mess it up. I have dealt with a lot of shed the last 2 months, some of it may be seasonal, some of it just may be natural because I have heard women say on here that they experienced a bad shed 1 year into it... on that note. For those of you having positive results with Rogaine - how bad would you say your shed was??? I would say mine has been pretty bad so I have lost a lot of weight/volume but I do see it all growing back in. Some of the hair is lighter, kind of like how it was when I first started. (Peach fuzz...) I see all different kinds of lengths coming out... Is this supposed to be good? There are a ton of short hairs.

Back to Spironolactone topic. So I think I want to try going off because my success could be mostly from Rogaine... However, I think I am going to get back to using Rogaine 2x daily for at least 3-6 months FIRST... Then maybe I will try it and if it results in an increase in shed... then I will know it is most likely from the Spironolactone then...

I just want to know your opinions with Spironolactone. Do you think it works? Or not? And why? How many mg are you on and how long have you been on it?

TIA,

<3

2. bc2005

bc2005 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think 50mg will do much of anything. Will your doctor up it to at least 100mg?

3. Anya_B

Anya_B Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've been on various doses for 4 months and still shedding. The shed goes up and down which is new and I think I do see more regrowth, that's pretty much it regarding hair. It did clear my face and back acne and reduce body hair. The only side effect I have is menstrual disturbance which is going back to normal now. I'm going to continue until I'm at least 3 months on 200 mg.

4. mrvitous26

mrvitous26 Established Member

Dislikes Received:

Why would I do that if I have seen so much improvement? The shed may have to do with going down to once a day on Rogaine... I think the Spironolactone has made my skin feel sensitive/dryer so I don't like this... I am debating if I should go off or not because if it is the Rogaine only that is working then why be on it...

We will see. I guess the only thing I can do is wait it out some and go back to two times a day with Rogaine and see if it makes a difference. If it does then I will experiment and go off of Spironolactone. The less things I can be on the better...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for sharing. Are you also using Rogaine?

Unfortunately this is so much trial and error. :(