Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Yubel - Age 24, possible TE/CTE but a bit complicated

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by yubel, Apr 12, 2015.

1. yubel

yubel New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello,
    Firstly please forgive me as I posted in the wrong section before. Here's my story with additions:
    I'm a 24 yr old university student from Central Europe. I study science in a really strict atmosphere so i'm under an incomprehensible amount of stress every day, especially during exam periods. Unfortunately this led me to stop caring about eating habits thus i practically lived off junk food for a good while. However, this January I noticed an abnormal amount of hair shedding. This happened after a hair cut (waist length to mid-back length). I find it important to note that I did not comb my hair regularly before because of breakage, so maybe I simply never noticed the increased amount of shedding. Also, at the same time I developed severe itching, burning on the top of my head, dandruff and a smelly, oily scalp just 1 day after shampooing. So I went to a dermatologist, who diagnosed me with telogen effluvium (light pull test) and gave me sulfur shampoo, Nizoral and a mixed solution containing salicylic acid and Dermovate (clobetasol corticosteroid) for seborrheic dermatitis. I told him my fears about Androgenetic Alopecia (even without family predisposition) and he said yes, my part is wider, my temples receded a bit and I have miniaturized hairs but under 20% amount and he thought it could be because of the ongoing telogen hair loss. I lose hairs at all lengths, but what worries me most is the small, 1-inch wispy weak ones. I had a blood test in March that revealed severe iron deficiency (serum iron 3.5, serum ferritin 24.8) and slightly higher TSH (4.45). I went to an endocrinologist to address the latter issue but he asked me to "wait and see" as other thyroid-related hormones were within range (mid-range). I've been taking iron pills for a month now and eating as healthily as possible (also vit D, B, zinc, selenium and biotin supplements). I plan to call my derm tomorrow again as my SD is not getting better (okay, it's killing me
    :( ), bug him again about the small hairs, miniaturization and Androgenetic Alopecia. I'm really afraid it will never stop.
    Additions: I have always been on the "hairy" end, meaning I already had some leg hair when I was 7 years old. My hair is originally very dark but I started greying at age 14 (as my grandmother). Lately I noticed the the greying accelerated and my body hair also became a bit sparser. I tried birth control pills at age 18 (boyfriend forced me) but stopped after 1.5 months of bleeding and other complications (following this I suffered from candida infections for 3 years!). I swore I would never touch hormones again.

Insights are welcome. Thanks for reading and all the best for you,

Yubel

2. Roxana

Roxana Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Yubel,

From reading your story, I think your hair loss is related to stress and lack of nutrition perhaps due to improper diet.
    My own hair loss also started with SD. After 1.5 year, my SD is still there! Sooner you treat it, better the chance you can get rid of it. Try to stick to the medication for SD treatment and overcome it.
    I have read that SD cause can be stress, lack of UV and coldness. All these 3 were applicable in my case.
    I have also read on this website that the effect of iron shortage on hair mimics Androgenetic Alopecia.
    Take care of your diet, iron and stress and hopefully it will be fine.
    I am no much familiar with the BCP thus I can't give any opinion on it.
    Best of luck with your derm and update us.

3. yubel

yubel New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Roxana,

Thank you for your reply, it really means a lot. As far as improper diet goes, I actually spent weeks only eating pizza slices, maybe some chocolate and other pastries/sweets. Thinking back, it's almost a miracle I didn't end up with something much worse.
    You could be right on the causes of SD, as I was in the middle of my most stressful exam period so far. I also did not wear a hat when going out in the cold. Lack of UV - well, yeah, I like to shut myself in my apartment.
    Right now I feel quite good after rethinking my diet (I needed around 12 hours of sleep to function at the time my iron deficiency was discovered and was still exhausted after). I don't even know how I got through all 9 of my exams like that.

A question: how is your hair loss now, after 1.5 years? (pattern, amount lost daily, etc)

4. yubel

yubel New Member

Dislikes Received:
    update

Ok, so I decided to make an update, as it might help some of you: today I went to an endo who is a good friend of our family to get my blood drawn. I asked him about iron deficiency and what looks like hair miniaturization and he said IT IS DEFINITELY POSSIBLE to see underdeveloped, very short, thin, almost translucent hairs with low ferritin. What's more, I also had a derm appointment today, and he told me EXACTLY THE SAME THING. A very oily scalp and seb derm can also contribute to this. As for my scalp, I'm still looking for remedies, but I guess I am much calmer now :)
    aaand.. according to the pull test, my hair loss is waning, my part is getting tighter (my derm took photos of my head when it all started) WHICH I DID NOT EVEN NOTICE :D
    Sending hope to all of you who are desperate,
    Yubel

5. ChrissyB

ChrissyB Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for the update yubel. I hope this is my problem too. I have regrowth, but still look quite thin on top. Hoping that these new hairs suddenly take off and become healthy again.

6. yubel

yubel New Member

Dislikes Received:
    ChrissyB, I am also thinner on the top and front. It seems I'm shedding those short thin hairs to slowly get replaced by stronger ones. Don't give up! Iron deficiency (and other deficiencies, such as vit D, zinc, vit B, proteins) can do some nasty things to us.

7. ChrissyB

ChrissyB Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you yubel. I do know that in addition to the iron problem, my zinc is incredibly low. Working on that one as well.

8. yubel

yubel New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Best of luck to you!

9. yubel

yubel New Member

Dislikes Received:
    giving up...

well, it's been falling out again... mostly medium/short ones :( I'm starting to give up... I fear it's not getting better with iron replacement but it fluctuates. I'm afraid it's hormonal (with the seb derm and all). They don't do biopsies here for this reason so I'll never know. My only 'hope' is the blood results I'm getting this week. I'm starting to think my derm fooled me with those pictures. Sorry for ranting, I've always had waist length shiny dark hair, if not very thick but fairly beautiful...

10. yubel

yubel New Member

Dislikes Received:
    another update

I have Hashimotos but I'm not getting treatment. Yet. I'm trying to stop the negativity and actually do something. Hope everyone is doing well.